Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hidden Criteria for UK Centurion invitation?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2010, 6:40 am

Programs: UA global, VS Gld , SPG plat
I am stuggling to see how it is worth GBP1800 per year. I have had it for 2 years now and have missed the point I think. Ok it looks and feel nice and it impresses some people (ie people you hand your card to such as shop asistants, hotel receptions etc). Why do I want to impress these people and pay for it ?

The points are not very good at all. 1 virgin point per pound. On the Gold Amex you get 2 points. On the Virgin Amex you get 2 points plus 4 points when you spend on Virgin. But on the Cent you still only get 1.

The wonderful service - when ? Each time I call up the travel deptartment they have very basic knowledge and cannot answer anything unusual. The fares they quote in every case are higher than you can get yourself.

Can someone remind me what I am getting for my money please.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JCBR
Can someone remind me what I am getting for my money please.
so why you are still keeping the card, there must be a reason that only yourself konw.

You never know how well the card works for you till you have owned it for a while, so I think at least give it a try, if you found it is not right for you later, you always have the option to cancel, it is only a phone call away!
Old Jul 2, 2010, 6:52 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by beergut
Had similar myself, they said that the "exec" level team would call me but they never did, about 2 months later I got the invitation through the mail.
Another call this time directly to Cent CS. Another "we'll look into it, and promise to get back to you this afternoon" and again no contact. If they want high-spenders to fork out £1800 and stick with Amex (particularly as you guys say, other cards have great benefits at lower cost) then they really need to sort out the CS/invite process. They shouldn't call someone and say "you're eligible, we'll get the ball rolling" and then just let it sit around! Useless. That said, it seems some people go from "your eligble" to receiving a card in <2 weeks, others don't hear for 2-3 months.

So there is a "Prospective Accounts" team, an "Executive Team" decision level and a "New Accounts" team..... yikes. Just for a card that has fairly clearly defined requirements albeit officially invitiation only??
Old Jul 7, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Heh - and my buddy got rejected after all that. I guess there is more than just the £120k 12 month spend, regular use of travel services, flawless payment history, plat card for >1 year and >200k p.a. income. Not sure what it is though!
Old Jul 7, 2010, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YClass
Heh - and my buddy got rejected after all that. I guess there is more than just the £120k 12 month spend, regular use of travel services, flawless payment history, plat card for >1 year and >200k p.a. income. Not sure what it is though!
after i was told about the £110k, i charged 30-40k a month to my Plat for about 2 months. before they sent me the invitation, they did ask if i will keep charging the similar figure, I said yes. so maybe Amex was potentially looking for £300-£400K a year, despite saying about the £120k, just a guess!

Last edited by ysb41; Jul 7, 2010 at 2:14 pm Reason: correct figure
Old Jul 10, 2010, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ysb41
after i was told about the £110k, i charged 30-40k a month to my Plat for about 2 months. before they sent me the invitation, they did ask if i will keep charging the similar figure, I said yes. so maybe Amex was potentially looking for £300-£400K a year, despite saying about the £120k, just a guess!
Must be, I spend around 150k a year on my Plat card and they rejected me. They said they would review in 6 months... In all fairness, it's getting harder and harder to spend as I see more companies (in Scotland) stopping taking it -bars/clubs/restaurants. Even suppliers are now offering me incentives to use Mastercard/Visa/BACS over AMEX (and yes I know it's against the rules but it still happens).
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Platinum, BA Amex PP, SPG Gold
Centurion UK membership requirements?

Please could someone remind me of the membership requirements for a UK Centurion? Do they look at monthly spend (on existing Amex Platinum) and do they look at the types of purchases as well as value?

Obviously a high credit rating is required, but is there anything else?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

chrishow's post has been moved from another thread to revive this discussion. Please read the older posts before replying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.