Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you spent $1,000,000 in one month.....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:07 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by RichardKopf
A gradual increase in spending pattern, combined with always paying on time gets you great service, a personal rep, and whatever else you may be able to negotiate.
Originally Posted by mainbill
But am I interested in the details of your secret contract?
I am VERY interested. Could you not give us some hints so we can also benefit?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:50 pm

My wife works for a large biotech company and used to handle all event planning for her group/division. She could definitely rack up several hundred thousand spending in a month on the corporate card. (No points though since the bill is paid by the company).

When she went on maternity leave, her fill-in couldn't be bothered to pay the bill. My wife came back to a 90-day late, $1.6 million bill. To be fair to AMEX, they were very understanding and never tacked on any additional fees.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:57 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by b8b
I am VERY interested. Could you not give us some hints so we can also benefit?
I'm sorry, but I take the confidentiality contract seriously. I will say that I put a case to Amex which I thought would benefit them, and me, and they accepted. If you have a high spend, it's worth negotiating. Having said that, they also say 'no' to some of my requests. Also, I'm in Australia, where the possibilities may be different due to a much smaller customer base.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I'm sorry, but I take the confidentiality contract seriously. I will say that I put a case to Amex which I thought would benefit them, and me, and they accepted. If you have a high spend, it's worth negotiating. Having said that, they also say 'no' to some of my requests. Also, I'm in Australia, where the possibilities may be different due to a much smaller customer base.
The AMEX Centurion desk couldn't organise a gangbang in a brothel !
Not worth negotiating anything with them...
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Rambuster
The AMEX Centurion desk couldn't organise a gangbang in a brothel !
Not worth negotiating anything with them...
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend negotiating with Amex for the extra benefit.
It's almost like a dog begging just for a piece of the crumb to be thrown off the table.
You're better off just getting the usual MR point for the regular purchase and keep your dignity intact.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:10 pm

WOW ! Not much respect toward AMEX.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:16 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Filling up the jet with A1 fuel regularly should do the trick.
Even better are people who actually buy the plane on their Amex. And this is a real story.

Sorry to disagree - it may work that way in your neck of the woods, but not where I am. A gradual increase in spending pattern, combined with always paying on time gets you great service, a personal rep, and whatever else you may be able to negotiate. Sadly, I'm contracted not to discuss our benefits.
Correct, Amex in Australia has a team which looks after their absolute very best customers which are determined by spend or negotiation. And they deliver a more personalised service than the standard team for high value customers.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Duke5150
If you spent $1 million dollars on your AmEx card in one month......What could you ask AmEx to do for you (gifts, etc.)?
Business Centurion/Platinum or Personal Centurion/Platinum?

Answers will depend on which card.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Amex in Australia has a team which looks after their absolute very best customers which are determined by spend or negotiation. And they deliver a more personalised service than the standard team for high value customers
For which customers? Business Centurion/Platinum or Personal Centurion/Platinum?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 4:49 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
For which customers? Business Centurion/Platinum or Personal Centurion/Platinum?
I have a rep for Business charge cards. There is no distinction between business and personal Centurion in Australia and I do not have a rep for the Centurion card.

Also, my rep would service our needs whether we had a Gold or Platinum business card. Most of my colleagues don't see the benefits of Platinum so they maintain free Gold business accounts with the services of a rep. My rep also attends our business conferences as the Amex point of contact and to discuss our merchant use.

I guess the point of your question is that most reps would be dealing with business owners. I imagine this is correct, although any high spend individual may theoretically be offered, or request a rep. They don't do much but it's great to have a point of contact in an otherwise faceless behemoth.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:29 pm

I have a rep for Business charge cards. There is no distinction between business and personal Centurion in Australia and I do not have a rep for the Centurion card.

Also, my rep would service our needs whether we had a Gold or Platinum business card. Most of my colleagues don't see the benefits of Platinum so they maintain free Gold business accounts with the services of a rep. My rep also attends our business conferences as the Amex point of contact and to discuss our merchant use.

I guess the point of your question is that most reps would be dealing with business owners. I imagine this is correct, although any high spend individual may theoretically be offered, or request a rep. They don't do much but it's great to have a point of contact in an otherwise faceless behemoth.
Any US Business Centurion hold confirm same service levels?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 6:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
My rep also attends our business conferences as the Amex point of contact and to discuss our merchant use.
If I understand correctly that your firm also accepts American Express as a merchant this may explain some of the difference in service level. My sense is that American Express's share of the card market in Australia is rather small, is that accurate?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:33 pm

Every business customer has an Amex rep. Get over yourself.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: Amex Plat Visa Sig HH SPG gold Virgin AA Priority Pass Prestige
Going back to the original question - if you spent 1 M a month, you probably couldn't care less of what you receive from AMEX and if any, would pass it off to your kids etc..
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:50 am

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Originally Posted by stevens397
Getting more serious, I wonder how many people actually do uber-spend on the AMEX card. There's a fellow at my country club whose business is arranging business meetings at luxury hotels for successful businesses. He pays the costs and bills them. He said he lost count after he hit 6,000,000 Membership Rewards points. With that kind of spend, who needs gifts from AMEX?
Your friend should get an AA card, he could get a lifetime status pretty easy. Especially since all he's doing is accumulating MR points which he does not use.

PS ask your friend if he'd like to hook a brother up with some Home Depot gift cards. I'd be happy to scratch his back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.