Search

Suggestions for best first AMEX?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Suggestions for best first AMEX?

Hey all,

I'm a new poster here. I am looking to apply for my first AMEX sometime in the near future, because I travel frequently and it offers pretty good travel coverage. Right now my airline of choice is Air France and their FlyingBlue program. Considering this, am I better off getting the Delta Airlines Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, since Delta is a partner of Air France, OR the American Express Preferred Rewards Gold Card and just transfer points over to Air France that way, if it's even possible.

Please let me know your suggestions.

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

If you choose the Delta credit card you will be accumulating miles in two programs, FlyingBlue and Skymiles. While AF and DL are both SkyTeam members their frequent flyer programs are separate and you should decide to accumulate miles in one of the other.

Rather than the Preferred Rewards old Card I would look at the new Premier Rewards Gold Card discussed in this thread...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...gold-card.html

All American Express charge cards (Green, Gold, Platinum or Centurion) participate in Membership Rewards. MR points can be transferred to FlyingBlue miles and to all the airlines listed here...

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...lFreqFlyerProg
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

So upon signing up for the Delta card (which seems to be the one for me, as I'm thinking I'd rather have a credit card than a charge card), I will be given the choice where to accumulate miles, FlyingBlue or SkyMiles?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:25 pm
mia

Originally Posted by HarryLime
So upon signing up for the Delta card ...I will be given the choice where to accumulate...?
No, Delta credit cards earn Delta SkyMiles. These are automatically deposited into your Delta account at the end of each billing cycle and they cannot be transferred to any other program.

Membership Rewards is a separate program. Membership Rewards points accumulate at American Express and can be transferred to the airlines listed in the link in my previous message. It is possible to obtain an American Express Blue credit card linked to Membership Rewards Express, but the points earned in this program cannot be transferred to any airline unless you also have an American Express charge card.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

So assuming I get the Delta SkyMiles card... there is NO transferring them to AirFrance even though they are affiliated? What about once the miles are already sitting in my Delta account?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 9:00 pm
mia

...NO transferring them to Air France ...
Correct. You cannot transfer SkyMiles to any other program. You can redeem them through Delta for travel on any SkyTeam airline, including Air France, but you must have the full amount required for an award in one account, you cannot combine FlyingBlue and SkyMiles to redeem.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Correct. You cannot transfer SkyMiles to any other program. You can redeem them through Delta for travel on any SkyTeam airline, including Air France, but you must have the full amount required for an award in one account, you cannot combine FlyingBlue and SkyMiles to redeem.
Well that's basically what I would be doing, since I don't even have a Delta frequent flyer account yet. As long as I can fly AirFrance with my SkyMiles, one way or another, then I'm set. Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:43 am
mia

As long as I can fly AirFrance with my SkyMiles, one way or another, then I'm set.
When you fly on AirFrance, KLM or any other SkyTeam carrier on a paid ticket I think you will want to credit the flight to SkyMiles, not to FlyingBlue. Otherwise, you will end up with a pile of miles in FlyingBlue and another in SkyMiles. If you are going to fly enough to earn elite status you should also understand the pro and cons of earning status in FlyingBlue versus SkyMiles. These considerations are best discussed in the Air France or Delta sections of Flyertalk.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

I understand. So what do I do with the miles that I already have at FlyingBlue?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:00 pm
mia

...what do I do with the miles that I already have at FlyingBlue?
I think you will receive better advice on this question in the FlyingBlue forum, but how many do you have?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Delta Gold
On your travels do you have a affiliation with Hilton or Starwood property hotels? Hotel affiliation is a good way to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.