Centurion Benefits - Then & Now

Old May 3, 10, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
Centurion Benefits - Then & Now

Although I want one for the simple benefits that I have read about on FT among other sites. I am curious what benefits are available now and what used to be a benefit and no longer is. Anyone have a wish list of benefits that you want or want back? Favorites? or Best experiences?

I am not sure if all of this has been discussed in the past but I haven't seen it recently, so I thought Id start this thread. Thanks for any post you contribute. And if this is a repost, I am sure MIA will move it to it's rightful place.

Once again, Thanks, I hope to read some "new" & enlightening facts.
Old May 3, 10, 9:03 pm

Programs: SPG gold; otherwise just base in everything so far, but learning!
While I am not a Centurion member, from reading the forum I believe the benefit members miss most is Starwood Platinum status.
Old May 3, 10, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
What's the point? Centurion lost the bulk of the Elite Status benefits because Amex's travel partners assumed that luring in Centurion members was going to boost sales. That didn't happen, so over time they backed out. Concierge was good to stellar at launch and few years after that, from reports here its on par with Platinum concierge now (pretty hit or miss). Titanium cards are cool.

Reminiscing isn't going to bring them back. You'd have better luck wishing the Rams back to LA or the Expos back to Montreal.

Your best bet for buying status is to hook up with Hilton Surpass and Delta Reserve Amex products. Spend $70K and you'll get Delta Silver (plus 45K or so in Delta miles) and Hilton Diamond status (plus about 160K or so HHonors points). All for about $600 in fees.

Rumor has it that Starwood will be joining the fray soon with a new 'buy status' Amex product. That one will be interesting.

Last edited by skofarrell; May 4, 10 at 1:45 pm Reason: correction on DL status!
Old May 3, 10, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by skofarrell View Post

Rumor has it that Starwood will be joining the fray soon with a new 'buy status' Amex product. That one will be interesting.
Pray tell what status one could buy. As it is, if one spends $30K on the AMEX SPG, Gold status is granted. Are you talking about buying up Platinum?
Old May 4, 10, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Okto View Post
Pray tell what status one could buy. As it is, if one spends $30K on the AMEX SPG, Gold status is granted. Are you talking about buying up Platinum?
There was a survey that went out a few months back gauging interest in a card product that could get Plat through spend, like the HHonors Surpass.
Old May 4, 10, 10:56 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Delta Reserve Amex...Spend $100K and you'll get Delta Gold (plus 100K in Delta miles) and Hilton Diamond status (plus about 160K or so HHonors points).
To be sure I understand correctly, the spending would be $60,000 on the Delta card and $40,000 on the Hilton card?

In the first year this would generate 40,000 DL MQM's (10,000 first spend; 15,000 at $30,000; 15,000 at $60,000). Gold requires 50,000. Is there a way to obtain more MQM's from the card, or only by flying (or other promotions)?
Old May 4, 10, 11:56 am

There was a survey that went out a few months back gauging interest in a card product that could get Plat through spend, like the HHonors Surpass.
That'd be great for someone (like me) who doesn't do 25+ stays at Starwood. Plus, no shelling out $$$$ in fees for Centurion.
I'm sure that SPG Plats who earn it the "hard way" would be upset at this, as shown in this thread in the SPG forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...nd-comped.html

Last edited by Okto; May 4, 10 at 12:28 pm Reason: typo
Old May 4, 10, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia View Post
To be sure I understand correctly, the spending would be $60,000 on the Delta card and $40,000 on the Hilton card?

In the first year this would generate 40,000 DL MQM's (10,000 first spend; 15,000 at $30,000; 15,000 at $60,000). Gold requires 50,000. Is there a way to obtain more MQM's from the card, or only by flying (or other promotions)?
Thanks for the catch mia, i should have said Silver. So technically, you'd only need to spend $70K. $30K (DL for Silver) and $40K (Hilton Diamond). If you spent the $60K on the DL Reserve, you'd be only a few flights away from Gold.
Old May 4, 10, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Okto View Post
That'd be great for someone (like me) who doesn't do 25+ stays at Starwood. Plus, no shelling out $$$$ in fees for Centurion.
I'm sure that SPG Plats who earn it the "hard way" would be upset at this, as shown in this thread in the SPG forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...nd-comped.html
No doubt as annoyed as the Hilton Diamonds that earned it the hard way. I doubt centurion is getting the SPG Plan benefit back. Better chance is this new mythical product that let you get it for spend.

Search this Thread