Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:03 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by fireanwater1
I haven't had the opportunity to use Amex Travel much, but when I have tried to use it, it's a bit of a let down. E.g. I wanted two cheap return tickets LHR - ZRH and Amex Travel quotes Ł113 pp for Swiss Air flights. Not too bad. Then I check the Swiss website and the same flights are available for Ł100 pp...

A bit of digging with ITA Matrix and it seems Amex Travel add on an extra fuel surcharge...
The fact that the LH group adds a 16 Euro surcharge to every GDS booking is an interesting thing to try to blame Amex for.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
The fact that the LH group adds a 16 Euro surcharge to every GDS booking is an interesting thing to try to blame Amex for.

I don't blame Amex, merely pointing out that they won't be able to drive cardholders to use it for all their travel bookings if the same itinerary can be obtained elsewhere for cheaper. Thanks for posting the link - I wondered exactly what the fee was for.

Another poster pointed out FHR, which is something where I have found value, particularly the independent hotels where I have no status.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:31 pm

Is it a known issue with the site that it double-books you for flights? Pretty annoying that I booked a single one way flight for two people and the AMEXTravel.com site booked the flight twice and charged me twice. I also paid with MR points but I didn't have enough points for the second booking. AMEX has said they canceled the second, duplicated booking...I've setup watches on the transactions to ensure it doesn't post.

Pretty annoying to say the least that I had to call after making a simple booking and spend 30 minutes on the phone trying to get the right person to fix their own mistake...
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lax01
....paid with MR points but I didn't have enough points for the second booking.......
I don't know if this will explain any of what you see, but when you Pay with Points, the full cost of the ticket is billed to your card, and points are redeemed to offset (all or some) of the transaction. If you buy tickets for more than one person, there would normally be separate transactions for each individual.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I don't know if this will explain any of what you see, but when you Pay with Points, the full cost of the ticket is billed to your card, and points are redeemed to offset (all or some) of the transaction. If you buy tickets for more than one person, there would normally be separate transactions for each individual.
Yeah, I knew they charged the card and then offset with the MR credit...that was clear. However, there was only one charge for both pax...

AMEX Travel sent me two unique trip IDs for some reason...its been resolved as they canceled the Trip that wasn't going to be offset by points
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:08 pm
mia

.... only one charge for both pax...

If you are looking at charges that are still pending, things may change quite a bit when they post.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If you are looking at charges that are still pending, things may change quite a bit when they post.
Yeah, they said one of the charges wouldn't actually post since it was canceled... *cross fingers*
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, BA Gold, AA 1MM, LM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D6, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
Question Multi City for Tier Point Runs - Tips?

Is there any trick to getting the website to allow multi city bookings for valid advertised fares, or must we always phone it in and wait on hold while they "find a supervisor" to "make a one time exception" to waive the booking fee?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:03 pm

Is it a known issue with the site that it double-books you for flights? Pretty annoying that I booked a single one way flight for two people and the AMEXTravel.com site booked the flight twice and charged me twice. I also paid with MR points but I didn't have enough points for the second booking. AMEX has said they canceled the second, duplicated booking...I've setup watches on the transactions to ensure it doesn't post.

Pretty annoying to say the least that I had to call after making a simple booking and spend 30 minutes on the phone trying to get the right person to fix their own mistake...
After reading this forum (due to making a hotel booking using Amex Platinum for 5x points), and calling the hotel (as suggested by many), AmexTravel screwed it up. The hotel believes I have booked 4 rooms for 3 nights. They just told me they cannot fix it as it's 3rd party, and I'll have to contact AmexTravel. Wonderful! /s
lax01 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by pilsn3r
After reading this forum (due to making a hotel booking using Amex Platinum for 5x points), and calling the hotel (as suggested by many), AmexTravel screwed it up. The hotel believes I have booked 4 rooms for 3 nights. They just told me they cannot fix it as it's 3rd party, and I'll have to contact AmexTravel. Wonderful! /s
Once I got the right person at AMEX Travel, they were able to fix it pretty easily...the dupe charge never posted
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: Amex
Amex travel portal and first class availability

I have 3 amex platinum business cards. Was lucky enough to get 50% bonus points last year. This year it’s down to 35% when booking first class tickets or from my selected airline. I have noticed no or very limited availability of first class tickets when using the Amex travel site. All other travel sites and the airline sites show plenty availability for the exact same flights. Is amex trying to stiff me out of getting my first class ticket at a discounted price?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: Amex
I figured it out. What was first class on all the other sites was business on AMEX. Sometimes it gets confusing.
mia and 808traveler like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:49 am

Extra miles

Wife got some unexpected miles by booking with amextravel. Booked with Hawaiian airlines for myself and son 1 to take advantage of companion fare. My wife booked with amextravel for herself and son 2 (same flights as ours). She paid with her amex biz plat. We all included our hawaiian miles loyalty numbers. When we got our miles after the travel, all the rest of us (including son 2) got 100 miles for the interisland flights, but my wife got 500 miles (each way), so she got 800 more total. None of us have any elite status. Some extra hidden benefit for her booking with amextravel and holding the biz plat?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:59 pm
mia

Originally Posted by 808traveler
....hidden benefit for her booking with amextravel and holding the biz plat?
More likely to be a difference in the fare codes into which the flights were booked.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by mia
More likely to be a difference in the fare codes into which the flights were booked.
Sure, but then why didn't son #2 get the miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.