FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   How to increase credit line or limit on SPG Amex or in general? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1116622-how-increase-credit-line-limit-spg-amex-general.html)

rodrigo Aug 15, 2010 5:16 pm

How to increase credit line or limit on SPG Amex or in general?

I'm a bit annoyed with my current SPG Amex credit limit. It's in the low thousands, while my other 4 credit cards (all Visas) have an average limit of 5x that, the highest of them having almost 10x as much...

Whenever I call and request for an increase, all the rep does is send me to some automated application... I did the automated application a few months ago and nothing happened. When I tell the rep that I want to talk to a human about it, they sound pretty confused and don't really know what to do (maybe I was just unlucky).

I want to use my SPG Amex as my primary card but I can't with such a low credit limit. I have to pay it quite often and it's getting annoying.

Is there a way to 'transfer' a credit line or at least use my high credit line elsewhere to argue that I'm creditworthy to them? Who should I talk to? Any other advice?

Thanks!

CMHFlyerOH Aug 15, 2010 9:17 pm

I've not gone through the process of asking for an increased credit line with Amex before, so my experience may be of little utility for you; however, with both Chase and Citi, I just called up and asked for an increased credit limit. In both cases, I was sent to a separate department who verified my income with me and approved the increase over the phone. In both instances I was also asked why I wanted the increase, which, I explained, was to not allow my monthly utilization to each more than 30% of my available credit on the card (i.e. it wasn't so I could max out my newly increased credit).

I'd suggest trying again, and if that doesn't work, perhaps try asking to speak with a supervisor so that you can find out if Amex does have a "live" way to process credit increase requests.

But if you do find the answer, be sure to post what you find. A lot has changed recently with CC issuers. From my experience Citi is completely unwilling to reallocate or combine credit lines, whereas in the past such requests were always honored. Others may have had different experiences. I've had similar experiences with Chase, except they do seem willing to reallocate lines when applying for a NEW credit card account. Good luck!

biggestbopper Aug 15, 2010 11:40 pm

IMHO, it is, CURRENTLY, very difficult to impossible to get Amex to raise credit limits once a card is opened (unlike, says, Citi). This appears to be a policy change brought on by a not so long ago near death experience which Amex does not want to repeat.

I suspect this will change at some point in the future ... but, who knows.

Meanwhile, no real harm in trying to get them to raise your limit by calling. I believe the policy is that at least two months must have gone by from time of card issuing or time of last request to raise limit for the new request to be processed.

If you do request a raise, please report back and let us know what happened.

maulah Aug 16, 2010 8:55 am

I have the lowest credit limit that I ever had on any of my cards (3000 only) on my SPG amex business card. CSR refused to increase the limit but suggested to apply for another amex green or gold card without the annual fee for the first year where there is no credit limit. What I usually do is when ever I expect to cross the credit limit, I overpay that month many times my credit limit, spend as much as I want and everyone is happy.

nfg05 Aug 16, 2010 2:34 pm

Ask for less than double your current limit (not sure what you're asking for now). 2x or more your current limit and there's a separate approval process with Amex which likely decreases your chances.

Amex has not been doing line reallocations since 2008. Confirmed this about a month ago. If you're paying several times per cycle already, you probably have a good case. Card needs to be open at least six months before Amex will consider an increase.

dracs Aug 16, 2010 2:48 pm

I got 1000$ limit on starwood, asked if it could be increased. I was told to wait for 6 months and if I tell them to re consider now, it will automatically push the 6 month cycle by day I requested.

FreFly Aug 16, 2010 6:56 pm

My credit limit is much lower than on my other CCs and I was told that AMEX does not increase credit lines for the first three months. I plan to get my bonus points and then call to cancel the card as I am not comfortable with a credit limit that is far below of what my income justifies. I was on the fence about getting the card and the 30,000 point bonus put me over, so I would not miss the card too much. It would be amusing to see how the retention agent will react.

mlad1101 Aug 17, 2010 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by FreFly (Post 14493081)
My credit limit is much lower than on my other CCs and I was told that AMEX does not increase credit lines for the first three months. I plan to get my bonus points and then call to cancel the card as I am not comfortable with a credit limit that is far below of what my income justifies. I was on the fence about getting the card and the 30,000 point bonus put me over, so I would not miss the card too much. It would be amusing to see how the retention agent will react.

I doubt they will do anything to retain anyone who just meets the bonus spend and cancels right away. I'd be careful with the quick closing of it, your points may disappear or won't be approved next bonus with amex/SPG you try to churn.

FreFly Aug 17, 2010 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by mlad1101 (Post 14500689)
I doubt they will do anything to retain anyone who just meets the bonus spend and cancels right away. I'd be careful with the quick closing of it, your points may disappear or won't be approved next bonus with amex/SPG you try to churn.

I am interested in trying this card as many on this forum like the rewards program. However, the credit limit is low for my needs, and I am qualified for a much higher limit. I am prepared to cancel if AMEX is not willing to give me a proper limit. As I already have the card, I plan to get and spend the bonus before calling AMEX.

mlad1101 Aug 18, 2010 8:12 am

Originally Posted by FreFly (Post 14501240)
I am interested in trying this card as many on this forum like the rewards program. However, the credit limit is low for my needs, and I am qualified for a much higher limit. I am prepared to cancel if AMEX is not willing to give me a proper limit. As I already have the card, I plan to get and spend the bonus before calling AMEX.

I agree with you it's not too practical with a low limit, I'm just saying be careful. Spending the points doesn't always get you in the clear either, although unlikely they can charge you a premium(25 cents a point) to get the points back.

lifeandmylens Aug 18, 2010 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by FreFly (Post 14501240)

I think they need 3 months after the account is open to review it for a CLI. So charge everything you can to the card and payoff in full several times and that should theoretically help.

CAPTVOY Aug 23, 2010 4:37 am

Originally Posted by rodrigo (Post 14486790)
I'm a bit annoyed with my current SPG Amex credit limit. It's in the low thousands, while my other 4 credit cards (all Visas) have an average limit of 5x that, the highest of them having almost 10x as much...

Whenever I call and request for an increase, all the rep does is send me to some automated application... I did the automated application a few months ago and nothing happened. When I tell the rep that I want to talk to a human about it, they sound pretty confused and don't really know what to do (maybe I was just unlucky).

I am in a similar situation. I have a VS AMEX Card managed by MBNA. I had the card since last Autumn last year, always pay the balance off in time and a couple of months ago I called to see if it was possible to increase the credit limit, so I could use it to buy my parent's plane tickets, they sent some stupid automated application and after 24-48 hrs, with no sign of an increase, I called and was told it was declined. Like seriously? Other financial institutions can tell me right away if it was a decline or not, but with MBNA VSAMEX, it takes ages. Therefore I lost the gain of thousands of VS miles and since VSAMEX doubles what you spend with VS, I lost over 4000 miles gain in total. :(

It's like that Little Britain sketch show and that character - "Carol" goes, "The computer say 'no'", but in slow mo.

http://www.fundraisingdetective.com/...3537970c-800wi

cardtracker Aug 23, 2010 1:23 pm

I've been an Amex cardholder for 28 years and have multiple cards with them ranging from Platinum to Blue to Green to corporate ones. All of them have had high limits until my recent SPG card which I got for the 30,000 points. When I got the card and saw the limit, I thought it was a typo and called CS. They confirmed the limit and I asked for a CLI. The rep took the request and after a couple of weeks I received a decision letter which stated that a CLI request couldn't be processed until three months after account opening. (Would have been nice if the Amex rep told me this up front.)

You would think that Amex would look at past CLs coupled with payment history before they issue the card. The card is going into the drawer and I'll use any card but this one going forward.

geclub1 Aug 23, 2010 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by cardtracker (Post 14532030)
I've been an Amex cardholder for 28 years and have multiple cards with them ranging from Platinum to Blue to Green to corporate ones. All of them have had high limits until my recent SPG card which I got for the 30,000 points. When I got the card and saw the limit, I thought it was a typo and called CS. They confirmed the limit and I asked for a CLI. The rep took the request and after a couple of weeks I received a decision letter which stated that a CLI request couldn't be processed until three months after account opening. (Would have been nice if the Amex rep told me this up front.)

You would think that Amex would look at past CLs coupled with payment history before they issue the card. The card is going into the drawer and I'll use any card but this one going forward.

I thought Amex handled this round of SPG promotion really well. From what I heard so far, they have approved cards and given all these 30K/40K SPG points, even the new credit lines are a bit low.

How would you think if Amex did this like the other card issuers?

If it were Chase, your new SPG card would be approved in the same time that one of your exisiting high-limit Blue (by random draw, I suppose) was closed. All without telling you.

It it were Citi, your new SPG card would be approved instantly. Then you received a letter in the mail saying, "sorry, you weren't approved at all."

FreFly Aug 23, 2010 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1 (Post 14532269)
I thought Amex handled this round of SPG promotion really well. From what I heard so far, they have approved cards and given all these 30K/40K SPG points, even the new credit lines are a bit low.

From the point of view of the people on this board who only want bonus points, AMEX handled this well. If AMEX wanted to attract new customers for the long haul, the jury is still out. With a low limit, one may be reluctant to use the card as the primary card, leading to low spending on it. This in turn leads to insufficient rewards to justify the annual fee, and to cancellations after the first year.