Old Apr 2, 2013, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: italdesign
Here are the current (April 2013) transfer times as listed on the Membership Rewards website:

Immediate (but please allow up to 48 hours for the transfer to be completed.)
Air Canada
Alitalia
Asia Miles (Apr 2019, Feb 2021 and Aug 2022, previously annotated as "3-7 days but allow 90 days". Discussion of issues HERE)
Avianca
British Airways
Delta
EL AL
Emirates
Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Frontier
Hawaiian
JetBlue

Choice
Hilton
Marriott (Starwood)

1-2 Days
Virgin Atlantic

2-4 Business Days
All Nippon

3 Business Days
Singapore

4 to 7 days
Iberia

14 business days
AeroMexico
Print Wikipost

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: All of them
Aeroplan Transfer Time

2 data points:

1) My MR account > my Aeroplan account: Instant
2) My wife's MR account > my Aeroplan account: ~24 hrs

Both of these were first time transfers. The difference could be in the names being different or in the way I added my AC account info. For 1) I typed in the number of points I wanted to transfer and only added my FF# at the very end. For 2) I first linked my FF account with her MR account, then did the transfer.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:17 pm

FWIW, I transferred 1,000 AMEX MR to SQ as a test yesterday and they are in my SQ account today. Less then 24h.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:53 pm

How long do MR to SQ transfers take?

I am trying to transfer AMEX MR points to Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer.

I spoke with SQ to confirm availability of the flights I want, but I do not have enough SQ miles to book. The SQ rep said that the transfer can take 6-8 weeks. Is this correct? The Amex website says that a transfer usually takes 3 days, but up to 7 days. I don't believe you can hold an SQ flight without enough miles to book.

The issue is there is limited availability for the flights that I need (BOS-MUC). I could transfer miles to Aeroplan, but they charge 40k miles for the flight, versus 27.5k SQ miles for the flight I want. I would be in a bind if I transferred miles to SQ, waited 6-8 weeks, and then the flights were gone.

I would greatly appreciate any insights regarding my situation. Thank you!

(If this matters at all, my AMEX is a US-based gold card. I currently have 0 SQ miles as the account was just opened in order to make this redemption.)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: All of them...
Takes about 24 hours, or just overnight
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by chff
Takes about 24 hours, or just overnight
I sure hope you're right!

I made a transfer of 1,000 miles as a test. Hopefully it posts soon and I can book the flight.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat - Ambassador Managed, VS Gold, Krisflyer Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by will2288
I am trying to transfer AMEX MR points to Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer.

I spoke with SQ to confirm availability of the flights I want, but I do not have enough SQ miles to book. The SQ rep said that the transfer can take 6-8 weeks. Is this correct? The Amex website says that a transfer usually takes 3 days, but up to 7 days. I don't believe you can hold an SQ flight without enough miles to book.

The issue is there is limited availability for the flights that I need (BOS-MUC). I could transfer miles to Aeroplan, but they charge 40k miles for the flight, versus 27.5k SQ miles for the flight I want. I would be in a bind if I transferred miles to SQ, waited 6-8 weeks, and then the flights were gone.

I would greatly appreciate any insights regarding my situation. Thank you!

(If this matters at all, my AMEX is a US-based gold card. I currently have 0 SQ miles as the account was just opened in order to make this redemption.)
Overnight & max is 24 hours. I did it only two weeks ago.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Seshy
Overnight & max is 24 hours. I did it only two weeks ago.
My transfer of 1,000 miles took just under 30 hours.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:15 pm
Suspended

so with no bonus transfer promo and my annual fee due on august 7th, i will just transfer the only 10k amex points i got to probably british airways account or something and than cancel the amex PRG and golg biz acccount. i dont have british airways points but can create an account.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by emptiness
so with no bonus transfer promo and my annual fee due on august 7th, i will just transfer the only 10k amex points i got to probably british airways account or something and than cancel the amex PRG and golg biz acccount. i dont have british airways points but can create an account.
10k might not be worth much with BA, but it depends what you would want and what you could earn later. Maybe a gift card is the best option.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by will2288
10k might not be worth much with BA, but it depends what you would want and what you could earn later. Maybe a gift card is the best option.
BA's actually one of the few programs for which 10k will get you anything. For 9k you can fly RT in coach SFO-LAX (or anything else less than 650 miles each way) on AA.

The other thing about BA, of course, is that getting the miles is pretty easy, between generous credit card signups and MR and UR transfers.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
Time lapse from transfer of MR to Avios?

Quick question - Has anyone had luck with transferring points to Avios and trying to use them quickly (same day?). Can you call BA to make the booking even if you don't see the Avios in your account yet? Trying to book a domestic AA flight on them so need to get it done while I still see milessaaver tickets available.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:44 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Transfers from Membership Rewards (USA) to BA are normally instantaneous, but if either system has a problem it could take up to 48 hours.

Last edited by mia; Jan 7, 2013 at 2:53 pm
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:36 pm

Next day in my experience.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
I made a transfer yesterday and it showed up in the 'recent transactions' section of BA.com within minutes. The 'My Avios' section didn't update as quickly -- that view seems to lag behind but doesn't stop you from using the points.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
As mia said it could take up to 48 hours but in most cases you should have the points within minutes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.