Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Travel Benefits for [USA] Platinum Card and Centurion Card members [15-Sep-2010]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Travel Benefits for [USA] Platinum Card and Centurion Card members [15-Sep-2010]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
Having to charge the airfare to the card to use the $200 credit truly waters down the "benefit" of this.

How 'bout if one is travelling on a miles redemption ticket and charges the taxes/fees to the Plat card, would the credit be available then?

Best part of the card for me was the CO/AA lounge access. The $200 credit could have been a reasonable subsitute w/o the requirement to charge the airfare to the card. Not sure its worth renewing now.
I think we all share the same sentiments!
Old Oct 8, 2010, 9:16 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Having to charge the airfare to the card to use the $200 credit truly waters down the "benefit" of this.
Why? I'm not saying I cannot think of an explanation, but I'd like to know your reasons.

Originally Posted by mnmag
I think we all share the same sentiments!
I think it's very premature to reach a conclusion, let alone assert that there is a consensus. We haven't seen the list of eligible carriers. We don't know what American Express's system will recognize as a ticket purchase. We don't know what American Express's system will recognize as an incidental expense in conjunction with a ticket purchase. Why the rush to dismiss a 44% refund of your annual fee on the basis of speculation?

Last edited by mia; Oct 8, 2010 at 9:34 am
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:21 am

Best use of the $200 credit

The $200 benefit would be most applicable to the airline you DON'T have status on, but would take for personal travel over your usual airline. Why would you do this? Because of the airfare differential.

I'm planning a personal Christmas-time trip to DFW. Fares for DL and UA hover around $600 round trip. Virgin America, however, has their fares at $325 for the same trip. With no elite benefits on VX, I'd have to pay for baggage fees and in-flight meals. Voila! Perfect use of the $200 benefit.

Here's a question: Assuming VX makes it into the list of selected airlines, I'm wondering if I could charge my airfare before December 1, and then pick VX as my preferred airline once the benefit goes live?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:46 am
mia

Originally Posted by romeoguy
Because of the airfare differential.
-OR- because your primary carriers don't serve a destination. My mother had the audacity to move to a market that is only served by commuter airlines affiliated with carriers I prefer not to fly.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
-OR- because your primary carriers don't serve a destination. My mother had the audacity to move to a market that is only served by commuter airlines affiliated with carriers I prefer not to fly.
LOL!
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Why? I'm not saying I cannot think of an explanation, but I'd like to know your reasons.

I think it's very premature to reach a conclusion, let alone assert that there is a consensus. We haven't seen the list of eligible carriers. We don't know what American Express's system will recognize as a ticket purchase. We don't know what American Express's system will recognize as an incidental expense in conjunction with a ticket purchase. Why the rush to dismiss a 44% refund of your annual fee on the basis of speculation?
I was only commenting on the consensus -- here on this thread! Clearly, I have no clue as to what the thousands of other cardholders who have not weighed-in here -- are thinking!

I think it's ridiculous that AmEx spent a lot of time, effort & $ to apprise us of these upcoming 'benefits' in the splashing brochure, -- yet give little to no detail beyond what we've already received via e-mail notifications!

I find it odd that they won't divulge the list of 'eligible' carriers (perfect opportunity to do lots of 'marketing,' all around) & the fact that we must make a 'claim' for the charges, after they are made, -- ie. making us 'work' for the benefit -- with no assurance that it will qualify under the program.

I don't see myself charging an airline tkt to the Plat card (vs. Pref Gold) when it's not clear what charges will be reimbursed & we are at the mercy of the participating airlines to process those incidental charges to conform with AmEx's system!
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:25 am

I don't see myself charging an airline tkt to the Plat card (vs. Pref Gold)
Especially if they turn the PR Gold into a Gold-Platinum alloy as suggested by the survey I filled out the other day - some details available here.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Okto
Especially if they turn the PR Gold into a Gold-Platinum alloy as suggested by the survey I filled out the other day - some details available here.
Wow -- very interesting!
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by mia
Hi mia,

For purely personal travel, it would not be a problem to purchase the airfare with the card. However, a majority of my travel is for business, purchased through a corporate travel agent on a corporate (non AMEX) card. Thus the % time that I would be able to use this benefit is greatly reduced v. the time I spend overall on airplanes. So the $200 benefit is not a simple "rebate" for me, and I suspect others.

I understand AMEX's desire to drive more purchases to the card, but would it not be very simple to "lop off" the first $200 of non airfare charges from whatever airline cardholders designate? Then you would have a benefit that would truly be useful, while allowing AMEX to negotiate some kind of discount for these charges/services.

Thx,

Last edited by mia; Oct 8, 2010 at 11:51 am Reason: fixed quotation formatting
Old Oct 8, 2010, 4:54 pm
mia

... very simple to "lop off" the first $200 of non airfare charges from whatever airline cardholders designate?
Simple, but also expensive. The relationship with Continental is valuable to many Platinum and Centurion cardholders, but not to all. Many have never redeemed for OnePass miles or entered a Presidents Club. American Express needs to devise benefits which will be consumed by a similar proportion of the cardholders, and this means there needs to be some impediments. It's easier to reduce the hurdles later than to raise them.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 3:44 am

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
I currently only fly domestically. None of the airlines I fly have lounges except United. The latter being Frontier & Southwest. The CO lounge closed at DEN last year. Therefore only RCC which are not included are not an option. It would be great if they would just comp a Priority Pass on the Amex Plat.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 2:03 pm

I think it will be difficult for AMEX to match up incidental charges to airline ticket purchases especially if the airline ticket was purchased through travel agent, orbitz, etc.

Either they are bluffing on the ticket charge requirement and will comp all incidental charges up to $200 on your selected airline, or this will entail multiple calls to the customer service center if they cant match your incidental charges to a AMEX Platinum / Centurian ticket charge.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 3:20 pm
mia

Originally Posted by KenP
.... difficult for AMEX to match up incidental charges to airline ticket purchases especially if the airline ticket was purchased through travel agent, orbitz, etc.....
When you purchase a ticket through (for example) Expedia the credit card transaction is still submitted by the airline.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
At first glance, I was pretty excited about the new $200 travel benefit, but now I'm not, because of all of the restrictive fine print:

1) All of my business travel must be charged to my corporate card, so I can't use the benefit for those flights.

2) My parents and SO, who are additional cardholders, don't get this benefit since the fine print specifies it is only for the primary card holder

Also, lounge access is the #1 and only reason I pay for additional cards on my account. With PC access gone and only adding the US Airways Clubs, this benefit is greatly diminished. Too bad.

I really hope Amex kicks in some more benefits, but I'm not holding my breath. Remember when they removed the 4 domestic companion free tickets and promised that they were working on adding other benefits? I'm still waiting.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:15 am
Suspended

I think it's ridiculous that AmEx spent a lot of time, effort & $ to apprise us of these upcoming 'benefits' in the splashing brochure, -- yet give little to no detail beyond what we've already received via e-mail notifications!
Originally Posted by sdix
I've been in sales and marketing all my life and for the life of me i don't understand the time, energy, effort and expense AMEX have gone to with these "enhancements."
ummm... it's a lead up to the announcement... that... the annual fee... is... INCREASING!!

Last edited by QueerEyeForDelta; Oct 15, 2010 at 9:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.