Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Warranty - Does the whole purchase have to be on an AmEx card?

Old Feb 8, 2010, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT

I bought a new camera using a combination of gift cards and my AmEx. I was wondering if I still get the extended warranty, even though the entire amount wasn't put on my card.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
I have been told that the coverage would only be up to the amount put on the card. Thus if you purchased a $500 camera with $350 in gift cards and $150 on Amex, and you filed a claim using the extended warranty (or any other protection for that matter), the maximum payout would be the $150. Note also that if the receipt includes tax, delivery, etc., that's excluded as well. Assume that they figure you paid that stuff with Amex further reducing the potential claim.

Note that this was something I was told, not at all sure this allowed based on the t&c, and haven't put it to the test. Note also that this is specifically not true for the car rental coverage (many, many discussions on that).
Old Feb 8, 2010, 2:17 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
https://www.onlineclaim.americanexpr...e&productId=05

Loss means the product malfunction which necessitates the repair or replacement of any one product, as covered by the terms of that product's original warranty which is valid in the United States of America when the expense of the purchase, whether for Your use or as a gift, has been charged to Your Account.

We will pay up to the actual amount charged to Your Account for the product for which a Loss is claimed, but not to exceed $10,000.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
For loss due to rental car damage, which can exceed the amount you charged for the rental, the entire charge must be on the AmEx. Also, the coverage doesn't cover blown tires, as I recently found out.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by safigan
For loss due to rental car damage, which can exceed the amount you charged for the rental, the entire charge must be on the AmEx. Also, the coverage doesn't cover blown tires, as I recently found out.
Your coverage is a different type of coverage than the OP questioned. But now you have my curiosity peaked and this how threads get hijacked. Did you rent from a major car company. Did you go some where you should not? As in Alaska you have to stay off that darn highway. I would think most major rental car companies cover tires. Am I wrong?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by mbreuer
Note also that if the receipt includes tax, delivery, etc., that's excluded as well.
Actually, only shipping fees are excluded from claims.

Taxes may be included with the item cost when submitting claims and are reimbursed for approved claims.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:52 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat, Amex Plat, CSP. FAA Rotorcraft PPL
Originally Posted by safigan
My platinum rental car insurance covered two blown tires. Saved it from being more embarrassing than it already was.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
I would think most major rental car companies cover tires. Am I wrong?
Amex have covered me several times with a blown tire as well as a chipped/cracked windshield. Although a couple of times, I've paid for tire out of pocket (on the same Amex the vehicle was rented), and then they reimbursed me.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by WBOTM
Actually, only shipping fees are excluded from claims.

Taxes may be included with the item cost when submitting claims and are reimbursed for approved claims.
Didn't know that - thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:29 pm

(hope it's okay to necrobump this, as it was my top google result for "amex warranty with gift card")

I bought a $200 gift card on my Amex from a specific retailer, and am now interested in a $250 product from that specific retailer. If I used up that $200 gift card, then put the remaining $50 on the same Amex that funded that gift card, does anyone know if Amex extended warranty would apply to that full $250, or just the direct $50?

(On a different note, I'm assuming that Amex wouldn't replace my product if it's out of production? so I figure I may as well drain the gift card?)
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:39 pm

(This thread also came up as a top Google hit for me, for the same inquiry.)

I called American Express earlier today and spoke with "Alex". I asked him if purchases of gift cards or store credit to the Amex card, which are then used to purchase a product, would be covered for the extended warranty benefit. The answer is probably, but it is a novel question and since Amex does not do scenario analysis, the decision would ultimately lie with the claims adjuster.

First, read http://americanexpress.com/EWterms carefully. Relevant text:

Loss means the product malfunction which necessitates the repair or replacement of any one product, as covered by the terms of that product's original warranty which is valid in the United States of America when the expense of the purchase, whether for Your use or as a gift, has been charged to Your Account.
We will pay up to the actual amount charged to Your Account for the product for which a Loss is claimed, but not to exceed $10,000.
Extended Warranty does not reimburse for shipping and handling expenses or installation, assembly, professional advice, maintenance or other service charges.
Only a Cardmember has a legal and equitable
right to any insurance benefit that may be
available under this Plan.
Termination or Cancellation
Coverage will cease on the earliest of the following:

4. the date You are no longer a Cardmember;

Termination or cancellation of coverage will not prejudice any claim originating prior to termination or cancellation subject to all other terms of the Policy.
First of all, you must be an active cardmember of any American Express card when you file the claim (and never have left the company entirely, i.e., cease to be a cardmember). You do not have to have the specific card that you used to charge the purchase, but there must be continuity of your relationship with Amex as a whole. After you file the claim, you can terminate your relationship with American Express; they will honor pending claims. (I asked the representative, Alex, this specifically.)

The key language here includes: "when the expense of the purchasehas been charged to Your Account" and "We will pay up to the actual amount charged to Your Account for the product." The second part clearly indicates that if you pay for some of the purchase with your American Express Card Account directly, and for the rest with cash, you are limited to the portion charged to the account.

Now, if you pay for some with your card directly, and some with a gift card that you paid for with your card directly, does it qualify as "the expense of the purchase" being "charged to Your Account"? I would argue yes. I do not see the difference between the gift card purchase, and asking the merchant to swipe your card twice at the register. It does not say that you have to charge the entire purchase price to the Card Account at the time of the actual purchase. (To provide contrast, there is another American Express policy regarding car rental insurance, that says that you have to charge the entire amount of the rental to the Card at the time of the rental, to qualify.) The language also does not call out that the expense has to be at the same merchant from whom you purchased the product. Therefore I would think that if you pay Merchant A with your card and Merchant A pays Merchant B for Merchant B drop-ship your item to you, that would qualify.

I believe the probably of success is 60% but the representative Alex suggested 50/50. YMMV!
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
A related question: would a purchase paid in monthly installments, e.g. a phone, qualify for purchase & ext. warranty protection? Presuming the phone gets bought out in the event of a loss which necessitates replacement, thereby putting the entire cost on the card (eventually).

Last edited by Finance_underling; Mar 16, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.