Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Travel Benefits for [USA] Platinum Card and Centurion Card members [15-Sep-2010]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Travel Benefits for [USA] Platinum Card and Centurion Card members [15-Sep-2010]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:34 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
AMEX really has their marketing department on this. Today I received a rather elaborate brochure/booklet in the mail on the new benefits. It came in a large silver envelope that read, "Coming in December 2010: The Next Generation of the Platinum Card. Transforming travel. Again." The funny thing was that it didn't actually have any additional details on the new benefits, compared to the letter we all recently received. (But it did direct me to a new web page they have set up: www.americanexpress.com/transformtravel)
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dw
AMEX really has their marketing department on this. Today I received a rather elaborate brochure/booklet in the mail on the new benefits. It came in a large silver envelope that read, "Coming in December 2010: The Next Generation of the Platinum Card. Transforming travel. Again." The funny thing was that it didn't actually have any additional details on the new benefits, compared to the letter we all recently received. (But it did direct me to a new web page they have set up: www.americanexpress.com/transformtravel)
I received this too. I was glad for the reminder to call in and downgrade to gold ... I've been meaning to d that.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy
I received this too. I was glad for the reminder to call in and downgrade to gold ... I've been meaning to d that.
+1!!!! It is hilarious that AMEX thinks these are really "added benefits"! Give me a break! As an Elite on the major airlines, nothing they offer is useful to me... Seems as if Gold Amex has more promotions anyway and they don't have the higher annual fee. I am so tired of seeing all the Gold promos and nothing of value for Plat.

C'mon Man!!!
Old Sep 30, 2010, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by artyam
+1!!!! It is hilarious that AMEX thinks these are really "added benefits"! Give me a break! As an Elite on the major airlines, nothing they offer is useful to me... Seems as if Gold Amex has more promotions anyway and they don't have the higher annual fee. I am so tired of seeing all the Gold promos and nothing of value for Plat.

C'mon Man!!!
I've been in sales and marketing all my life and for the life of me i don't understand the time, energy, effort and expense AMEX have gone to with these "enhancements."

All I can think is that they don't actually pay for and use their product. If their executive staff qualified for a Centurion and had to pay for it themselves maybe they would see that the traveling public is getting less benefits year after year.

How does "picking" and airline for $200 credit benefit me? Since they actually haven't published a list of those airlines I actually don't know if it can but I guess we'll see come December.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: Continental Platinum, Continental Presidential Plus, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, American Express Platinum
My personal favorite among the new benefits is the travel app. Don't know how I've lived without it.
But seriously, not happy about the requirement to book the flight via Amex to take advantage of the $200 airline credit . . .most of my travel is on business and I'm required to use a non-Amex corporate card.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Yea -- a travel app. Wt wt... None of these "benefits" interest me at all.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Yea -- a travel app. Wt wt...
I know. I can't believe they are even advertising that as a "benefit". Watch it will be loaded with ads too. I guess just like Departures is a "benefit".
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
Originally Posted by gallardo
I know. I can't believe they are even advertising that as a "benefit". Watch it will be loaded with ads too. I guess just like Departures is a "benefit".
Departures is a benefit, and the ads are the best part.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
LOL @ travel app being a beneift........ wait i dont have an iphone
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:29 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, DL Plat, UAL Silv, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam, Avis First
Originally Posted by jammanxc
LOL @ travel app being a beneift........ wait i dont have an iphone
you beat me to it. I was going to ask if the app comes with an iphone.

At first I missed the requirement that you have to buy the ticket using the card and I was mildly pleased. Now that's gone.
All my business travel (most of my travel) is done using the corp credit card so all these stupid benefits are worthless to me.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:14 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Other than putting together "benefits" and then possibly keeping up with rants here on FT and elsewhere, why doesn't AMEX just conduct a formal poll of its paying members and thus determine what benefits their customers would most like to have? I understand that the choices would have to be within the realm of the possible - but right now it seems that the company is very out of touch with what its customers would actually appreciate in terms of benefits, at least judging by this thread and my own personal situation (I too do not consider the "enhancements" in their current form to be of much practical use).

Just my 2 cents.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by tangfish
why doesn't AMEX just conduct a formal poll of its paying members and thus determine what benefits their customers would most like to have?
They do. I just filled out an exhaustive survey - not for the Plat, but for the PR Gold. The survey covered a lot of different potential benefits, ways of combining them, requested suggestions for benefits not currently provided, etc. I'd guess Platinum card members have received/are receiving requests for feedback.

Maybe we can be more proactive: how about starting a new "Build your [Cent/Plat/Gold] list of benefits" thread with all the things we'd like to have for approximately the current annual fees? We could then forward the results to AMEX for consideration. Even if they don't act on it we could have some fun.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:00 am

i was emailed a centurion survey a couple of months ago that was VERY detailed...the survey was littered with disclaimers that nothing was for sure...but ideas were floated like no continental but 4 guaranteed first class upgrades per year...they tossed out a bunch of scenarios - i don't recall seeing: lose continental gold and get a $200 (woop-ti-do)...the $200 is pretty much a joke...if i can pay 2.5k/year for a card I can buy a few beers on board...airline elite status for those of us that don't fly all that much was what made the card worthwhile
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
I received a very fancy (expensive) brochure in mail yesterday pertaining to the above mentioned AMEX Platinum benefits starting December 2010. I was totally unimpressed. It's like a politician touting a horn about the wonderful thing Policiticians do for us (with OUR money). Very sad experience.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:50 am

What about miles redemption tickets

Having to charge the airfare to the card to use the $200 credit truly waters down the "benefit" of this.

How 'bout if one is travelling on a miles redemption ticket and charges the taxes/fees to the Plat card, would the credit be available then?

Best part of the card for me was the CO/AA lounge access. The $200 credit could have been a reasonable subsitute w/o the requirement to charge the airfare to the card. Not sure its worth renewing now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.