Buyer Protection on Jewelry

Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, United Silver
Buyer Protection on Jewelry

To the board--quick question on buyer protection. I did a quick search but didn't turn up much.

I'm in the market for an engagement ring, and I'm interested in what the buyer protection advantages would be for putting the purchase on Amex (besides the miles)--I have an SPG card and a plat (use the SPG more, though happy to use either depending on the benefits).

Given that the purchase price will be (significantly) more than a few hundred dollars (which is the cap for many policies), what types of coverage does Amex provide should the ring be lost/stolen or determined to be not worth what I actually pay for it? Is there any protection or am I SOL (or take the same risks as if I paid cash)? Is jewelry excluded?

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:17 am

There is purchase protection which should cover loss/theft etc up to $10k for 90 days. You might want to call and make sure a ring is not an excluded item.

Supposedly also, if both cards are in your name you can use the SPG and still get platinum card's benefits. I have no experience doing it though.

Originally Posted by fflier_9999
or determined to be not worth what I actually pay for it?
Having worked in a jewelry store in college, I would recommend only buying a stone that is GIA certified.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:28 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Start here:

https://www.onlineclaim.americanexpr...e&productId=06

I do not see an exclusion for jewelry, but the coverage is secondary which means you would need to file a claim with your homeowner's insurance (or demonstrate that your policy does not cover jewelry). However, insumuch as the American Express protection is only for ninety days you may as well start the process of adding suitable coverage to the policy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.