FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   MR points for German Platinum? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1109516-mr-points-german-platinum.html)

zap7 Jul 26, 2010 5:17 am

MR points for German Platinum?

Hi,
I just applied for a German business platinum card. After seeing the great UK offer now for 40k MR points, I wonder if such promotions are available in Germany, too, like getting 40k MR points for new platinum charging 2000 Euro in the first month or 10.000 Euro till the end of december.

Do they offer such promos in Germany, too?
AM I missing a promo running right now?
I searched but couldn't find this information and I wonder if I should cancel and wait for a promo.

Thanks and best regards,
zap!

Rambuster Jul 26, 2010 5:26 am

There are hardly ever any Amex Germany MR promotions.
You can sign up to the "turbo" promo, where you can collect 1.5 points per year for up to €40k expenditure. (I think the cost is €15).

zap7 Jul 26, 2010 12:46 pm

Turbo in Germany?

I wanted to sign up for the turbo promo, but I couldn't find anything for a German turbo promo :-( Google only delivered websites for Austria

I looked at all the conditions and details on the German MR website for half an hour - how do I register for "turbo"?

DownUnderFlyer Jul 27, 2010 12:25 am

Just call the MR team and ask? They might not know all the promotions dreamed up by the marketing guys but they should know some.

zap7 Jul 28, 2010 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer (Post 14371426)
Just call the MR team and ask? They might not know all the promotions dreamed up by the marketing guys but they should know some.

Great! Thank you, I am now signed up :D
Couldn't find anything about it on the German website, but I just called and everything was fine. If only someone had told me before, I would have had 2 more awards (with full segment and mile count on LH) this year :rolleyes: since I have the card for 1,5 years now, using it with 50k Euro a year.

BTW: I didn't know this until yesterday: When you book a MR flight award in Germany, Amex is buying a paid ticket for you. I tried for some routes and for almost all of them (5 out of 6) I was able to get LH / *A. Even 4 segment return flights intra European for just 15k MR points + taxes. So it is a great way to have an award for an otherwise expensive flight but still get status miles, status segments and award miles for it although it's an award :D

If I had know this 5 days ago, I would have bought a private amex gold for 140 Euro the first year, earning 15k MR points (they offer it to you at almost all German airports right now) and then upgraded to Platinum instead of upgrading my business gold to platinum right away. I called to ask if I could still buy the private gold card with 15k miles, but it's not possible anymore since I've gone platinum :( - anyway, 15k MR points lost but otherwise a very good choice :D I checked the insurance details for platinum in detail, they are awesome and beat everything else (including amex gold and LH CC gold) right away.

UAalltheway Jul 30, 2010 10:45 am

Great, thank you very much!!

zap7 Aug 3, 2010 4:48 pm

30k MR Rewards for platinum

Originally Posted by Rambuster (Post 14365336)
There are hardly ever any Amex Germany MR promotions.

Just found out: There currently is a promotion for recommending friends: If anyone having an Amex gold (or platin) is referring you for platin (no matter if business or not) both of you will get 30k MR points.

Some folks even got a targeted promo which will save you the 250 Euro one-time sign-up-fee for platinum AND give you 30k miles. I wasn't invited, but I'll ask someone who was to post here if anyone else is interested, so you can just PM him and he can send you an invitation.

Tim2008 Aug 4, 2010 6:42 am

Originally Posted by zap7 (Post 14417148)
Just found out: There currently is a promotion for recommending friends: If anyone having an Amex gold (or platin) is referring you for platin (no matter if business or not) both of you will get 30k MR points.

Some folks even got a targeted promo which will save you the 250 Euro one-time sign-up-fee for platinum AND give you 30k miles. I wasn't invited, but I'll ask someone who was to post his e-mail-address here if anyone else is interested.

I was invited...so if I would refer you, both of us would get 30k points and there would be no sign-up fee
[email protected]