Best Amex card for me, advice please.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Best Amex card for me, advice please.

My monthly expenses include
$1000 on hotels
$300 on restaurants
$200 on Costco/groceries (which may increase if I start to collect those hyatt gift certificates available at Costco)
$600 on rental cars
$100 on gas

What is the best Amex card to earn rewards?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If you were to use the TrueEarnings® Card from Costco and American Express you would earn:

• $1000 on hotels @ 2%
  • $300 on restaurants @ 3%
  • $200 on Costco/groceries @ 1%
  • $600 on rental cars @ 2%
  • $100 on gas @ 3%

Weighted average 2.9%, but verify my arithmetic.

http://www201.americanexpress.com/ge...o-TrueEarnings
Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:58 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
I agree with Mia.

I have a Costco Amex. It's my primary card.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Mia, I am seriously considering Costco TrueEarnings card. But I already have my Costco membership card valid until 09/2010. What should I do to make the best value out for the money?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Angel.
How long should I wait in order to use this card?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I have never shopped at Costco, but I don't think there is any reason to synchronize your membership year with the anniversary date of the credit card. In my understanding the credit card does not replace the membership card. (Rest assured, if I am mistaken someone will mention it in a reply. )

Meanwhile, I don't think you should rush to get this card without comparing it to other American Express products. Use the figures in my first reply as a baseline for comparison with other cards.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by gpp79
Thanks Mia, I am seriously considering Costco TrueEarnings card. But I already have my Costco membership card valid until 09/2010. What should I do to make the best value out for the money?
Your membership period does not change. It will continue to renew every Sept and the card will have its on starting date. There is no reason for them to be in sequence. Plus once you receive your Amex, visit the membership desk, they might still have a promo to add two free months to your membership.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by gpp79
Thanks Angel.
How long should I wait in order to use this card?
Time is money, the longer you wait, the less you earn back.

Apply now.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I have never shopped at Costco, but I don't think there is any reason to synchronize your membership year with the anniversary date of the credit card. In my understanding the credit card does not replace the membership card. (Rest assured, if I am mistaken someone will mention it in a reply. )

Meanwhile, I don't think you should rush to get this card without comparing it to other American Express products. Use the figures in my first reply as a baseline for comparison with other cards.
You can still use your regular membership card but they Amex basically can be used as a credit card and membership card, its stamped on the back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.