If you spent $1,000,000 in one month.....

Old Jul 23, 10, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott - Platinum, AA - Lifetime Gold
If you spent $1,000,000 in one month.....

If you spent $1 million dollars on your AmEx card in one month......What could you ask AmEx to do for you (gifts, etc.)?
Old Jul 23, 10, 1:44 pm

Well, logically they would get at least $25k from transaction fees on that (2.5% card processing fee, potentially unshared).

They would want a profit as well, so if you did it on a rewards card (SPG?), paid it back, they might have $15k of revenue to work with.

You might be able to get something, but you're probably not going to get a new car...
Old Jul 23, 10, 1:58 pm

Programs: Too Many to Count
Well, one of my former bosses charged in over $6 million in a five month span. AmEx comped him a business class ticket from JFK -> CDG and four nights at the FS in Paris with (if I recall correctly) over $1,000 in travelers checks.
Old Jul 23, 10, 3:40 pm

Someone like Tiger Woods could have done this before.
Old Jul 23, 10, 3:40 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
That's enough for me. I'll be sure to spend $1,000,000 per month for the next six months!
Old Jul 23, 10, 4:10 pm

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
If you can spend one million a month I don't think someone would really care about a stupid gift they would prob. give you for doing so. You prob wipe your backside with that gift because money is no object to you
Old Jul 23, 10, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Vacation time View Post
If you can spend one million a month I don't think someone would really care about a stupid gift they would prob. give you for doing so. You prob wipe your backside with that gift because money is no object to you
You're making the assumption that it's all personal spending and that the individual is extremely wealthy.

Another possibility is that this is a business, in which case your argument does not hold.
Old Jul 23, 10, 6:21 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Getting more serious, I wonder how many people actually do uber-spend on the AMEX card. There's a fellow at my country club whose business is arranging business meetings at luxury hotels for successful businesses. He pays the costs and bills them. He said he lost count after he hit 6,000,000 Membership Rewards points. With that kind of spend, who needs gifts from AMEX?
Old Jul 24, 10, 5:57 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
I agree with previous posters, both about Amex not earning a huge amount as they pay out a lot on MR (I consider it to be 1%), and that you don't need to be a squillionaire to have a big card spend.

I operate a small business, in a low margin industry. We put around $250k through cards per month. For me, the hardest thing about spinning a million in a month is that my comfort level is around $200k, so I'd be paying the card off every 5 days. Phew.
Old Jul 24, 10, 6:15 am

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
Now thinking about owning the business point of view and stock you order for your business if a free standing store would def. add up to lots of points. I guess then millions of points would be pretty exciting....
Old Jul 24, 10, 4:37 pm

Amex won't treat you as a VIP for your $1 million spending.
The only thing special you're probably gonna get is a quick account freeze followed by a financial review surprise to top it off.
Old Jul 25, 10, 2:17 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by mainbill View Post
Amex won't treat you as a VIP for your $1 million spending.
The only thing special you're probably gonna get is a quick account freeze followed by a financial review surprise to top it off.
Sorry to disagree - it may work that way in your neck of the woods, but not where I am. A gradual increase in spending pattern, combined with always paying on time gets you great service, a personal rep, and whatever else you may be able to negotiate. Sadly, I'm contracted not to discuss our benefits.
Old Jul 25, 10, 4:34 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009 View Post
Well, one of my former bosses charged in over $6 million in a five month span. AmEx comped him a business class ticket from JFK -> CDG and four nights at the FS in Paris with (if I recall correctly) over $1,000 in travelers checks.
Are you sure this was a "special" comp of some sort? With $6 million of spend, you'd get 6 million MR points. The above itinerary could be easily done for less than 1.5 million MR points, even if you had to do a "rule buster" airline award to get the business class seat. Not that big a deal.
Old Jul 26, 10, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Filling up the jet with A1 fuel regularly should do the trick.
Old Jul 26, 10, 10:17 am

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke5150 View Post
If you spent $1 million dollars on your AmEx card in one month......What could you ask AmEx to do for you (gifts, etc.)?
What about a booklet of "free companion tickets"?

Search this Thread