Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How long does it usually take for USA MR points to post ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long does it usually take for USA MR points to post ?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 10:07 pm

... just talked some MR agent on the phone... looks like AmEx is adding new policy to prevent churning... he mentioned that there will be wait period (3 months) for the bonus points to be posted, these can not be accelerated.... he said they don't want people to get the points and cancel right away.

I am canceling soon anyways before the annual fee refund deadline... not sure if the 50000 points are worth the annual fee (even at the pro-rated amount) and I already got the free airlines gift cards in return anyways....

If the bonus points are 150K, then I might pay the pro-rated annual fee.

Obviously, American express does not mind pissing off the customers who intend to stay on regardless. I would not be happy if I have to wait three months to get the points, especially if I have immediate use of it.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:37 am

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold
How long does it take for MR to be posted into the account after the statement?

My 50,000 sign up bonus has been posted in my last Amex monthly statement, but after logging in, my MR points still shows zero.
Same with my wife's account too.
How long does it take for Membership Reward points to be posted into my MR account after posting in the last month statement?
Thanks.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Kay, I am in the same boat. My statement closed ~Aug 30, and I made my required spending about 1 week before that date. I paid the balance in full on the closing date. My points are still in pending status today.

The last post before yours (May 2015) said that they will hold our points for 3 months to prevent churning. There are no other supporting claims to that effect, so we can't be sure if this is truely policy or just some MR phone agents talking out of their a*.

The problem is that I want to convert my MR points to BA miles before the Oct 1 devaluation...

I'm going to try online chat to get them to give me the points sooner.

UPDATE: Unfortunately, all online chat agents are busy......

Last edited by chunky649; Sep 9, 2015 at 12:42 pm
Old Sep 10, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Update 2: I did an online chat on the amex website and the agent, after confirming my card secret numbers (4 digit and 3 digit), she was able to instantly put my MR points in my account. When I first asked about my pending points, she gave me the standard 6-8 weeks after meeting spending limit, but then I told her I needed to convert the points for a trip. She made it happen immediately.

Excellent experience!
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:57 am

How long does it usually take for bonus MR points to show up in pending after meeting spend on a Plat/Gold card?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by compddd
How long does it usually take for bonus MR points to show up in pending after meeting spend on a Plat/Gold card?
There is no usual. New account points may post within a few days of meeting the qualifying spend without ever appearing in the pending category, or they may go into pending and post up to eight weeks later, or they may never post. My impression is that the posting time is influenced by your individual history with the Membership Rewards program, but it's far from clear.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
Delay in points posting?

I have had my first Amex card (prg) for about 3.5 months and I don't understand the method to amex's madness when it comes to posting points. Let's say it's January and you get the card and meet the bonus spend before your statement closes in February, the points should all post (bonus plus points for spend) after it closes, lets tentatively say a week after it closes, yet I don't seem to receive my points for the month I earned them until one month after that month's statement has closed. Is this normal or not?

I was expecting to receive the 7000 points I needed to reach 90k Amex MR points this month so that I could book a RT to Europe on TK through aeroplan before the devaluation. Now it seems the points won't post until 2 days before the devaluation leaving me with a very tight window to book. I should mention that I am obviously paying all bills in full (usually before the statement closes).

Any ways around this? Calling and asking to accelerate the points? Thanks!

Last edited by UpAt40k; Nov 22, 2015 at 3:10 pm
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
I too am perplexed with how Amex handles it. Citi/Chase will post my points upon statement closure.

I had my Amex statement recently close, and my points are still sitting in Pending. It's been over a week since my statement closed. Sure, maybe the 20% swipe bonus wouldn't post, or maybe the sign up bonus...but even the standard spend points aren't moving from Pending.

BTW this will probably get moved to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ints-post.html
Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:32 pm
mia

Originally Posted by PDXUA
... Let's say it's January and you get the card and meet the bonus spend before your statement closes in February, the points should all post (bonus plus points for spend) after it closes...
No.

Base points earned by spending post a few days after the next statement is generated, assuming you paid the bill within terms. In other words, they post after the statement on which you pay, rather than the statement on which you spend. Paying early will not cause base points to post sooner, but you can ask customer service to do this manually.

New account bonus points posting schedule is entirely unrelated. Read the terms of the offer. If it says they will post in eight weeks that's what you should expect. If you have a history with Membership Rewards points they may post sooner, but there is no guarantee.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
No.

Base points earned by spending post a few days after the next statement is generated, assuming you paid the bill within terms. In other words, they post after the statement on which you pay, rather than the statement on which you spend. Paying early will not cause base points to post sooner, but you can ask customer service to do this manually.

New account bonus points posting schedule is entirely unrelated. Read the terms of the offer. If it says they will post in eight weeks that's what you should expect. If you have a history with Membership Rewards points they may post sooner, but there is no guarantee.
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense now. I will call and try to get those points posted in time for me to make an attempt at booking this award on AC before the deval.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
When to Amex MR points post to accounts?

I'n trying to get a better sense when Amex MR points hit my account.

For some cards, points typically show up within one business day upon payment of a statement. I'm not seeing any consistency with Amex MRs.

What's your experience?

Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:51 pm
alc

From your FT profile, I assumed you are based in USA, the following thread should provide you the answers that you are looking for:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ints-post.html
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:14 am

Delay in MR Posting

I hold three Amex charge cards and pay them in full on the last day of the billing cycle. Generally my MR points go into a pending status within 24 hours of full payment. Right now I am seeing nothing in pending even though the cycle cut off days ago and the bill was paid in full.

Anyone else seeing a delay in MR posting? Called Amex and got the runaround (even got hung up on during a transfer after being on the phone for 23 minutes).
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pritomd
I too am perplexed with how Amex handles it. Citi/Chase will post my points upon statement closure.

I had my Amex statement recently close, and my points are still sitting in Pending. It's been over a week since my statement closed. Sure, maybe the 20% swipe bonus wouldn't post, or maybe the sign up bonus...but even the standard spend points aren't moving from Pending.

BTW this will probably get moved to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ints-post.html
I'm trying to figure this out too. Since getting my PRG I've been perplexed by how points are posting and it makes it difficult to reconcile that I'm getting the correct 2x bonus on grocery stores. For example I have $100 in grocery store and $100 in restaurants though I only have 300 bonus points which seems incorrect.

It seems as if the points listed on the statement are for the prior period because they never reconcile with the amount I owe for the current statement. I pay in full every month (usually as soon as the statement closes) so the 1 month lag is a bit annoying.

I assume this is typical?
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:16 am
mia

Originally Posted by Duke787
... the points listed on the statement
I would ignore the Membership Rewards information on the printed or PDF account statements, and work only with membershiprewards.com .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.