Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by curl
... I want to get the FHR benefits, can I book elsewhere?
No, and to receive FHR benefits you must book the FHR rate:

https://www.americanexpressfhr.com

FINE HOTELS & RESORTS:

Valid only for new FINE HOTELS & RESORTS bookings made through Platinum Travel Service, Business Platinum Travel Service, Centurion Travel Service, americanexpress.com/fhr, any American Express Travel offices or the Agency Services Desk. Payment must be made in full with an American Express Card in the Platinum Card Member's or Centurion® Member's name. Available for Platinum Charge Card Members and Centurion® Members only, and excludes Platinum Credit Card Members such as Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Card Members who are not also Platinum Charge Card Members. Card Member must travel on itinerary booked to be eligible for benefits described. Noon check-in and room upgrade are based on availability and are provided at check-in. Breakfast amenity varies by property, but will be, at a minimum, a continental breakfast. Complimentary In-Room Wi-Fi is provided, with the exception of explora Patagonia where In-Room Wi-Fi is not available. In this instance, complimentary Wi-Fi will be provided in a common space on property. In the case where a Property includes cost of Wi-Fi in a mandatory resort fee, the Card Member will receive a daily credit from the Property in the standard amount that the Property charges for Wi-Fi. The credit will be issued on the Card Members final statement upon check-out. Benefit restrictions vary by FINE HOTELS & RESORTS property and cannot be redeemed for cash, and may not be combined with other offers unless indicated. Advance reservations are recommended for services such as spa, dining or golf in order to take advantage of the FINE HOTELS & RESORTS special amenity during your stay. Benefits and additional FINE HOTELS & RESORTS promotions are only applied at checkout and expire at checkout. Limit one benefit package per room, per stay. Three room limit per Card Member, per stay; back-to-back stays within a 24-hour period at the same property considered one stay. Participating FINE HOTELS & RESORTS properties and benefits are subject to change.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:53 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Newly upgraded from amex personal gold rewards to platinum here, does anyone know if airfare booked on amextravel.com will earn 6x (5x spend + 1x via amextravel) MR points?

Previously the gold card earns 4x (3x on spend then 1x through amextravel.com) on the site but just want to check, otherwise I'll just book direct with airline website.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:09 pm
mia

2X Points:
Membership Rewards-enrolled Card Members get at least 1 Membership Rewards® point for every eligible dollar spent on their Membership Rewards program-enrolled American Express® Card. Those same Card Members will also get at least 1 additional point for each dollar of eligible travel purchases made on amextravel.com on their Membership Rewards program-enrolled American Express Card. Eligible travel purchases include all travel purchases made with your Membership Rewards program-enrolled American Express® Card on amextravel.com, including air, prepaid hotels, vacation packages (flight + hotel packages) or cruise reservations, minus returns and other credits. Platinum and Business Platinum Card Members are only eligible for 1 additional point on cruise reservations. Eligible travel purchases do NOT include car reservations, non-prepaid hotels, ticketing service or other fees, or interest charges. Bonuses you may receive with your Card on other purchase categories or in connection with promotions or offers from American Express may not be combined with this offer, such as 5X bonuses for Platinum and Business Platinum Card Members. Any portion of a charge that you elect to cover through redemption of Membership Rewards points is not eligible to receive points. If you have an Amex EveryDay Card product, additional points awarded under this offer will not be included in the extra points benefit. Additional points will be credited to the Membership Rewards account 10-12 weeks after final payment is made.
Pay with Points:
https://travel.americanexpress.com/home
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:24 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by mia
Right that's what I read as well but thought to check if data point differs. Looks like the 4x only applies to amex gold then so I'll save the booking fee and book direct then.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mia
No, and to receive FHR benefits you must book the FHR rate:

https://www.americanexpressfhr.com
I figured. Today, Property shows $439/night on search results. I click through and it’s $541/night. 😡
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
So I was checking flights from YYZ to FRA and the price are exactly the same with Air Canada. Unless you have the $200 travel credit then, might as well book it with Air Canada, or unless you get a multiplier for the points. This is in Canada...

So question do we bonus points for booking flights in Canada?

Edit: Looks like only 1 additional points per $!

Additional Membership Rewards® point Offer
Basic Cardmembers enrolled in the American Express Membership Rewards® Program that book travel through the American Express Travel website will earn one additional bonus Membership Rewards point for every dollar charged to their eligible card for hotel and car rental bookings (less credits and adjustments) where American Express Travel (not the hotel or car rental company) is the merchant. The number of bonus Membership Rewards points is calculated by multiplying each eligible transaction by one subject to rounding. Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards Program apply.

Eligible Cards include: The American Express® Card, American Express® Gold Rewards Card, Platinum Card®, Centurion® Card, American Express CobaltTM Card, Choice Card from American ExpressTM, ChoicePlus Card from American ExpressTM, The Business Platinum CardTM from American Express, American Express® Business Gold Rewards Card, American Express®Corporate Card, American Express® Corporate Gold Card, American Express® Corporate Platinum Card, and the Platinum Credit Card.

Last edited by BRAISKI; Feb 15, 2018 at 11:13 am
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:27 am
mia

..., Property shows $439/night on search results. I click through and it’s $541/night.
Are you expecting the FHR rate to be the same as the lowest rate, or are you finding that the FHR rate changes from one step to another?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Are you expecting the FHR rate to be the same as the lowest rate, or are you finding that the FHR rate changes from one step to another?
From first to second step on FHR site.

It is not taxes, clearly stated that we will be charged those additionally at check out at hotel.

​​​​​​​
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:02 pm
mia

When I perform the initial search by location the rate displayed for the Fairmont is $503. That screen does not display the room type. When I click through the lowest rate offered is $541, same as you see. Various links on the page do not seem to do anything.

When I look on fairmont.com the lowest rate I see is also $503.

I cannot explain the discrepancies between the two pages, nor between what you see and what I see, but I attribute it to technical incompetence.
curl likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:51 pm

Is there a way to get the confirmation number for the hotel? Do you have to call Amex to get it? I see two numbers on email but they aren't the actual hotel confirm numbers. TY!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Is there a way to get the confirmation number for the hotel? Do you have to call Amex to get it? I see two numbers on email but they aren't the actual hotel confirm numbers. TY!
My Amex confirmation documents through FHR have the hotel confirmation numbers contained within.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:27 pm

Using partner Frequent Flyer # when booking on Amex Travel

I'm trying to book an Aeromexico flight on Amex Travel, and I want to enter my Delta FFN. However, the checkout only gives the option for AeroMexico. Has anyone else handled this situation?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by lovegtm
I'm trying to book an Aeromexico flight on Amex Travel, and I want to enter my Delta FFN. However, the checkout only gives the option for AeroMexico. Has anyone else handled this situation?
It's same with other airlines. You can add or change the airline receiving credit after booking. Once you have the locator number, and can edit your info (except name, DOB) directly with the airline.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
if a hotel is on Amex FHR and you book through them, can you still get cashback for an amex offer?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:24 am
mia

Orbitz data breach exposed 880,000 payment cards

Orbitz announced today that it has discovered evidence of a data breach, making it just another of the many companies recently afflicted. Between October and December of last year, hackers may have accessed consumer data submitted to a legacy website between January 1, 2016 and June 22, 2016. Additionally, Orbitz partner platform data submitted between January 1, 2016 and December 22, 2017 may also have been breached. The company discovered signs of the breach on March 1st and estimates that approximately 880,000 credit cards may have been impacted.
https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/20/...payment-cards/

Orbitz partner platform data, such as travel booked via Amex Travel, submitted between January 1st, 2016 and December 22nd, 2017 may have also been compromised.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/1...h-credit-cards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.