Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA lifetime platinum; Hyatt diamond;
Can't retrieve flight booking on amextravel.com

I've met this problem recently on all my reservations (I made 3 flight reservations recently on amextravel.com) - I can't view my trip on amextravel.com.
The error message is "- We were unable to find your trip details. Please check that you have entered your credentials correctly before retrying."
Called customer service and they can see the reservation without problem. One agent even said that he can see the trip by putting trip id and email, just like what I did. He said it might be my browser problem which I don't think so.
Has anyone had this problem?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:42 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by angelsun
I....might be my browser problem which I don't think so.....
Have you tested by using a different browser or opening an Incognito or private browser window?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Can I book via the site to get the 2x points (UK Platinum) even if the hotel rooms are not for me? I will be traveling at the same time, checking in at the same time, but will need to do seperate bookings as some friends are there 6x nights and others 5 and 10 for example.

Thanks,
Mark
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:02 am

I have the Business Platinum card (USA). Will I be receiving 5X points on flight bookings made with AmexTravel call center? Or does the 5X benefit apply to bookings on the website only? Thank you!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:25 pm

FHR question, if this isn't the right place please let me know and I'll redirect it!

I am only able to reserve hotels through 12/31/18, no one on the Amex side has been able to tell me why I can't book a January or later room through FHR. Does anyone have any insight as to whether this is normal, a glitch, or if I am searching in the wrong place? Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:53 pm
mia

This is normal:

When does AmEx renew FHR contracts?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Thanks! I had no idea this was such a horrible issue every year. I guess it makes sense for AmEx to save money by not allowing cardmembers to use this "benefit" for the first 4 or 5 months of each year. Definitely makes me rethink keeping the card next anniversary!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:36 pm
mia

Originally Posted by ashap
....not allowing cardmembers to use this "benefit" for the first 4 or 5 months of each year. ....
What gives you this impression?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by marconess
Can I book via the site to get the 2x points (UK Platinum) even if the hotel rooms are not for me? I will be traveling at the same time, checking in at the same time, but will need to do seperate bookings as some friends are there 6x nights and others 5 and 10 for example.
I recently booked prepaid rooms in Bangkok for a friend, no problem. Even scored the recent 10k points bonus (US) off one of the bookings.

Originally Posted by ashap
I guess it makes sense for AmEx to save money by not allowing cardmembers to use this "benefit" for the first 4 or 5 months of each year. Definitely makes me rethink keeping the card next anniversary!
lol it's because they don't have rates negotiated past 12/31.

AMEX makes money by selling FHR bookings, they have absolutely no incentive to "deny" members this benefit.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum
I haven't had the opportunity to use Amex Travel much, but when I have tried to use it, it's a bit of a let down. E.g. I wanted two cheap return tickets LHR - ZRH and Amex Travel quotes Ł113 pp for Swiss Air flights. Not too bad. Then I check the Swiss website and the same flights are available for Ł100 pp...

A bit of digging with ITA Matrix and it seems Amex Travel add on an extra fuel surcharge...
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fireanwater1
I haven't had the opportunity to use Amex Travel much, but when I have tried to use it, it's a bit of a let down. E.g. I wanted two cheap return tickets LHR - ZRH and Amex Travel quotes Ł113 pp for Swiss Air flights. Not too bad. Then I check the Swiss website and the same flights are available for Ł100 pp...
That's not really where you're going to get value using AMEX travel. FHR for the great in-stay benefits, prepaid hotels for 5x points, and international business class using IAP. And possibly a complex itinerary involving multiple carriers where their personalized service adds extra value.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:00 am
mia

Originally Posted by Kacee
.... prepaid hotels for 5x points, and international business class using IAP......
Note that fireanwater1 appears to have a card issued in the UK, where the features are different.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by mia
Note that fireanwater1 appears to have a card issued in the UK, where the features are different.
For the UK you get 3x points on Amex Travel if using the Gold card. You get 2x points for airlines and 2x for non-GBP (but with 3% FX surcharge). If you book on a foreign airline in non-GBP apparently you get 3x.

This doesn't seem stellar but for UK cards is considered among the most generous. The FX surcharge means that for UK travellers it's better to use something like Revolut or TransferWise when abroad - or a card which doesn't have any FX surcharge, like the Barclaycard Platinum VISA or the Halifax Clarity. The Amex Platinum UK is absolutely useless for earnings - it's just about the benefits only.

There's rumours that Curve might soon accept Amex cards (like they used to).
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:28 pm

Amex Travel portal

Can anyone get the Ontario, California airport to come up when booking flights in the travel port. ONT.
https://travel.americanexpress.com/travel/home

is it just me? Or is it broken for everyone?

Also, sorry for thr crappy title, I clicked submit too fast and I cant edit it.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:05 pm

Works fine for me -- I typed in Ontario, California

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.