How to transfer MR to hotel/airline points??

Old May 18, 10, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy How to transfer MR to hotel/airline points??

Hi, I'm trying to transfer Mrs P's MR points from a Blue card to one of my frequent guest and/or flyer programs. I'll get to the tougher question later (i.e., can I do this?) but first I have a more fundamental one...

Why is it that when I browse through the MR redemption options, there are ZERO transfer rewards?? When I had my corp card and my green card a few years ago (I only have the Starwood card now), it was easy to select which program I wanted to transfer (hotel/airline) to and then simply move the points across. Now when I try to do this I only get the Pay with Points option, which promptly links me to their consumer travel website. There are links to transfer points in the footnotes, but the links go nowhere!

Obviously I/Mrs P can call and ask but have they really made it this difficult, is it something about this particular card, or am I just missing something obvious? It's maddening!!!
Old May 18, 10, 8:29 pm

The Blue card is part of the Membership Rewards Express program, not the standard Membership Rewards program.

Transfers are not a part of the Express program.

Only the charge cards (Green, Gold, etc.) are part of the program that allows transfers.
Old May 18, 10, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Depending on how old the blue card is, it may be part of the full MR program (mine is), but, as mentioned, does not qualify for MR points transfer to other programs.
Old May 18, 10, 10:07 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
You may want to consider applying for the Gold since the annual fee is waived for the first year and link your MR acct to get the full MR...
Old May 19, 10, 3:17 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by pags05 View Post
...When I had my corp card and my green card a few years ago ..., it was easy to select which program I wanted to transfer (hotel/airline) to and then simply move the points across. ...
This verifies the explanations offered in the previous posts. a freestanding Blue credit card participates in Membership Rewards Express which does not include transfers. The solution is for the primary cardholder to apply for a Green, Gold or Platinum card which will be linked to the same Membership Rewards account which will be reclassified based on the highest level card.

Overlapping discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-canceled.html

Search this Thread