Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

U.S. Membership Rewards to British Airways transfer bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Membership Rewards to British Airways transfer bonus

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by stevens397
I know there is an existing thread about the fact that exchanges can now be made between MR and BA but to those who don't want to read the whole thing:

The first time you transfer MR points to BA, they will give you a one-time 5,000 point bonus - it doesn't matter if you transfer 1,000 points or 50,000. So this morning, I transferred 1,000 points to BA and when the bonus posts, I'll get a total of 6,000 for my efforts. No - it won't take you far but it seems to good to pass up. Thought I'd pass it on.
Thanks, this is actually very usefull as I'm all of a sudden very interested in BA diue to the 100k miles Chase Visa offer. I'm going to be about 12k miles short of a dream trip (LAX - MLE (maldives)), and this just took care of half of it!

Much appreciated!
Old Dec 20, 2009, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
see post 5
post 5 didn't seem to answer the question very definitively.

Has anyone gotten a confirmed answer from either BA or AMEX on the matter?
Old Dec 20, 2009, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Thanks, this is actually very usefull as I'm all of a sudden very interested in BA diue to the 100k miles Chase Visa offer. I'm going to be about 12k miles short of a dream trip (LAX - MLE (maldives)), and this just took care of half of it!

Much appreciated!
Don't forget that you can buy all the AMEX points you need at 2.5 cents per point. So if you want to book your dream trip ASAP you can buy the missing points for $150!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Is there a link to something that I can print off before I do this transaction? I only see the bonus details come up when I "hover over" the British Airways symbol on the MR website.

Maybe I am being paranoid at this point. MR and DL don't want to stand behind their 20% transfer bonus that they offered for the last transfer that I did, each passing the buck to the other one.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Centurion
hmmm...I would have expected someone to post the fine print by now from Amex. Does anyone know if they will bother charging your account if you only move 1000 miles? (.0006 x1000=60 cents)
Although the question is moot in this case because BA transfers are not subject to excise tax recovery fees I can confirm that AmEx absolutely and unequivocally will charge you the fee for even a 1000 point transfer. Every penny counts.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by awpeters
post 5 didn't seem to answer the question very definitively.

Has anyone gotten a confirmed answer from either BA or AMEX on the matter?
It was kind of straighforward, as far as I can read.

The T&C and the details of the offer also plainly clarify it.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion

Much appreciated!
Keep in mind that Chase pulled the plug on the BA 100k offer a couple of weeks ago.

No word yet on whether they will "grandfather in" those people who applied for the card before they stopped it, or whether you had to have earned the bonus prior to the T&C changing. The fine print does say that they reserve the right to ammend, modify or cancel the promotion at any time - and they did 2 weeks ago...

we'll see how it pans out, but don't book that free C trip just yet...
Old Dec 23, 2009, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by S.Bling
It was kind of straighforward, as far as I can read.

The T&C and the details of the offer also plainly clarify it.
But the T&C also say that you can only transfer to a FF account in your own name - whereas we all know that you can in practice transfer to ANY FF account if you do it online.

So in practice, whether the bonus pays per sending Amex MR account or per receiving BAEC account going to come down to how the IT folks implement it. It seems that there may be at least an outside chance that it will go by BAEC account; if the IT guy looking at the rules it wouldn't make any difference, because the T&C say that the result is the same either way.

I have 6 different BAEC accounts in my household account. I made 6 separate transfers, instead of a single larger transfer. It makes no differernce to me either way - it's all upside. Maybe I get 5k, maybe I get 30k bonus, but I have nothing to lose in mking 6 transfers instead of one.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:57 am
Company Representative - Amex

This offer is one bonus per Cardmember.

The bonus miles are issued by British Airways.

In order to earn the 5,000 bonus miles, you need to be enrolled in the American Express Membership Rewards or Membership Rewards First Program and have a British Airways Executive Club membership number. Members of your British Airways Household account qualify for the bonus as long as they are listed on your American Express account as an Additional Cardholder.

Please keep in mind there are minimum age requirements to add an Additional Cardholder to an American Express account depending on the type of account you have. To add an additional Cardholder to your American Express account, please call the toll free Customer Service number listed on the back of your Card for immediate assistance.

The Excise Tax Offset Fee is charged when transferring Membership Rewards points to a domestic airline partner only, therefore a fee is not assessed on point transfers to British Airways.

I hope this information is helpful.

Beth
Amex Customer Care
Old Dec 31, 2009, 1:09 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Beth,
I am a card holder on my wife's account and I have my own Amex MR account as well. The question here is if I do a 1000 point transfer from my MR to my BA and from her MR to my BA(allowed as I am an authorized card holder on her account), will I get 2 bonuses from BA or only one?

Alternatively, if it is 1 bonus per BA account, can I send 1000 to each of my family members who are on my Amex card and expect to get 5000 bonus in each BA account as a bonus??

Thanks

Originally Posted by Amex Customer Care
This offer is one bonus per Cardmember.

The bonus miles are issued by British Airways.

In order to earn the 5,000 bonus miles, you need to be enrolled in the American Express Membership Rewards or Membership Rewards First Program and have a British Airways Executive Club membership number. Members of your British Airways Household account qualify for the bonus as long as they are listed on your American Express account as an Additional Cardholder.

Please keep in mind there are minimum age requirements to add an Additional Cardholder to an American Express account depending on the type of account you have. To add an additional Cardholder to your American Express account, please call the toll free Customer Service number listed on the back of your Card for immediate assistance.

The Excise Tax Offset Fee is charged when transferring Membership Rewards points to a domestic airline partner only, therefore a fee is not assessed on point transfers to British Airways.

I hope this information is helpful.

Beth
Amex Customer Care
Old Jan 1, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by ffI
Beth,
I am a card holder on my wife's account and I have my own Amex MR account as well. The question here is if I do a 1000 point transfer from my MR to my BA and from her MR to my BA(allowed as I am an authorized card holder on her account), will I get 2 bonuses from BA or only one? ONE

Alternatively, if it is 1 bonus per BA account, can I send 1000 to each of my family members who are on my Amex card and expect to get 5000 bonus in each BA account as a bonus?? Possibly YES, but YMMV

Thanks

Last edited by SingaporeDon; Jan 2, 2010 at 8:24 am
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:09 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
I suppose BA is just gonna do a sweep in Feb and if they see a MR transfer, no matter how many, they will only award one (5000) point bonus.

But I tend to believe that the bonus is actually awarded by MR and that Beth's answer is the "technically correct" answer meaning AMEX approves the points and of course BA will award them.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: delta AA, United, BA Virgin, QR
amex-BA transfer

It would seem that there are great advantages to using Amex miles on BA, they allow booking 350 days out and there seems to be more seats available. Be prepared for a shock however, you can be charged as much as $800 round trip in fees and surcharges for two segments in each direction and $90 (business class) per segment to choose a seat in advance.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:19 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by 3millandmore
$90 (business class) per segment to choose a seat in advance.
Note that this is waived if you hold elite status in BAEC or another OneWorld program.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by mia
Note that this is waived if you hold elite status in BAEC or another OneWorld program.
I'm pretty sure that even if you hold no OneWorld status, the new seat-selection fees apply only to Y and W, not C or F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.