Lost/stolen iPad- will purchase protection cover it?

Old May 5, 2018, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by merrickdb
A couple things for any future readers:

If you have better coverage on another AMEX (e.g., I have an AMEX Platinum and an SPG AMEX, but charge most things to the SPG card), AMEX will provide the same (higher) level of coverage to purchases on all cards

I left an iPhone in a BA CW seat drawer and it was never found. I was beyond the first 90 days since purchase, but AMEX was happy to cover the phone under the insurance for carry-on baggage (which also has a higher limit than purchase protection) since I'd bought my BA ticket on my AMEX card and they considered the phone to be part of my carry-on baggage.
bump. is this still true?
Old May 25, 2018, 6:16 am

I don’t think so. I called AMEX a few months ago and they said this used to be true, but no longer.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would never call the service provider to ask a question such as this. Read the policy itself.

Not only does the service provider have an incentive to tell you that whatever it is is not covered, but you are dealing with low-level service center employees who are poorly-trained, likely have never read the document and likely only want to move on to the next call.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
... Read the policy itself.
Agreed, up to a point. American Express practice frequently deviates from policy, almost always in the customer's favor. The written policy won't tell you that the claim will be paid based on the best card that you hold.

Once upon a time there was an official American Express (USA) representative on Flyertalk, and she confirmed the practice of applying the terms of the best card, but then retracted the statement a few days later.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:27 pm

Just to add another DP, my lost claim was denied. Lost a Switch bought on personal SPG and have a Plat, denied because:
"...Benefits are not payable if the Covered Incident for which coverage is sought was directly or indirectly, wholly or partially, contributed to or caused by:...
...14. purchases that are lost and/or irretrievable (i.e. item is neither stolen nor damaged), misplaced, or Mysteriously Disappeared;..."
It still might depend on your insurance underwriter on a case by case basis though.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone used the benefit on a purchase valued at close to $10,000 ?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
anyone used the benefit on a purchase valued at close to $10,000 ?
What does your policy say the limits are? Generally a lot lower than that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.