Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]

Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Moody Blues
I just received this card 2 weeks ago and have booked 5RT flights through the AMEX travel site thinking I am racking up points. I was just on the phone with MR and the fellow tells me I am only getting credit for 2X points through the Amex travel site vs 3X points i could be getting booking directly though the airline or with a site like Travelocity.

Can someone shed some light on this topic?
I thought it was 3x points + 2x points since you are using the Amex travel site
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:34 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

americanexpress.com/travel is operated by Travelocity. When you book through this site you will earn a total of four points per dollar:

• 1 point for paying with the card
  • 2 points for purchasing airfare
  • 1 point for using American Express Travel

This assumes that the airfare is billed by the airline, and not by the travel agency. This is usually the case for flights, but not for packages.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:07 pm

I guess I will see what happens when the points settle. The guy on the phone was very specific and said he had fielded this question to many others...
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:36 pm

I guess this is a slightly stupid question, but am I correct in assuming that it is NOT possible to book premium economy tickets on americanexpress.com/travel ? My family has a plat card so we're looking to get the 2x points.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by Niomi
it is NOT possible to book premium economy tickets on americanexpress.com/travel ?
Your are only half correct. I looked into this a few months ago.
You cannot book Premium Eco tickets on the Amex Travel Website (which uses travelocity). However, you can book Premium Eco tickets on the phone with Platinum Travel Services. There is a booking fee and you won't get 2x points...
I have shared my disappointment with Amex about this and am hoping others will too.

In the meantime, I book premium eco tickets with miles, directly on the airline's website, after having transfered MR points to my favorite airline's miles program.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Cypriote
You cannot book Premium Eco tickets on the Amex Travel Website (which uses travelocity). However, you can book Premium Eco tickets on the phone with Platinum Travel Services. There is a booking fee and you won't get 2x points... I have shared my disappointment with Amex about this and am hoping others will too.
Thanks for the informative reply, I will mention it to them as well. It would sure be nice if they would at least credit those points since they aren't selling those tickets on their own site. I had been hoping to buy prem. economy on their site and get an upgrade with miles.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:04 am
mia

... hoping to buy prem. economy on their site and get an upgrade with miles.
On which airline?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by mia
On which airline?
United or another StarAlliance, SFO-LHR - do you have any tips for trying to do that?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:45 am

Amex travel site: why are the fares so different?

I'm trying to book business SFO-CDG-LHR-CDG-SFO on Air France; I've found that it is not more expensive to travel to LHR via CDG, so am trying to organize it so that I have some days in Paris in between each segment.

On both Travelocity and Kayak, the lowest fare for the specific set of flights I'm looking at is $2980.

When I go to search for this on Amex's site, it lists it at $4095.

When I do regular round trip SFO-LHR on both Travelocity and Amex, the specific flight I'm looking for is listed at $2870 on Travelocity but $4156 on Amex - although I could book a different arrival flight for roughly the same price on Amex. I'm trying to do multi-city, though, so that's not a viable option.

So it looks like Amex is giving out vastly different fares for the same tickets... any ideas on why? Does this often happen?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:37 am

Are both quotes inclusive of all taxes and fees? Fuel surcharges in particular can add hundreds to a fare (at the whim of each airline) and departures from some European cities, especially in a premium class, likewise can be hefty.

(Waving the U.S. flag a bit, it costs relatively nothing to depart from our airports)
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:46 am
mia

The booking site at americanexpress.com/travel is operated by Travelocity, and should return the same prices, plus a booking fee which is no longer charged on travelocity.com . The booking fee would not account for differences of this magnitude. It is possible that Travelocity holds some inventory in a specific fare bucket and chooses not to release it on the co-branded American Express site. I would look at an unrelated site, such as Expedia, to see if the fare they offer is closer to the Travelocity or American Express quote.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by JohnAx
Are both quotes inclusive of all taxes and fees? Fuel surcharges in particular can add hundreds to a fare (at the whim of each airline) and departures from some European cities, especially in a premium class, likewise can be hefty.
Yes it's inclusive of everything -- I went to the last stage of ordering with both and the final quote was $1000 different....
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by mia
It is possible that Travelocity holds some inventory in a specific fare bucket and chooses not to release it on the co-branded American Express site. I would look at an unrelated site, such as Expedia, to see if the fare they offer is closer to the Travelocity or American Express quote.
On Kayak it shows up as the cheaper fare with both Cheaptickets and Orbitz -- I'll check on Expeida in a second. You're probably right about them holding the tickets. I wonder if they ever release them?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:20 am

I searched again this morning: now AmEx is indeed showing me my $3000 fare but with a connection at an inconvenient time -- if I want the ideal connection it becomes $1000 more. This system is so temperamental! I wonder if I could just buy the ticket and then call Air France and get it changed - seems doubtful though...

Looking on Expedia, it will not give me the exact fare I'm looking for at a cheaper price; Kayak is still showing it, however.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I'm trying to book business SFO-CDG-LHR-CDG-SFO on Air France; I've found that it is not more expensive to travel to LHR via CDG, so am trying to organize it so that I have some days in Paris in between each segment.

On both Travelocity and Kayak, the lowest fare for the specific set of flights I'm looking at is $2980.

When I go to search for this on Amex's site, it lists it at $4095.

When I do regular round trip SFO-LHR on both Travelocity and Amex, the specific flight I'm looking for is listed at $2870 on Travelocity but $4156 on Amex - although I could book a different arrival flight for roughly the same price on Amex. I'm trying to do multi-city, though, so that's not a viable option.

So it looks like Amex is giving out vastly different fares for the same tickets... any ideas on why? Does this often happen?
Are you comparing the same fare buckets? Refundable, changeable, advance purchase, minimum stay? Also, what are cancellation consequences, change fees? Also, what happens when booking directly with AF?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.