Wiki Posts
Search

CO/UA merger: Membership Rewards transfers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL (MM), UA(MM) , AA(MM) , Bonvoy - LT Titanium
CO/UA merger: Membership Rewards transfers

If the merger does happen, would it be worth it to transfer AMEX MR points (300K+) to CO, with the expectation that CO and UA would eventually merge their respective accounts.

Anyone else thinking about this as an option? Any CO transfer promotions on the horizon?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:38 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Only when the DOJ and DOT approve the merger.

In 2000, when UA / US were together, one could transfer US miles to UA and back. When this option is available and yo uhve linked the accounts, do so, not now.

Also, if UA & CO merge, Amex will be out soon of the mix, as Chase will take over both airlines financing.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 7:44 pm

Programs: United 1K, AMEX Plat, Priority Club Plat, Starwood Gold
I personally would not transfer miles to CO. I would think that any rebranded UA/CO merger would continue the practice of *net blocking. (Check out the UA board for *net blocking)

If you want to transfer miles to a * Alliance carrier, I like Air Canada.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hopscotch1
I personally would not transfer miles to CO. I would think that any rebranded UA/CO merger would continue the practice of *net blocking. (Check out the UA board for *net blocking)

If you want to transfer miles to a * Alliance carrier, I like Air Canada.
I hear AC is pretty stingy when it comes to Premium inventory to SYD. Then again so is everyone else. Anyone have any experience with NZ?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 8:28 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Part of me thinks that it might make sense to transfer some MR points to CO with the hope that the miles eventually merge into one account. My guess is that AMEX will be cut out of the CO relationship pretty quickly.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 8:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ffI
Only when the DOJ and DOT approve the merger.
Agreed, but don't wait too long because of this provision in Membership Rewards Terms and Conditions which allows American Express to limit transfers to departing partners:

In the event that notice must be given that an airline will cease participation in the program, we reserve the right to limit the number of points to an amount not less than 100,000 points that you may convert into that airline’s Frequent Flyer program prior to the date that the airline’s participation in the program ceases.

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...rmsSplash.aspx
Old Apr 30, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: AMEX PR, DELTA SM
I'm fairly new to the world of miles and points. I've always picked a credit card based on low interest rates because I used to carry a balance short term. I got married about two years ago and now we travel once a year for vacation. We have been taking international trips as of late because my wife's sister is in the navy and we get to stay with her without having to spend on a hotel.

After our trip to Greece in October of last year I decided miles are something I should look into since its a bonus to get a possible free trip that could save us a few thousand dollars. I signed up for the AMEX PR Gold Card; I've been very happy with the card and Have managed to bank around 40k points on personal spend since October.

I thought I had it all figured out; seemed like Delta wasn't a bad option and the PR card was better option than the Delta affinity card. But reality set in that I'm going to be waiting a long time to get a reward from Delta since the redemption options appear to be really expensive. So after reading this forum I figured it would be a good idea to start stashing my miles in CO and fly *A metal. Its working pretty well for me now. Since CO and UA are most likely merging I doubt that CO/UA will continue as a long term partner for my CC. What now? Start collecting Delta miles and hope for a redemption in a few years? I've looked into stashing my miles in Aeroplan but when I've tried to find redemption options from my regional airport (PIA) they appear to be non existent. I am able to drop about 3 hours to Chicago and fly out of ORD. Its a little bit of an inconvenience but it's also a free trip so can't complain too much.

I have looked at just keeping miles in UAs program but then I can't top it off with my CC and looks like about every flight I've seen to Europe has non existent award availability. So what's a guy to do? Seems like I picked a horrible time to get in on the mileage game. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 9:24 am
mia

Originally Posted by ciscoguy81
...stashing my miles in CO and fly *A metal. Its working pretty well for me now. Since CO and UA are most likely merging I doubt that CO/UA will continue as a long term partner for my CC. What now?.
1. How are you earning the miles that you are stashing at Continental? If these are Membership Rewards points they are best left at American Express until you are ready to redeem.

2. You have ample time to adjust your strategy. CO/UA must agree, then the US government must agree, and it will take time thereafter to integrate OnePass with Mileage Plus.

Which Star Alliance airlines serve Peoria? CO, UA, US? Mainline or commuter?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: AMEX PR, DELTA SM
Originally Posted by mia
1. How are you earning the miles that you are stashing at Continental? If these are Membership Rewards points they are best left at American Express until you are ready to redeem.

2. You have ample time to adjust your strategy. CO/UA must agree, then the US government must agree, and it will take time thereafter to integrate OnePass with Mileage Plus.

Which Star Alliance airlines serve Peoria? CO, UA, US? Mainline or commuter?
Well partly from flying. As I state earlier I'm stashing my miles flown with a *A carrier in CO. But since CO is also a transfer partner with AMEX I'm planning to top the account off with MR points I've accrued.

I'm not worried about right now I'm worried about 12-24 months out when and if the merger goes though. UA serves Peoria; with the CRJs up to ORD its about a 20-30 minute flight.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Since CO Credit Cards are issued by Chase, I always presumed that after CO joined *A the days of the tie with AMEX were numbered. Now with the UA merger, I suspect it may happen even before the merger is complete.

I suppose a transfer bonus to AMEX is not going to be coming any time soon!
Old May 1, 2010, 1:42 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
I believe AMEX is contractually barred (in contracts with other U.S. carriers) from offering point transfers to UA and AA, so AMEX couldn't continue to offer UA as a partner even if both UA and AMEX wanted to. (I may be entirely wrong, but I'd heard this from someone in the industry a few years back.)

One other thing to consider with the merger is the inclusion of President's Club access with Platinum and Centurion cards. I can't imagine other AMEX partners would be willing to accept AMEX providing access to all U.S. carriers' lounges (save U.S.). That would significantly diminish carriers' ability to sell their own memberships and remove one of the incentives for participating in the lounge access program: getting people who would otherwise be indifferent about carrier to fly AMEX partners for the lounge access.
Old May 2, 2010, 3:00 am

When UA and CO merge, will MR remove CO or keep the new program?

when UA merges with CO, will MR program keep the new FF program or will they drop it? what do you think?
would be nice to finally be able to transfer 1:1 MR to United Mileage Plus
Old May 2, 2010, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Eurosport
when UA merges with CO, will MR program keep the new FF program or will they drop it? what do you think?
would be nice to finally be able to transfer 1:1 MR to United Mileage Plus
Probably gonna get dropped.

Unless you are upgrading on UA metal why not just leverage NH and AC for better rates, routings and availability on everything other than UA metal for your *A rewards?
Old May 2, 2010, 9:56 am
mia

Originally Posted by tullupump
UA offers a Chase branded card ...it does get you into the RCC.
Correct me if I am misinformed, but the credit card itself does not provide admission to any lounge. It's merely bundled with an annual President's Club membership which has reciprocal acceptance with UA and US clubs.
Old May 2, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: OnePass Platinum, *G, Amex Plat, Priority Pass Prestige, Costa Coffee Loyalty Card
What about those of us with non-USD Amex accounts? I have a UK account, and there are no alternatives for earning UA/CO miles over here.

There's talk of a UA account with Barclaycard, but the benefits on that are going to be abysmal...I like my Amex benefits!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.