Wiki Posts
Search

Combine/Gift/Transfer Membership Rewards Points

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SM-GM ~ PC-PM ~ HGP-PM ~ SPG-GM
Combine/Gift/Transfer Membership Rewards Points

I did a google search and searched amex's website, and didn't come up with an answer...

Can I gift/transfer membership rewards points from my account to another card members membership rewards account? Is there a fee?

thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:41 am
Original Poster

anyone?
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Customer service may manually perform a transfer on an exception basis, but it's not a published feature of the program.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Customer service may manually perform a transfer on an exception basis, but it's not a published feature of the program.
thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
It is not directly what you are asking and you may already know,but you can transfer points from two membership rewards accounts to 1 frequent flier account. This could come in handy if you were trying to redeem reward tickets out of one BA or DL (or any partner's) account.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Possible to combine/transfer MR points for my account and my wife's?

I realize this is kind of an MR newbie question, but in doing a search I haven't found the answer. I recently opened an MR account, taking advantage of a bonus points offer for getting and using the Amex. My wife might do the same. And in fact it's possible that we'll get additional cards for additional bonus points.

Is it possible to combine our MR accounts into one household MR account (such as BA allows)? In the alternative, is it possible to easily transfer points from one account to another within the same household for free (as Starwood allows)? (Simply getting a second card for my wife to use on one account would not suit our purposes, since we'd like to accumulate the bonus points.)

The last post (2007) I found re the transfer question indicated that it was possible to transfer up to 25,000 points for a fee. So I'm wondering if there's any updated info. I'll of course call MR re this to get the official answer, but I find that sometimes I get additional useful info from drawing on the wise heads here at FT, including occasionally more correct info if I reach a poor CSR.

FWIW, down the line we'd likely use the points for all or part of two tickets on an MR airline partner, possibly Emirates.

Thanks for any help and advice.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 4:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
You can't pool miles like BA, but you can transfer points to each others linked accounts. So if you needed 50,000 Continental miles and only had 20,000 in your MR account and your wife had a boatload, she could "send" MR points your way. All you have to do is link your freq flyer/ hotel accounts to her Membership Rewards and transfer as needed.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for the quick and useful reply. But is it possible for her to simply send her MR points to my MR account? Or is it only possible for her to send her MR points to my FF (e.g., Emirates) or hotel account to which my MR account is linked?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks for the quick and useful reply. But is it possible for her to simply send her MR points to my MR account? Or is it only possible for her to send her MR points to my FF (e.g., Emirates) or hotel account to which my MR account is linked?
No- she can't send her MR to your MR. And yes, she can send to your FF/hotel accounts.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks very much, yet again! And a final question: Is there a limit on the number of points she can transfer?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks very much, yet again! And a final question: Is there a limit on the number of points she can transfer?
Not that I'm aware of
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by mia
Mia, do you have any idea whether they would allow from a UK account to a US account?

Appreciate any insight you may have.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
Mia, do you have any idea whether they would allow from a UK account to a US account?
If the same cardholder has Membership Rewards accounts issued in different countries it is possible to have points transferred from one account to the other. This will not be a 1:1 transfer, it will be based on the exchange rate of the billing currencies.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:43 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by mia
If the same cardholder has Membership Rewards accounts issued in different countries it is possible to have points transferred from one account to the other. This will not be a 1:1 transfer, it will be based on the exchange rate of the currencies.
Hi Mia

re your post 3

thanks for the prompt response and I have done that myself between Aust and the US, unfortunately i moved them when the USD was quite a bit stronger than the AUD, now we have the AUD worth more than the US, I should have waited it out as I haven't used the points, but my question was more to do with my understanding of your previous post and that was can a card member from the UK transfer to another card member in the US?

Last edited by Tim O'Brien; Nov 7, 2010 at 8:47 pm Reason: additional information for clarification
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:49 pm

Trying to link frequent flyer accounts on my MR Points Summary page and after entering account info, when I go to click on the LINK button it doesn't work... Any reason why? I have 2 accounts linked previously. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.