Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Booking an extra seat on for POS (Persons Of Size) or other reasons
American Airlines sells adjacent seats for various reasons; the most common one is for persons of size who can't comfortably occupy a single "Main Cabin" (Economy) seat, though others might consider purchasing an extra seat for comfort or to protect items of exceptionally high value. This seat was referred to by AA as "XTRASEAT" or “EXST”, and this JOHN BROWN
EXST BROWN
is how it will reflect in some documentation. There is no discount for the second seat, which must be purchased in advance; walk up purchases of extra seats will incur full "walk up" fares, if available.

As these can not be booked online, calling will work best; no telephone service charge will be made.

The extra seat does not earn Elite Qualifying or Redeemable miles or earn extra baggage allowances, etc. EQ instruments can only be earned by the individual person occupying a seat on AA (not an empty seat, a "proxy passenger" or animal or inanimate object). In the example above, EXST BROWN will have no AAdvantage earnings.

Extra space during travel Link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
Other reasons for purchasing extra seats would be for allowed musical instruments, objects of high value such as art works, or materials for human transplantation.
Print Wikipost

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Flight44
A serious question: Is it possible to purchase two seats in first/business class?
Yes, we've had someone travel with a case ratchet strapped into the seat in business from Asia on several flights. The whole remove valuable items, well it's impossible, the item in the box is the valuable item, and it's not going in baggage. Too big for the overhead, it gets strapped in, and they sit across the isle from it.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
Has anyone tried to purchase an XTRASEAT since basic economy rolled out? I want to purchase two seats for my mom, and BE is $60 less (each), but I wasn't sure if buying XTRASEAT would still force the system to keep two seats together. I'm not hopeful but wanted to see if there's a data point.

Assuming it will be two main cabin seats, what about if there are no complimentary aisles available at booking time (for non elites)? Will I be successful in 'booking' the middle seat and having reservations block the aisle?
It's a good question, I think you'll need to ask AA what their policy (or practice) is regarding this. It's possibly similar to adults traveling with children -- I believe they may give an advance seat assignment to ensure the child is sitting adjacent to one of the adults on the reservations, possibly in the back of the plane though (or maybe I was reading this about DL). It would make sense to do the same here. Similar question is whether you can request a bassinet, or a bulkhead for medical reasons, on a BE fare. It would seem to me to border on some type of discrimination (putting aside whether customers of size are a protected class) to require one to purchase the higher main cabin fare in order to guarantee two adjacent seats.

Originally Posted by Flight44
A serious question: Is it possible to purchase two seats in first/business class?
Yes, but be prepared for screaming from an EXP in the first few rows of coach who sees an empty seat.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: aa advantage, marriott rewards
Baggage allowed for extra seat / XTRASEAT

DW and I going JFK-STT next month but could not get BC seating.We usually bring 3 checked bags. We bought 3 coach seats instead. For the extra seat do we get the same checked baggage allowance? We have no status with AA and I can't seem to get a definitive answer from AA. Not concerned about the carry on allowance but if anybody knows please advise.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I assume you booked this in the correct way and not just added a dummy name to your booking for the seat / ticket (looking at you 'Mr Cello') because that's could cause issues.

In my experience when people buy an additional seat like this they don't get the baggage allowance as if done properly you only pay the seat costs and not airport fees etc
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I assume you booked this in the correct way and not just added a dummy name to your booking for the seat / ticket (looking at you 'Mr Cello') because that's could cause issues.

In my experience when people buy an additional seat like this they don't get the baggage allowance as if done properly you only pay the seat costs and not airport fees etc
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: aa advantage, marriott rewards

I booked this on the phone with an AA rep. The seat is listed as EXST with my name. The price is the same but the TAXES AND CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES
are $5.00 less. Saving $5 on an airport fee is not quite as good a deal if I have to pay $35 for a 3rd bag. Does everyone not checking a bag get $5 off on the TAXES AND CARRIER-IMPOSED FEE ? If these are the rules I'll abide by them but I would like an explanation of the logic if anyone understands it.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by hornet25
I booked this on the phone with an AA rep. The seat is listed as EXST with my name. The price is the same but the TAXES AND CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES
are $5.00 less. Saving $5 on an airport fee is not quite as good a deal if I have to pay $35 for a 3rd bag. Does everyone not checking a bag get $5 off on the TAXES AND CARRIER-IMPOSED FEE ? If these are the rules I'll abide by them but I would like an explanation of the logic if anyone understands it.
The TSA security fee charged per passenger per one-way trip is $5.60, and since your extra seat isn't an actually occupied by a passenger, there's no reason to charge that tax on it.

If it's exactly $5.00 less, I'm not sure -- could be the same logic with the per-passenger facility fee charged by the airport.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The logic is that the extra seat is a different product from buying a ticket for a actual passenger that allows you extra space and that's it. You don't earn miles on it either or get any other benefits that a real passenger would get.

After the fact now but why didn't you ask the agent when you called about baggage allowance and the extra seat?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
It isn't an A-or-B scenario though. You didn't "choose" $5 taxes vs $35 bag, because there was no third passenger. If you had bought a second reservation/seat instead of an 'extra seat' they would have cancelled it - possibly in advance, possibly when you checked-in for the flight and had no identification for the third seat.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The logic is that the extra seat is a different product from buying a ticket for a actual passenger that allows you extra space and that's it.
Is that what the terms & conditions say?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:57 am
Suspended

UKtravelbear has it right.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not the logic.

AA has it wrong. Doubly so for not making the policy available.

UA has it right.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
When you buy Xtraseats on transatlantic routing, is the fuel surcharge waived along with the taxes? I’ve noticed that the base fares can be very low on these routes, sometimes just a few dollars.
Old May 27, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: Several...
Buying a "comfort" extra seat so that you can ....

have a little bit more space. I'm not talking about the policies of some airlines that require people with larger frames to purchase a second seat. I'm talking about just purchasing a second seat so you can have the space. Who has done this? Have you run into any trouble with gate agents? I was reading this and wondering how frequently you all do this?

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...g-us-airlines/
Old May 27, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Haven't done it on AA and wouldn't do it solo, but on an intra-Europe flight with my wife, buying a row of 3 is potentially a much cheaper (and just as good) alternative to paying for fake business class if we don't want to be crammed into a coach row with a random person after a TATL from the US. I think we've only done it once but it's something I've considered on other occasions. Have generally either been on tickets that included the fake business class, or if buying a single segment intra-Europe, we'll pay the extra $20 for exit row aisle/window, and invariably the middle stays open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.