Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

U.S. Membership Rewards to British Airways transfer bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Membership Rewards to British Airways transfer bonus

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by S.Bling
I'm pretty sure that even if you hold no OneWorld status, the new seat-selection fees apply only to Y and W, not C or F.
Are you talking about actual fare buckets, or classes-of-service?

Club World award tickets, whether outright redemption or Mileage-for-Upgrade, are not entitled to advanced seat assignments without payment (as of recently) unless you are BAEC or OneWorld elite. It is my single biggest beef with BA.

F is the only class that you are entitled to advance seat selection with no restriction.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Does anyone know how many mile BA requires for LA to Johannesburg in business? Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Are you talking about actual fare buckets, or classes-of-service?

Club World award tickets, whether outright redemption or Mileage-for-Upgrade, are not entitled to advanced seat assignments without payment (as of recently) unless you are BAEC or OneWorld elite. It is my single biggest beef with BA.

F is the only class that you are entitled to advance seat selection with no restriction.
Fare buckets. All flexible tickets, domestic or international, are eligible for free seat-selection, regardless of your lack of BAEC or OneWorld status.

Award tickets obviously are ticketed in X class (or others, depending on the CofS), and you would need to be Silver (or OneWorld equiv.) to select the seat for free, unless you declare special needs or travelling with <2-aged children.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by wripro
Does anyone know how many mile BA requires for LA to Johannesburg in business? Thanks.
180k in Business from any USA point of departure
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, silly me ....

I have an AMEX Optima card, which I've had for years and seldom use. A couple of years ago, a rep convinced me to join Membership Rewards. For one thing, he said, it's free. So I did.

I managed to accumulate just a shade over 1000 points, and this looked like a good opportunity to get 6000 BA miles. so I charged ahead.

This is when I found out there are two Membership rewards programs; Membership Rewards, and Membership Rewards Express. The second one is free, but the first one costs 40 bucks a year. Naturally. I have the Express version. That version does not allow transfers to FF programs.

In all the years I've been around FT, I'm astonished that I was unaware of the two different programs.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
Well, silly me ....

I have an AMEX Optima card, which I've had for years and seldom use. A couple of years ago, a rep convinced me to join Membership Rewards. For one thing, he said, it's free. So I did.

I managed to accumulate just a shade over 1000 points, and this looked like a good opportunity to get 6000 BA miles. so I charged ahead.

This is when I found out there are two Membership rewards programs; Membership Rewards, and Membership Rewards Express. The second one is free, but the first one costs 40 bucks a year. Naturally. I have the Express version. That version does not allow transfers to FF programs.

In all the years I've been around FT, I'm astonished that I was unaware of the two different programs.
well, on the bright side, if you pay the 40 bucks you can transfer your 6,000 BA miles. The cost will be 0.66cents per mile - better than you can do anywhere else on the planet...
Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:42 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BigLar
I found out there are two Membership rewards programs...
Three

Membership Rewards Express - Zync and credit cards
Membership Rewards - Green & Gold charge cards
Membership Rewards First - Platinum & Centurion charge cards

Express was previously called Membership Rewards Options

I think the option to enroll Express cards in the full program for a fee has been eliminated.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:01 pm
Company Representative - Amex

ffI,

In response to your question, the offer is one bonus per Cardmember.

BigLar,

Membership Rewards (vs. MR Express) must be a benefit of your Card product in order for you to enroll in that level of the program. If your Card product includes Membership Rewards Express as a benefit, regrettably we do not offer the option to pay for an upgrade to Membership Rewards – years ago we offered an option to pay for the upgrade, however this policy was discontinued. If you have more than one American Express account and one of your accounts includes Membership Rewards as a benefit you can link your other account(s) to that Membership Rewards account as long as Membership Rewards and/or Membership Rewards Express is a benefit (vs. a cash rebate as a reward) of the other account(s).

Membership Rewards Express no longer offers point transfers to our Hotel and Airline partners or Land and Sea Vacations.

Beth
Amex Customer Care
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you, Beth.

I wasn't complaining (well, we do do a lot of complaining over here ), I was just expressing surprise that I was completely unaware of the different MR products.

Almost all my AMEX spend goes on my Hilton and SPG cards, and I have no problem with them.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:36 pm
Company Representative - Amex

Your welcome BigLar.

No problem - I just wanted to make sure you received accurate information.

Happy New Year and safe travels!

Beth
Amex Customer Care
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:23 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Amex Customer Care
ffI,

In response to your question, the offer is one bonus per Cardmember.
Beth, I have a Platinum card and my wife is an additional card holder on my account. I made a 1,000 point transfer from the single MR account we have to my BA account and an additional 1,000 point transfer from the single MR account we have to her BA account. It seems we both should receive the bonus since I believe we are both "Cardmembers", is that correct?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:00 pm
jdl

Originally Posted by dgwright99
But the T&C also say that you can only transfer to a FF account in your own name - whereas we all know that you can in practice transfer to ANY FF account if you do it online.
How do you transfer online to any FF account? Is there a special page/area for that? When I try to do a transfer, I only see it asking for how many miles I want to transfer, not what FF account # I want to transfer into. I have a linked BA account, but it sounds like you can transfer to any account if you know the FF #? Thanks for instructions.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:06 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jdl
How do you transfer online to any FF account?
Welcome to Flyertalk.

To perform an online transfer it is necessary first to "link" the frequent flyer to your Membership Rewards account. In principle you can only link an account if the frequent flyer member is also a supplementary cardholder on your American Express card account. In practice the American Express software does not check.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The other key Amex condition that should be mentioned is that you can only transfer to a US-based BA account. Is that still correct Beth?

My BA account is based in France, so it seems I cannot participate in this deal.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:13 am
mia

Originally Posted by stimpy
...only transfer to a US-based BA account
Correct.

This offer is available only to American Express® Membership Rewards® program members residing in the US who are members of and have a British Airways Executive Club account with a registered US address.

BA applies the same requirement to other USA-issued credit cards (Chase VISA, Diners Club, Merrill+ VISA). For example...

BA Miles reported on your monthly statement from Chase may not post into your Executive Club account if you change your Executive Club address to one outside of the US

This offer is available only to Diners Club® Cardmembers residing in the US who are members of the British Airways Executive Club and have an Executive Club account with a registered US address.

Last edited by mia; Jan 12, 2010 at 2:44 pm Reason: Add Diners Club language

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.