Upgrade to Platinum Appeared In Interface

Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade to Platinum Appeared In Interface

I finally got an American Express OPEN Gold charge card two days ago and I am very happy. I've always wanted an Amex for a variety of reasons and I finally got one after nearly waiting 4 years to build enough credit history for Amex to accept me.

Anyway, upon logging in I noticed a pre-approved offers box in my interface that reads "Upgrade to Platinum". Does this mean I am guaranteed the Platinum? Or is this just an upsell that links to another another application and credit check?

The reason I ask is that I am a new member that greatly cherishes their membership and do not want to alarm Amex with too many open lines of credit or inquires until some history is built. I do however really want the Platinum card.

My opinion is upgrading to Platinum does not increase the risk to Amex in anyway. It makes more business sense to them as the annual fee is higher then the Gold card. Platinum does not necessarily mean higher invisible limit or spending. At least that is my view on it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Foreigner2009; Mar 23, 2010 at 10:50 pm
Old Mar 24, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: AMEX
Originally Posted by Foreigner2009
I finally got an American Express OPEN Gold charge card two days ago and I am very happy. I've always wanted an Amex for a variety of reasons and I finally got one after nearly waiting 4 years to build enough credit history for Amex to accept me.

Anyway, upon logging in I noticed a pre-approved offers box in my interface that reads "Upgrade to Platinum". Does this mean I am guaranteed the Platinum? Or is this just an upsell that links to another another application and credit check?

The reason I ask is that I am a new member that greatly cherishes their membership and do not want to alarm Amex with too many open lines of credit or inquires until some history is built. I do however really want the Platinum card.

My opinion is upgrading to Platinum does not increase the risk to Amex in anyway. It makes more business sense to them as the annual fee is higher then the Gold card. Platinum does not necessarily mean higher invisible limit or spending. At least that is my view on it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Well, I had that option, but I had my Gold card for at lease a year and a bit...

It is still a new App, so they will look at your credit report again... Everything involves checking your CR when opening anything... I would say if you want the card try, but I would just wait because too many inquiries on the CR may cut your chances//
Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1) Do you really want the Platinum card and will you get value from the significant increase in the annual fee?

2) Don't just click through on the ad on their webpage. There are often promos for bonus MR points or other deals to upgrade the card. Much better than just doing it "for free."
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Not meaning to sound arrogant, but the $450 annual fee is essentially a "drop in the bucket" compared to the benefits and spending we plan on doing on this card. The end goal is to upgrade to Centurion after being a card member for a year, but like I said I want to start slow as to not alarm AMEX. Is "upgrading" essentially another line of credit? I can't see why they'd check credit again to upgrade to a card they're already pre-approving you for. AMEX does soft inquires behind the scenes fairly frequently to check for judgements, foreclosures, bankruptcy proceedings so it wouldn't make sense to make another hard inquiry.

Thanks for the tip on not clicking through on the webpage!

Big thanks to everyone for the feedback

Last edited by Foreigner2009; Mar 24, 2010 at 2:33 pm
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I recently upgraded a Business Green account to Business Platinum. There was no hard pull, and the account number remained the same.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I recently upgraded a Business Green account to Business Platinum. There was no hard pull, and the account number remained the same.
Thanks MIA!

What happens with your Business Green? Are you still able to use it? Just wondering how that works. I guess unlike traditional credit cards there is no second open line of credit when adding more cards just different benefits, level of service, and annual fee. Your invisible limit is still there across all cards so any risk incurred by requesting more cards is negated.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 3:12 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
What happens with your Business Green? .
The cards have the identical account number. It's the same "account" with a new piece of plastic and different benefits.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
The cards have the identical account number. It's the same "account" with a new piece of plastic and different benefits.
Oh I see, that makes sense.

Thanks again MIA!
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:40 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Up or downgrading within Green/Gold/Platinum is a smooth switch not involving credit checks or switching the account number. The credit report only shows Amex without specifying which one you have. The only difference is an upgrade to Centurion. That is a new account application and you will get a new account number.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:13 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Not meaning to sound arrogant, but the $450 annual fee is essentially a "drop in the bucket" compared to the benefits and spending we plan on doing on this card. The end goal is to upgrade to Centurion after being a card member for a year, but like I said I want to start slow as to not alarm AMEX.
not really on topic, but you must have a somewhat weird credit / income / spend history to have to work four years to get amex to accept you, but then be ready for a centurion a year later. i got my first amex just a couple years out of college with very little credit history and very little spend (probably less than $5k/year) on my other cards, combined.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edscholl
not really on topic, but you must have a somewhat weird credit / income / spend history to have to work four years to get amex to accept you, but then be ready for a centurion a year later. i got my first amex just a couple years out of college with very little credit history and very little spend (probably less than $5k/year) on my other cards, combined.
I had no credit history when I first applied for AMEX. I believe their minimum is 2 revolving accounts for two years. I just surpassed that 2 year mark and got an invitation in the mail. I was skeptical as I've received similar offers before and was denied. My credit history is flawless, just minimal. Most of the people I knew that had AMEX got it right off the bat without any credit history or started with AMEX student cards. I guess the credit crunch really slowed down how many new cards were issued and how strict the approval process was.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 2:45 pm
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
Where is this box in your screen? Print-screen if possible.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zaf
Where is this box in your screen? Print-screen if possible.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:54 pm
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
Thanx alot..
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:29 pm

@Foreigner2009

I am in the same situation.... received a pre-selected offer for the Green American Express card... tried and applied.... for my suprise, i was approved, since i just tried to get it 2 months ago and i was declined.

Then i called Amex after a week and asked, if they can upgrade me to a Platinum card since i want that card to use it on my travels etc..

They said, i cant upgrade, i would have to wait 13 months until i can upgrade. If i want the Platinum Card, i have to make a new application and she transferred me to New Accounts. That guy just checked my data and then put me on hold... i thought already, that i will be declined...but for my suprise the guy returned back and told me that i am approved for the Platinum card and that he will send it by UPS so it should expedite it a little bit. Now i have 2 Amex cards, he said, i can keep the Green one, since its first year is free or i can cancel it.

I am going to cancel the green one once i receive my new Platinum card... Don't really need 2 Amex cards...

So my advice, call in and try it out...you might have to make a new application, but what could happen? Even if they make a hard pull, you already have a Amex card and i think, the credit score system just thinks, its for the same account/application and he was not declined since you just got your gold card...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.