FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   If I cancel MR card will i lose points even if I have another MR card? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1147009-if-i-cancel-mr-card-will-i-lose-points-even-if-i-have-another-mr-card.html)

magicspot Nov 11, 2010 9:14 pm

If I cancel MR card will i lose points even if I have another MR card?

If I have two amex mr earning cards say an amex business gold and an amex premier rewards gold personal card and I cancel the premier rewards gold card will i lose the mr points earned from that card if i keep the other mr account open?

if so how can i preserve points from the active card and spend points from the inactive?

thanks!

mlad1101 Nov 11, 2010 10:04 pm

No you wont. If you notice when you log into Amex all of your points are combined into one balance, not separated by card. As long as you keep one card open all of your points with remain intact.

robertw477 Nov 12, 2010 10:56 am

This is not the case with Citibank Thankyou points. I had about 500K they initially deducted form my account. I called and got the card reinstated due to this. It is amazing that there is no regulation of these point programs. If you earn the points and save them they should have no right to take them. And if this was to be the case they should inform you prior to any card account closing. These programs are too big right now to allow this t ohappen.

Rob

saatx Nov 12, 2010 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by magicspot (Post 15124151)
If I have two amex mr earning cards say an amex business gold and an amex premier rewards gold personal card and I cancel the premier rewards gold card will i lose the mr points earned from that card if i keep the other mr account open?

if so how can i preserve points from the active card and spend points from the inactive?

thanks!

The answer is no. You will not lose the points as long you have one active card to fund that MR account you are ok, but make sure they had already combined those accounts for earning MR. I had to call in and combine my business and personal MR accounts cause when they open the account somehow they gave me 2 seperate MR numbers.
Just make sure thats not the case with you.

theseeker Dec 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Cancelling Business Gold what will happen to MR points if i still have Personal Gold?

I have about $5,000 charges on my amex gold business card and i would want to cancel it.

I also have a personal premier gold rewards card so both points are going to my MR number.

Question is what will happen to my amex gold business card charges if i close it, The bill will be jan 3.

Will the MR points i will earn on jan 3 billing be added to my existing MR number?

thanks!

derby44 Dec 23, 2010 7:19 am

My understanding is if you have one active AMEX that earns MR points closing another account won't affect your points.

nsr Dec 23, 2010 10:06 am

If the points are "Earned" then they will definitely stay in your MR account.
However for charge cards Amex sets the points as "Pending" until the next statement and bill paid in full. I don't know what happens in this case. To be on the safe side I would call after the Jan 3rd bill paid in full and ask them to change the points from pending to earned.