Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Bombardier CRJ-700 / CR7 New Configuration with First Class & Rollout (consolidated)

Old Mar 4, 2016, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Print Wikipost

Bombardier CRJ-700 / CR7 New Configuration with First Class & Rollout (consolidated)

Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave
I believe they are interspersed at bases that already have CRJ pilots. In future, you can tell whether you're scheduled for a "new" CRJ by seeing whether the bird has an F section--if it's all Y, it's not been refurbished.
Two major crew bases for CRJs are ORD and LGA. When you add any plane to any base, you have to add the commensurate number of pilots who fly that particular plane, so those decisions have little to do with where the pilots already are located. Pilots are always changing bases and getting trained and typed on different planes as the need arises.

I thought I had heard that all of the CRJs delivered before the F cabin was instituted had been refitted with F, but maybe not. If not, they will be.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA ex-Plat
i sent an email to seatguru in june or july of last year asking for an updated seat map, and it seems that it is now "current." finally.

also i noticed that the drink tray didn't have sufficient grip on one of my flights, so be careful!
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:15 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Post Index post now updated

I've now added a list of key posts to the OP:

Originally Posted by dstan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

See also the Wiki Planes and Seats page for general information.

12/4/09 - MAH4546 has now reported that the new configuration will be 9F/54Y for refurbished CR7s and 9F/56Y for new CR7s, expected to rollout beginning Apr 2010 - Post #41

3/28/10 - mattinNYC has posted some information on what service to expect in the F cabin - Post #139

4/7/10 - The first converted CRJ (N511AE) is now flying (but not yet in passenger service) - Post #154

4/19/10 - Photos of the new F cabin have been posted - Post #171

4/20/10 - aeo has posted our first report on service in the new CRJ configuration - Post #177

4/23/10 - Information on modified meal service in the converted CRJ has been posted - Post #180

4/26/10 - saprissa13 has posted our second report on the new CRJ configuration - Post #182

4/26/10 - CredenzaQ reports that the F cabin has small overhead bins - Post #184

4/28/10 - For discussion of the seat selection policy for the F cabin during rollout (no longer valid now that rollout is complete), start here - Post #191

5/12/10 - FFMilesJunkie has posted another report on the new CRJ configuration - Post #236

5/18/10 - mattinNYC has posted information on meal service options in the F cabin - Post #247

6/4/10 - 869 has posted another report on the new CRJ configuration - Post #270

6/4/10 - AA has now posted official photos of the new CRJ F cabin: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3615919...7624203442148/

6/10/10 - Hotel_junkie has posted that the overhead bin above seat 1A is locked and not available, while the overhead bins on the CD side may be slightly larger - Post #296

6/22/10 - GotAround has posted another report on the new CRJ configuration - Post #304

1/10/11 - smlsml has posted another report on the new CRJ configuration - Post #373

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:14 pm

Has anyone flown the CRJ on one of the longer runs? Have an upcoming SLC trip and considering taking it out from ORD but at 3h30 seems a bit long even in F to be in that sized jet. Is it still comfortable on that long a flight?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have fown a UA Express CRJ700 from TUL to LAX, its a 3+ hr flght. UA only has BOB meals in first class. It was comfortable, but a real meal would have been nice tho.

Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC
Has anyone flown the CRJ on one of the longer runs? Have an upcoming SLC trip and considering taking it out from ORD but at 3h30 seems a bit long even in F to be in that sized jet. Is it still comfortable on that long a flight?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: AA LFT. PLAT
I fly ORD-SLC-ORD very often. 3HRS 30 Mins is padding of flight times. The actual airtime can go from 2h30 to 3h10 depends on the winds. First is not the best but it beats coach any day. The seats feel like your actually leaning forward, and the windows are misaligned. You have a more personalized service from the FA. You can basically eat whenever you want. Another problem is going all the way back for the bathroom. Coach passengers always go first since they are closer. You will probably be on an old one those aircraft are showing their age.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:48 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Flew this plane last week on a RDU-LGA route in First Class and I was very impressed.

I had seat 1A which had great legroom. The seats are better than the UA CR7 seats, especially the tray tables and the cupholder built into the armrest. I liked the newer style lighting and the small bins above the A seats as well. Service was better than two class UA as well as we received drinks in a real glass, predeparture drinks and nuts (sadly not warm) in a glass as well as hot towels.

My only complaint was that my tray table seemed to have a downward cant to it and at one point while not paying attention, I let my glass slide off it. Overall however, a big ^ to this plane. Well worth the burned sticker.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Eurostar CB
looking forward to trying this out next time i fly eagle... been avoiding eagle mostly due to the lack of service -but since i fly out of LGA alot now, this will improve.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GLD, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club PLT, Hertz PC
I flew today on CR7 from CMH to LGA on the 615am. Burned sticker and sat in 1A. Overall nice....decent seat. PDB offered. This was a cheese/cracker/cookie/crasins and drinks flight due to early departure. All 3 of us that flew First, our bags got tagged with Yellow valet, but carry-on bags got brought out/up among middle/last of pack. Nice idea, no execution. Going back to CMH on Saturday at 8pm...same seat, so maybe i can down a few spirits
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by imajes
looking forward to trying this out next time i fly eagle... been avoiding eagle mostly due to the lack of service -but since i fly out of LGA alot now, this will improve.
Flying AE out of LGA is also inconvenient because accessing the AC requires double security screening (unless you're lucky enough to fly the odd CR7 out of concourse D).
Old Feb 15, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GLD
Flew the MKE-DFW CR7 route this morning. 2:10min Only 4/9 F seats taken. Service was pretty good, and the continental breakfast was interesting. There must not be tray level catering in MKE because the breakfast was yogurt, fruit cocktail, corn flakes, and packaged muffin. The yogurt, fruit, and corn flakes were dished out of larger containers and staged individually by the FA. I actually thought it was an excellent continental breakfast one of the best ones I have had on AA.

The only irritating thing about CR7 F to me is the window alignment. Otherwise very comfortable.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ynewman
As you might expect, 1A is probably the best seat.
I'll be flying one of these for the first time in April. Is 1A best for a solo traveler (of moderate height/girth)? Another poster said to avoid the bulkhead, and I was thinking maybe 2A might have more legroom.

Also, the Bombardier page linked to at the beginning says rollaboards fit in the bin, but an earlier post here says not even a briefcase fit! I'll have a computer backpack that fits in an RJ140 bin. Is it rude to use the bin on the 2-seat side?

Last edited by anabolism; Feb 27, 2011 at 2:31 pm
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by anabolism
I'll be flying one of these for the first time in April. Is 1A best for a solo traveler (of moderate height/girth)? Another poster said to avoid the bulkhead, and I was thinking maybe 2A might have more legroom.
My vote would be for 2A due to the additional storage under the seat in front of you.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
There are no overheads on the A side in first class. I don't think anyone would have the right to be offended if you put something in the bin on the other side.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA-PLT; DL-Silver/AKA "nothing"; Hilton-Diamond;
Don't be a fool. Fly the 777 from ORD>DFW, then connect to the late flight to SLC. Same price ORD-SLC on a CRJ in First and one of the last chances to fly the Flagship Suite domestically. I just love getting on that 777 when they call First and walking past the 40-60 people in the upgrade list...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.