Changing from Delta AMEX to SPG Amex??

Old Aug 19, 10, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Starwood Plat, WN Alist and CP
Changing from Delta AMEX to SPG Amex??

Has anyone done this before. I have hit my head against a wall trying to redeem my Delta points for flights over and over again with no availibility other than high tier points. I would like to switch my Delta Amex to the SPG Amex. Is this something that can be done over the phone? I never carry a balance on the card. Will I have to reapply for the SPG card and cancel the Delta AMEX? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Aug 19, 10, 11:23 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by FirstClassGuy View Post
Will I have to reapply for the SPG card...
Probably, but there's no harm asking for an exchange. However, before calling find the SPG offer that you will use if you reapply and determine if you will qualify for that identical offer by telephone. Typically the best offers require an online application and it's to your advantage to apply for the SPG card and cancel the other card after you see if an adequate credit limit has been assigned to your new account.
Old Aug 19, 10, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, SPG
Why would you want to "exchange" a Delta Amex for a SPG Amex? You won't get any sign-up bonuses if you they let you do this. I suppose if you really can't afford an inquiry on your credit report you could try this.
Old Aug 20, 10, 6:57 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by FLYERIL View Post
You won't get any sign-up bonuses
You should receive the "standard" new account offer on an exchange, but this may not be the best offer.
Old Aug 22, 10, 3:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Passport Platinum, IHG Platinum and Club Carlson Gold
I should will receive a SPG sign-up offer if you apply for the SPG card on-line as a new account, which will generate a hard credit report pull. What will probably happen is that you will receive a SPG card with a very low credit line. You will then have the option to call AMEX to allocate the credit lines between the Delta card and the SPG card.

My wife did this, but in the opposite direction. She had an SPG card and applied for a Delta gold card for a promotional Skymiles offer and the new 1st bag checked free benefit. Her SPG credit limit was 10K. She received the Delta card with a 5K limit. She then called AMEX, had her 10K SPG limit transferered to the Delta card, and then cancelled the SPG card. End result was a Delta card with a 15K credit limit.
Old Aug 22, 10, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by FirstClassGuy View Post
Is this something that can be done over the phone? I never carry a balance on the card. Will I have to reapply for the SPG card and cancel the Delta AMEX? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
How timely. Yes, you can do it over the phone--I just did it 2 days ago and it was a snap. They consider it a "product transfer" request.

I, too, am frustrated with Skypeso redemption, but I haven't completely given up hope. I think I know how to use them up at the low level . . . eventually. Couldn't bring myself to redeem at low in one direction but medium in the other (32.5k total) for a trip to MIA last month, so I've still got 122k collecting dust. But like you, I searched out greener pastures with SPG and am looking forward to a much better situation.

Why would you want to "exchange" a Delta Amex for a SPG Amex? You won't get any sign-up bonuses if you they let you do this.
He probably will, actually. I got the sign-up bonuses just by asking.

I actually had 2 Delta Amex cards and was about to apply for new ones because I also thought I wouldn't get the new member sign-up promotions. Since I really just wasn't in the mood to fill out 2 new online applications, I thought I'd at least call and see if they would give me the new sign-up bonuses with a "transfer' to save me the hassle of applications. I had to wait a few minutes on hold the agent to check with a supervisor, but it was agreed to, with the limit of one personal card per account holder. Since my 2nd card is for business, I actually get the bonuses for both cards. And the agent proactively pointed out I got the annual fee waived for the prorated portion of the year.
Old Aug 26, 10, 2:03 pm

Programs: SPG, SkyMiles
It sounds like you already have the SPG credit card correct? I know SPG allows you to transfer points: miles on a 1:1 ratio to Delta. I would think the same could be done in reverse. Worth asking...
Old Aug 26, 10, 2:47 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Schyler View Post
...SPG allows you to transfer points: miles on a 1:1 ratio to Delta. I would think the same could be done in reverse.
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Delta does not permit outbound transfers to any program.
Old Aug 26, 10, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by mia View Post

Delta does not permit outbound transfers to any program.
Do any airlines permit it? Thanks.
Old Aug 26, 10, 7:52 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Okto View Post
Do any airlines...
Yes. A good place to research this question is here:

http://webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/
Old Aug 30, 10, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
OP: why would you want to exchange cards? Apply for a new one and get the bonus, too!

Even tho you're not a UA 1K anymore .... this summer Chase offered a 50,000 sign up bonus, even if you were applying for a second UA MP VISA card. You know better than that ..... get as many points as possible.

BTW...where are you going next? You bailed on *A and lost your status. now you want to bounce out of SkyTeam. Is OneWorld next on your horizon?

Last edited by kevinsac; Aug 30, 10 at 4:00 pm

Search this Thread