Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
USA personal Platinum Card benefits site

USA Business Platinum Card benefits site

Activate card

USA cardholders work through this list to activate benefits:
  1. Enroll in Priority Pass Select .
  2. Enroll in Airline Fee Credit benefit and choose carrier. You must enroll and choose a carrier prior to making a reimbursable purchase. Read: AA AS B6 DL F9 HA UA WN
  3. Apply for Global Entry ($100 reimbursement) or TSA PreCheck ($85 reimbursement). Global Entry includes TSA PreCheck, but the application process is more involved.
  4. Enroll for Avis, Hertz and National Car Rental Privileges.
  5. Use National status to obtain Hertz Five Star status HERE.
  6. Enroll in Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status.
  7. Enroll in Hilton Gold Status
  8. Subscribe to Departures Extra email newsletter.
  9. Subscribe to Entertainment newsletter.
  10. Call 888-462-4725 to enroll in Neiman Marcus InCircle program.
  11. Activate free Shoprunner membership
  12. Order free supplementary Gold or Green cards for those whose airline or hotel accounts you plan to link to Membership Rewards. The additional card must be open for 90 days before linking is permitted.
  13. Business Platinum cardholders only: enroll in GoGo Preferred Program (in-flight internet access).

Wait till Janaury 1st and purchase another $200 Airline ecerts (USA only)
Print Wikipost

New Platinum Card: To-Do List

Old Jan 23, 2010, 4:10 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by mia
Canadian merchant and Canadian Amex account?
Yes, a Canadian merchant and my card is Canadian. Originally was told they could stop future charges by changing the credit card number. When more charges went through the next AMEX employee said the first one was wrong.

It may be a pain to call in to pay each month, but if you set up auto-pay, your ability to threaten 'fix it or no money' is gone. Merchant knew this and told me too bad, you pay anyway.

Resolved the issue myself, no thank you American Express.

Until this experience, I really thought I was the customer. Now realize the merchant is the customer. I used to swear by AMEX customer service, no more.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold
Is there anyone reading along who understands this issue and can tell me whether it's something that will affect me as a non-Canadian? Again, I'm new to AMEX. I've had good luck with mastercard taking my side in disputes, for the most part...
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:07 pm

Programs: United 1K, AMEX Plat, Priority Club Plat, Starwood Gold
I've never run into this problem of not being able to cancel a pending charge for cell phone/direct tv/etc. If I want to, I just log into the account, and change/delete the credit card info.

I would have to know more about the specific charge that couldn't be cancelled to be able to tell more. Others may have had a different experience.

If this is a major concern, don't set up automatic billing. Just call/log in every month and pay the bill with you credit card and do not give permission for automatic billing.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 8:51 am
Original Poster

If I understand correctly, the poster is not having a technical issue with canceling an automatic payment, but, rather, having a billing dispute with a vendor, and finding that having set up an automatic payment for that vendor has weakened his side in the dispute via AMEX.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by Come Fry With Me
If I understand correctly, the poster is not having a technical issue with canceling an automatic payment, but, rather, having a billing dispute with a vendor, and finding that having set up an automatic payment for that vendor has weakened his side in the dispute via AMEX.
Correct, once set up, auto bill payments remove any chance for a negotiation with the vendor as equals. The vendor knows he can get paid regardless. The cardmember is then not exactly bargaining from a position of strength.

Last edited by drwilliams; Jan 25, 2010 at 10:55 am
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drwilliams
once set up, auto bill payments remove any chance for a negotiation with the vendor as equals. The vendor knows he can get paid regardless. The cardmember is then not exactly bargaining from a position of strength.

....in Canada (I'm American). And this according to one (undoubtedly perfectly sincere and intelligent) poster on the Internet. So I'm hoping for corroboration plus clarification re: the US/Canada diff!
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:29 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by drwilliams
The vendor knows he can get paid regardless.
Regardless of what? It's not at all clear (to me) what you attempted to do. If you told the vendor to end the series of preauthorized charges, and further charges were submitted, American EXpress should allow you to dispute those individual charges. If, however, you tried to change your credit card account number rather than deal with the vendor I am not surprised it did not work.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hertz Plat, HHonnors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriot Rewards Regular, Hyatt Gold, PC Gold
there is much more to register for when you get the platinum card. see link below

http://www.jblackbelt.com/cardbenefi...isterplat.html
Old May 24, 2010, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
Print out a list of airport lounges? What for? It's pretty simple: If you're flying Delta/NW, American, Continental or U.S. Airways, go to one of their lounges with your boarding pass, card, ID. Just remember the 4 airlines.
I recieved one of these upgrade offers; since UA and CO have a reciprocal agreement with their lounges, is Platinum Card membership considered a CO membership when accessing the RCC?
Old May 25, 2010, 5:25 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by abraxis
...Platinum Card membership considered a CO membership when accessing the RCC?
No. The Platinum Card does not give you a membership in any airline club. It merely allows you to enter AA, CO and DL lounges when ticketed on a flight operated by the same carrier.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mia
No. The Platinum Card does not give you a membership in any airline club. It merely allows you to enter AA, CO and DL lounges when ticketed on a flight operated by the same carrier.
Ah, it works like a pass then. Not sure how useful this benefit will be for me since I primarily fly UA. Thx.
Old May 27, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: Delta, American, United, Virgin Atlantic, BA, JetBlue, SW, etc.
Platinum medivac etc.

Trying to decide whether to add son (who has a family gold card for emergencies) to platinum status. He'll be in Africa this summer under some rough conditions. Believe it or not, I cannot find any Am Ex link that specifies the details of the global assist policies.
Old May 27, 2010, 7:52 pm

Below are the links to the Global Assist websites to review the benefits:

https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...e=globalassist
http://amex.tgclientservices.com/
Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:41 pm

100k platinum offer

Just got an offer in the mail for 100,000 membership rewards with 1k spend in 3 mos. Wasn't planning to drop $450 right now, but this is a no-brainer, right?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by jfbruin
Just got an offer in the mail for 100,000 membership rewards with 1k spend in 3 mos. Wasn't planning to drop $450 right now, but this is a no-brainer, right?
Yes, I think that is a very good new account offer. Is it a targeted offer? Do you have a Bonus ID and expiration date that you can post?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.