Canceling an AMEX card online

Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Canceling an AMEX card online

Is it absolutely necessary to talk to a CSR on the phone in order to cancel a card, or can it be done online? I couldn't find the option anywhere on the AMEX website... Perhaps the "secure messaging system"?

I'm not thinking about canceling any cards right now, but I'd like to hear of your past experiences for future reference. Thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 2:43 pm

Yes...login to your account and find Contact American Express and send a secure message.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you are cancelling any cards because of annual renewal costs...speaking to card issuer's Customer Service may get a reduction or elimination of renewal fee.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Cancel cards online?

9-10 months ago I signed up for a Gold & Plat Amex (within a month or so of each other) to get generous sign-up bonuses. I didn't charge hardly anything to either card after I earned the promo bonuses and the $200 airline credits last year and this year, etc. . . so I "almost" feel guilty about it. (Not really guilty, but I certainly got my money's worth). Is there any way to cancel both cards online. . . I don't really want to call, because again, while I did everything strictly within the rules, I certainly got the better end of the deal and feel sligthly uneasy about it. . .
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Get over it! Talk to a rep and see what they offer to keep your business. If and when you make fraudulent loans, force taxpayers to bail you out or roboforclose on someone in violation of the law then you can feel slightly uneasy. Or not - if you are a real sleazy banker.

Originally Posted by 100countrygoal
9-10 months ago I signed up for a Gold & Plat Amex (within a month or so of each other) to get generous sign-up bonuses. I didn't charge hardly anything to either card after I earned the promo bonuses and the $200 airline credits last year and this year, etc. . . so I "almost" feel guilty about it. (Not really guilty, but I certainly got my money's worth). Is there any way to cancel both cards online. . . I don't really want to call, because again, while I did everything strictly within the rules, I certainly got the better end of the deal and feel sligthly uneasy about it. . .
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I ordered my Southwest GCs on the 1st January, got reimbursed 3 days later and canceled my Platinum the following day. A nice check for $301.50 arrived from them this week as a pro-rated refund of my card fee.

Guilty? Not in the slightest. If they didn't like it they'd change the product terms. We don't owe them anything.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Okay. . . thanks for the pep talk.

Just curious. . . did they ask you many questions when you cancelled? Again, just curious.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)

Just curious. . . did they ask you many questions when you cancelled? Again, just curious.
I canceled via SM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

I've canceled a business card and a corporate card online via secure messaging. No questions asked, done immediately.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:00 pm

Great, many thanks! Secure messaging seems like the perfect way to go. . . especially since I'm not really expecting (nor really interested) in any retention offers.
Old May 5, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Used the chat feature to cancel a card today. Could not have been easier!
Old May 5, 2015, 5:58 pm

great stuff....

I will cancel a new amex card later this month after points are posted (before annual fee refund period deadline, of course).... good to know that I don't have to call in to cancel.
Old May 5, 2015, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
great stuff....

I will cancel a new amex card later this month after points are posted (before annual fee refund period deadline, of course).... good to know that I don't have to call in to cancel.
I just selected the "Chat" feature under the "Contact Us" tab when logged in. Had to answer a few questions and *bam*, it was all done! I am very impressed with the customer service.
Old May 5, 2015, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
I just selected the "Chat" feature under the "Contact Us" tab when logged in. Had to answer a few questions and *bam*, it was all done! I am very impressed with the customer service.
Did they ask you why you are canceling? (I hope you didn't tell them you were churning the card)
Old May 5, 2015, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
Did they ask you why you are canceling? (I hope you didn't tell them you were churning the card)
I actually volunteered an explanation at the beginning of the process ("I'd like to cancel because I'm trying to simplify my wallet and don't want another card with an annual fee to worry about"). Nothing about churning, not a peep.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.