IPhone 4 stolen!! :(

Old Jun 28, 10, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down IPhone 4 stolen!! :(

I am so freaking upset. Had my iPhone 4 at the bottom of my checked bag in it's original case while flying to Europe. Today is the third day I'm here And just noticed I had the phone in it's box stolen..!

I purchased 2 of them both on my Amex from best buy. Are they going to cover this or am I claiming to late? Is there a max I can claim or will they not do the $700 it cost ne with out contract. I'm so pissed I can't believe this crap happens.

Also it was a reward ticket and the taxes and all balances were paid on the Amex. It's been only 2 weeks...

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jun 28, 10, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, AS MVP, HH Dia, MR Plat
AMEX Purchase Protection does not cover theft of items in baggage not under your direct supervision, so you are probably out the full amount.

AMEX Baggage Protection may cover it, but you have to had purchased the coverage for your ticket before departure.
Old Jun 28, 10, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Gerald tnx fornthe reply.

I have baggage protection. You say under direct supervision.. It was my checked bags.. It really isn't in my direct supervision.. Wonder how that would fall.

What's your thought
Old Jun 28, 10, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Not sure what card you have, but I had an iPod and some $200 headphones swiped from my checked bag. They covered both without batting an eye. FWIW, I'm Centurion, but I may have still only been platinum at the time...
Old Jun 28, 10, 9:53 pm

Programs: Frontier Ascent, Marriot Silver Elite
Just curious, were you coming through LHR? I had a digital camera swiped coming through there.
Old Jun 28, 10, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, AS MVP, HH Dia, MR Plat
Originally Posted by platinumPizza View Post

I have baggage protection. You say under direct supervision.. It was my checked bags.. It really isn't in my direct supervision.. Wonder how that would fall.

What's your thought
You should contact AMEX for a claim. Make sure your flight is covered on baggage protection first - it's usually a $10 charge on your card next to your ticket.

Also, you need a statement from the airline before you leave baggage claim, so you may be too late to file a claim. Call AMEX and let us know what the result was.
Old Jun 28, 10, 10:15 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, JPMC Palladium, SPG/Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Chairmans Circle

What's your thought
That's definitely not direct supervision. I had a similar issue with a pair of shoes and they denied my claim since checked baggage = not under direct supervision. They said if it were in carryon baggage that may have been a different story
Old Jun 28, 10, 10:18 pm

Programs: SPG LT, Shangri-La GC Diamond, CX MP DM, EK Gold
I know, I know this won't be very helpful but I gotta say:

Never, ever check in anything you aren't prepared to lose / receive as a pile of trash.

As far as electronics go, the most exposure I have been willing to accept was to check in my notebook's power supply but that poses other risks as I might be stuck with a dead notebook if there are irregular ops and I end up in the lounge for half a day.

Now back to try and being helpful: Does the airline ever make ex-gratia settlements for this sort of case if one reports it and they know (but of course never admit) that in that time, at that port, there were many such incidents reported ?
Old Jun 28, 10, 10:20 pm

Programs: SPG LT, Shangri-La GC Diamond, CX MP DM, EK Gold
Originally Posted by brosnan6 View Post
That's definitely not direct supervision. I had a similar issue with a pair of shoes and they denied my claim since checked baggage = not under direct supervision. They said if it were in carryon baggage that may have been a different story
And then they wonder why people who go abroad for a few weeks on a long-haul try to bring 30 kilos of stuff as carry-on. Can't even trust them with shoes!

Were they Luis Vuitton shoes or something ?
Old Jun 28, 10, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they pay up for both, Me thinks that in the coming weeks+ there will be alot of these things being stolen out of bags. They're expensive and will bring a pretty penny overseas

I would have thought that they would consider them no different then camera equipment and if placed into checked bags a case of SOL
Old Jun 28, 10, 11:51 pm

I am so freaking upset. Had my iPhone 4 at the bottom of my checked bag in it's original case while flying to Europe. Today is the third day I'm here And just noticed I had the phone in it's box stolen..!

I purchased 2 of them both on my Amex from best buy. Are they going to cover this or am I claiming to late? Is there a max I can claim or will they not do the $700 it cost ne with out contract. I'm so pissed I can't believe this crap happens.

Also it was a reward ticket and the taxes and all balances were paid on the Amex. It's been only 2 weeks...

Thanks for any advice!
Are you sure they were lost by the airline? You discovered it on your 3rd day there so maybe they were stolen after you got to Europe?

It is strange that you hid them on the bottom of the suitcase and the baggage handler would have the time to take out the phones and close the boxes so you didn't discover the problem until 3 days later?
Old Jun 29, 10, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not trying to be the Grinch here, or anything, but how many threads have we had about leaving expensive stuff in checked luggage? Top of the bag, bottom of the bag, side of the bag, is still in checked luggage which is not a very bright thing to do.

Maybe they'll cover it and you'll get lucky. Or turn it into your homeowners or renters insurance.
Old Jun 29, 10, 10:49 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by username View Post
Are you sure they were lost by the airline? You discovered it on your 3rd day there so maybe they were stolen after you got to Europe?
or maybe if you have a plat or cent card, you just lost it or left it behind somewhere, eh? ;D
Old Jun 29, 10, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by edscholl View Post
or maybe if you have a plat or cent card, you just lost it or left it behind somewhere, eh? ;D
Insurance fraud, eh?
Old Jun 30, 10, 12:55 am

Programs: Skywards, Flying Blue Gold, BA Executive Club, Miles and More, SPG Gold
You might ask the airline to cover the cost. I had a GPS and digital camera stolen from my bags, flying J on Austrian, in Vienna, while in long transit there. They paid up - respect, I have to say....

Search this Thread