Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex TripIt Pro travel app - special perks for USA Centurion & Platinum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques

I got an email from Amex about this and tried it out. It seems to be Tripit Pro as far as I can tell. But Tripit doesn't actually work very well and I'm not sure how useful it is. Maybe when they get it completely working.

List of problems I see:

1. It said I was currently in California when I was in Amsterdam. It could know this both from my reservation as well as IP location.

2. It was terribly wrong about flight delays and told me I had zero minutes to make my connection when in fact I missed my connection by over 4 hours.

3. It is supposed to say what is in my immediate area, but said there was nothing around me.

4. It apparently cannot digest reservations where the email is in another language. It says it accepts KLM for instance, however when you book KLM out of Amtserdam, the email is of course in Dutch. Tripit couldn't handle that.

etc.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:44 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA Gold, EY Gold, US Gold, IC Gold Ambassador
I've had similar problems with TripIt. I was dissapointed to see AMEX chose TripIt over WorldMate.

If you're looking for a good travel program, try WorldMate if you haven't already.

NYB
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: Tap - Victoria Gold, AMEX Centurion
I don't get it do you have to sign up and pay for a tripit pro account to use the features with the centurion account, because that is what it is asking me to do.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by PlatHunter
.... sign up and pay for a tripit pro account to use the features with the centurion account...
Not the way I read it: If you are a Platinum Card ® member, you receive upgraded TripIt® Pro for free when you login to your Card account.

Who should I contact for support on the American Express Travel App?
Please contact 1-800-297-7500. Platinum Cardmembers, please contact 1-866-757-0086.

http://www.amextravelapp.com/faq
Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: Tap - Victoria Gold, AMEX Centurion
Originally Posted by mia
Not the way I read it: If you are a Platinum Card ® member, you receive upgraded TripIt® Pro for free when you login to your Card account.

Who should I contact for support on the American Express Travel App?
Please contact 1-800-297-7500. Platinum Cardmembers, please contact 1-866-757-0086.

http://www.amextravelapp.com/faq
Thanks I got it and you are right you don't need to pay.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:12 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by PlatHunter
I don't get it do you have to sign up and pay for a tripit pro account to use the features with the centurion account, because that is what it is asking me to do.
WHen I first did the tripit signup through the amex app, it only gave me a basic account. After I went back to the app to link my tripit account, my account was upgraded to pro
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medalion, American Express Platinum
I've had the same issue with the AMEX trip it app. When I first signed up I had a diffrent password than my AMEX account. I read it had to be the same. So I changed the password. Still no pro? I might have to give customer service a call.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:47 am

Is TripIt of any value? I got the app, then balked (at least temporarily) at signing up for yet another service.

I'll try out the "secret places" part of the App next time I'm in LA and see if it's of any value.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
It's worth pointing out that this app is for US Cents only.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by antirealist
It's worth pointing out that this app is for US Cents only.
I don't think so. The upgraded features are only for Plat/Cent but anybody can download and use the general features of the app
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Perhaps, but the point is you need to be a US Amex cardholder. From the FAQ:
Is the American Express Travel App available outside of the U.S?

The American Express Travel App is currently only available for American Express Card products issued in the U.S. by American Express. For a list of Cards issued by American Express visit americanexpress.com on your computer. If you have a U.S. American Express Card you may access the American Express Travel App while abroad but please be aware of roaming fees. Contact your carrier for specific pricing information.
It's only available for download from the US Apple Store - I have a Canadian Apple ID, and I can't access it. I use Tripit anyway, but the Pro version is limited in Canada and therefore not worth paying for, IMHO.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:34 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Originally Posted by antirealist
Perhaps, but the point is you need to be a US Amex cardholder. From the FAQ:

It's only available for download from the US Apple Store - I have a Canadian Apple ID, and I can't access it. I use Tripit anyway, but the Pro version is limited in Canada and therefore not worth paying for, IMHO.
I have a US iTunes store account but a Centurion card issued in France... I wonder if I'll have access to the special features...
Old Dec 7, 2010, 6:30 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
I've just installed the app. I managed to login using my French Amex credentials. No TripIt Pro for me though. I was offered to upgrade to TripIt Pro at the discount rate of US$ 35...
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:45 am

I wonder if there is any way to get the Tripit Pro version independent of the Amex app? I ask because I have Android and not Bbberry/iPhone and can download the pro app but not the amex app.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I was using the free version of TripIt prior to the annoucement about the app.

After 12/1 I downloaded the AMEX app, and logged in using my AMEX account, and then logged into my TripIt existing account via the AMEX app.

The good news is that it automagically upgraded my TripIt account to Pro at no cost. The bad news is that the OAUTH function needed to allow the AMEX app to access my TripIt data. I logged a support ticket with TripIt who replied that I should contact AMEX.

I reinstalled the TripIt app, and it works fine. Not sure what I'm missing by not using the release 1.0 version of the AMEX app, other than some low contrast grey screens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.