Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
USA personal Platinum Card benefits site

USA Business Platinum Card benefits site

Activate card

USA cardholders work through this list to activate benefits:
  1. Enroll in Priority Pass Select .
  2. Enroll in Airline Fee Credit benefit and choose carrier. You must enroll and choose a carrier prior to making a reimbursable purchase. Read: AA AS B6 DL F9 HA UA WN
  3. Apply for Global Entry ($100 reimbursement) or TSA PreCheck ($85 reimbursement). Global Entry includes TSA PreCheck, but the application process is more involved.
  4. Enroll for Avis, Hertz and National Car Rental Privileges.
  5. Use National status to obtain Hertz Five Star status HERE.
  6. Enroll in Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status.
  7. Enroll in Hilton Gold Status
  8. Subscribe to Departures Extra email newsletter.
  9. Subscribe to Entertainment newsletter.
  10. Call 888-462-4725 to enroll in Neiman Marcus InCircle program.
  11. Activate free Shoprunner membership
  12. Order free supplementary Gold or Green cards for those whose airline or hotel accounts you plan to link to Membership Rewards. The additional card must be open for 90 days before linking is permitted.
  13. Business Platinum cardholders only: enroll in GoGo Preferred Program (in-flight internet access).

Wait till Janaury 1st and purchase another $200 Airline ecerts (USA only)
Print Wikipost

New Platinum Card: To-Do List

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2011, 2:23 pm

Does the bonus points apply to all purchases made at the online merchant? Meaning if I know that I want to buy something at J.Crew, could I buy gift cards for them online, get the 4x points, and take the gift cards and spend them in store? Rinse and repeat for other merchants that partcipate in the Bonus Points Mall?
Old May 31, 2011, 2:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You need to read the terms of the specific offer. The J Crew terms are:

Purchases of gift cards and gift certificates not eligible to earn bonus points. To be eligible to earn bonus points, you must be enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program ("Program") at the time of purchase and you must charge your qualifying purchase through the www.membershiprewards.com/earn website on an eligible, enrolled American Express® Card. For a listing of all eligible and non-eligible Card products, please visit www.americanexpress.com/cards or call the 800 number on the back of your card. Offers on www.membershiprewards.com/earn are eligible for US Membership Rewards-enrolled Cardmembers only and are not valid in all markets. Purchases which involve shipment of items to an address outside of the United States may not qualify to earn bonus points. To be eligible to earn bonus points, you must be enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program ("Program") at the time of purchase and you must charge your qualifying purchase on an eligible, enrolled American Express® Card. Offers on membershiprewards.com/earn are eligible for US Membership Rewards-enrolled Card members only. Only qualified purchases made through the method specifically described in the "How To Get Offer" section are eligible to earn bonus points. Participating merchants are subject to change without notice. Additional terms and conditions apply and appear at www.membershiprewards.com/earn. Bonus points will be credited to your Program account within 8-12 weeks after charges appear on your billing statement Membership Rewards Express® and Membership Rewards® Enrollees Bonus ID: 1935. Membership Rewards First® Enrollees Bonus ID: 8445.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, United Club lifetime member, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Another to-do: sign up for Global Entry!

If you travel internationally at all, sign up for Global Entry at the U.S. government website:

http://www.globalentry.gov/howtoapply.html

At the appropriate point in the process, use your Amex Platinum card to pay the $100 application fee; they will rapidly (and automatically) credit you back the fee. I did this soon after the benefit began being offered, and they credited back the fee very quickly (within a day or so). The whole application and interview process was very painless at my home airport of BOS, and I was approved in the system the same day I completed my 20 minute interview (which was scheduled within a week after I submitted my online application). I recently got to use the benefit for the first time returning from SJO-IAH. I breezed through immigration and customs in about 5 minutes; my friend who was traveling with me took nearly 40 minutes to do the same. The approval in the system lasts for 5 years. Great benefit!
Old May 31, 2011, 11:07 pm

Does anyone know whether National Executive status is still a benefit of the platinum card? Last I can tell, it was offered in 2010, but the link was used by many non-amex card holders and national shut it down. Can't find a reference to this benefit on amex web site anywhere. Still possible?
Old May 31, 2011, 11:57 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by lkar
Does anyone know whether National Executive status is still a benefit of the platinum card? Last I can tell, it was offered in 2010, but the link was used by many non-amex card holders and national shut it down. Can't find a reference to this benefit on amex web site anywhere. Still possible?
Yes it is, you have to be logged in to get to the link though.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/c...ARDS/137/1/0/7

They seem to have fixed many of the loopholes that allowed non Plat cardholders to access links and codes for benefits, like now you have to call the number on the back of your card to get SPG gold membership.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Aaron01
Yes it is, you have to be logged in to get to the link though.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/c...ARDS/137/1/0/7

They seem to have fixed many of the loopholes that allowed non Plat cardholders to access links and codes for benefits, like now you have to call the number on the back of your card to get SPG gold membership.
Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by mia
i was able to do this today. i called amex, they asked for spg # and got it added, less than 5 min. guess they extended the date.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:56 am
mia

Originally Posted by alwayslookinaround
...guess they extended the date.
February 4, 2011 is merely the date when Starwood's representative announced new verification requirements for this benefit. The benefit itself never changed.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:26 am

bumped to Starwood Preferred Guest Gold status

Received my AMEX Platinum card about a week ago. One benefit is bump to Gold Status. Does the status begin as soon as I received the AMEX card or does it start Jan 1 to Dec 31 for 2012?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:00 am

You know that it is not automatic right? I called to have mine activated, you could ask then.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by metoo
Received my AMEX Platinum card about a week ago. One benefit is bump to Gold Status. Does the status begin as soon as I received the AMEX card or does it start Jan 1 to Dec 31 for 2012?
It will take effect after you enroll for the benefit.

Go to:

http://www.americanexpress.com/platinum

Under "Travel Privileges" click "Starwood Preferred Guest Program" then select "Enroll Now" in the side pane.

Additionally, highly recommend you explore all the benefits referenced at the above link. That will provide you with information on what you need to do to instantiate each feature/benefit.

Regards
Old Aug 13, 2011, 2:53 pm
mia

Moderator action

Moved metoo's question in this discussion of Platinum features which require activation. Starwood Gold is not the only one which requires cardholder iniiative.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:44 am

Airport lounge access - AA and Delta Sky club

As an AMEX platinum cardholder, would guest be able to enter the AA admiral club or Delta Sky club with me for free?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by metoo
As an AMEX platinum cardholder, would guest be able to enter the AA admiral club or Delta Sky club with me for free?
If you are traveling on one of those airlines, then yes.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:25 am

Thanks ....Geez, when I first applied for this card, I thought I would never pay $450 annual fee. But with the Priority Pass Select, Airport Lounge Access, and $200 back for airline incidental, this card is cheap.

I get $200 for this year and $200 for next year. A keeper for me.

Last edited by metoo; Aug 14, 2011 at 11:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.