FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   When Do You Pay Your Amex Charge Card Bill? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1042061-when-do-you-pay-your-amex-charge-card-bill.html)

andrewpartyman Jan 20, 2010 3:31 pm

When Do You Pay Your Amex Charge Card Bill?

I was wondering when people on here pay their AMEX Charge Card (Green, Gold, Platinum, Centurion) bills? When the bill becomes due, AMEX gives you a pay by date two weeks later. However, the account is not past due for 30 days. I recently learned this, and have waited until a couple days before to pay my AMEX bill. Why? Because my 10k + per month I spend on AMEX is better off sitting in my account than being eagerly transmitted to AMEX (interest, higher avg account balance). Am I the only one who delights in waiting up until the wire? I used to pay my bill the day of, but that never seemed to be appreciated.

jammanxc Jan 20, 2010 4:02 pm

you forgot the Zync card is an official charge card as well... I always pay by the amex due date as I do not want to see "30 days late" on my credit report.

kennycrudup Jan 20, 2010 4:32 pm

First thing I do on the day my Platinum statement starts anew is go on-line and find out what my "Closing Date" is for this new period, and that's the day I make sure my payment (for the now-currently-due previous bill) goes in by.

The "Due Date" we see on statements is probably a remnant of the days when people only had checks and the Post Office to get their payments in, to ensure it got to AmEx in the mail soon enough.

flydeu Jan 20, 2010 4:35 pm

Well my German Amex card allegedly allows for 28 days after the statement date..However they are kind enough to grab the cash within a few days of me receiving my statement. I also noticed that recently the month became about 4 days longer! It was odd that this also happened to be when a few extra transactions went through, hence the could grab the cash for them more quickly.

Centurion Jan 20, 2010 4:36 pm

Amex used to have EROC, WROC, etc. You could walk into these Amex buildings the day your statement cycled 5 minutes before 5pm and it would post that day. Then you had another 2-5 days for your check to clear.

Centurion Jan 20, 2010 4:38 pm

Wait who really cares anymore...I do not care if your statement is $100,000.00. I do know anyone getting a more that a couple percent on checking...Other than some teaser promos at 4.5% that limit you to 25k..

kennycrudup Jan 20, 2010 4:45 pm

It's not always about interest, though.

Centurion Jan 20, 2010 5:08 pm

Is it like that Seinfeld episode where Kramer sees how far he can go in the dealer test drive car when the gas indicator shows empty just for the feeling? If so I am guilty of doing the same.

kennycrudup Jan 20, 2010 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 13221421)
... just for the feeling?

Nah, I work for a living :) and would rather wait for a receivable to arrive than pulling money out of my accounts unless necessary.

anaugle Jan 20, 2010 5:50 pm

I have the discontinued fidelity amex platinum. It pays via direct debit from my fidelity account on the same day my account closes (e.g. there's no float once the statement closes). The card offers $75 off of the annual fee -- I figure its essentially a wash vs. money market float.

rolov Jan 20, 2010 8:46 pm

I have gotten emails from Amex saying " Your Payment has not arrived yet" about a week after the listed due date. Im not sure if that is a new thing or not.

Dovster Jan 20, 2010 9:01 pm

I pay the day the first day of each cycle. That way, I don't have to worry about forgetting and winding up forking out $$$ in interest.

tvetter01 Jan 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Mine is just set to auto pay from my checking account. It pays on the stated "due date" each month.

Nicksta Jan 20, 2010 10:30 pm

I noticed that last year my statement said "Please Pay By". Now that I have a "credit limit" on my Platinum card, the statement clearly says "Due Date".

xolinlevh Jan 20, 2010 10:43 pm

Plat: instant i get a statement
Delta Reserve: Instant i get a statement (though not always in full, depending on if ive gotten reimbursed for my charges yet cover paying it)