Travel Use Pre-Notification Online?

Old Jun 9, 10, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass Platinum, *G, Amex Plat, Priority Pass Prestige, Costa Coffee Loyalty Card
Travel Use Pre-Notification Online?

I've had enough bad experiences with cards declining in embarrassing situations that I now always pre-warn credit card companies of the countries I intend to travel in before my trips. When I set up my Amex (Gold UK) I told them that I was in US and UK frequently, and they put a note on my account that would last a year.

What I was wondering is whether there's a way to somehow let Amex know that I'll be in another country via the online account management rather than calling them? I often find it easier to spend a couple minutes online than make a phone call when I'm travelling, and I also don't like going through the phone authentication process where other people can hear.

What I'd love would be to have a place on the website which lists all the notes on your account, so you can see when you need to renew a travel note (since they only last for a year), and so you can take them off at the end of a trip, and add them before a trip or during an unexpected side-trip. Does this functionality exist anywhere on the Amex account site?
Old Jun 9, 10, 11:06 am

Not sure about the United Kingdom but please note American Express has added the following remarks to their United States Web site after you click on the NEW "check your spending ability button":

<<TRAVELING SOON? Please be aware that we need no notification of your travel plans in order for you to continue using your card. >>
Old Jun 9, 10, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass Platinum, *G, Amex Plat, Priority Pass Prestige, Costa Coffee Loyalty Card
Well, snap! Thanks for that
Old Jun 9, 10, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
Not sure about the United Kingdom but please note American Express has added the following remarks to their United States Web site after you click on the NEW "check your spending ability button":

<<TRAVELING SOON? Please be aware that we need no notification of your travel plans in order for you to continue using your card. >>
Yeah, great. Capitol One told me that and within 30 minutes of my first charge overseas I started getting emails about possible fraudulent activity on my account. I checked the online activity and only merchants I had dealt with were listed, and when I called they said "we saw overseas activity."

Remind me why I notified you?

Now, I realize Amex is better in pretty much all ways other than Forex than CapOne. But I'm a bit dubious of statements like that.
Old Jun 9, 10, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-alerts.html - I'm not sure I'd bother.

Search this Thread