Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Booking an extra seat on for POS (Persons Of Size) or other reasons
American Airlines sells adjacent seats for various reasons; the most common one is for persons of size who can't comfortably occupy a single "Main Cabin" (Economy) seat, though others might consider purchasing an extra seat for comfort or to protect items of exceptionally high value. This seat was referred to by AA as "XTRASEAT" or “EXST”, and this JOHN BROWN
EXST BROWN
is how it will reflect in some documentation. There is no discount for the second seat, which must be purchased in advance; walk up purchases of extra seats will incur full "walk up" fares, if available.

As these can not be booked online, calling will work best; no telephone service charge will be made.

The extra seat does not earn Elite Qualifying or Redeemable miles or earn extra baggage allowances, etc. EQ instruments can only be earned by the individual person occupying a seat on AA (not an empty seat, a "proxy passenger" or animal or inanimate object). In the example above, EXST BROWN will have no AAdvantage earnings.

Extra space during travel Link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
Other reasons for purchasing extra seats would be for allowed musical instruments, objects of high value such as art works, or materials for human transplantation.
Print Wikipost

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Looking at a flight from FLL to BOS through CLT. Tickets are really cheap, so it is cheaper to buy 2 coach tickets than a business class seat. I figure I don't drink anyways, and since it is a late flight out of CLT it is just a snack service. I am gold, so my chances are slim anyways, but what happens if I do actually get an upgrade? What happens if I get an upgrade on only one leg - do I loose the extra seat on the other, or still keep that one?
Don't click the "request upgrade" box and you won't get upgraded.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Don't click the "request upgrade" box and you won't get upgraded.
That’s probably the easiest course of action.

If OP wanted to try for the upgrade (just for one seat) the reservation would need to be split, which isn’t a great idea, but I would discuss with the phone agent. They can probably cross-reference the two reservations to better ensure you stay together in case of irregular operations.

If you do clear any leg but the last you’d still want to tell the gate agent at boarding - they may have you scan the extra seat boarding pass so subsequent legs don’t get cancelled or they may be able to enter it into the system another way.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Why doesn't AA treat your "extra seat" as a companion for upgrade purposes? You pay the same price for the extra seat as you would for a companion
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I don’t think there are two people involved but 2 seats for the OP so they get extra room - hence the mention of 2 coach seats being cheaper than one business class one.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:11 pm

A gold companion is not getting upgraded unless a very very light load day of travel. In which case buying an empty seat not necessary.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Stranger things have happened,escpecially lately on AA. But flying through a hub and having two tickets on what I assume is the same PNR seems a pipe dream for the upgrade. Your goal, I guess now, is trying to see if 2 MCE seats together are available at T-24.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Why doesn't AA treat your "extra seat" as a companion for upgrade purposes? You pay the same price for the extra seat as you would for a companion
Regardless, AA policy and rules state the extra seat will not earn miles. There is no other person, just a purchase of a seat.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 24, 2018 at 5:21 pm Reason: Typoe
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They could and they might. But it would require the human pax to use stickers if required. Which seems like a waste especially since it’ll be difficult to get adjacent seats. (Not to mention the slim—but positive—chance of both upgrades clearing).
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
They could and they might. But it would require the human pax to use stickers if required. Which seems like a waste especially since it’ll be difficult to get adjacent seats. (Not to mention the slim—but positive—chance of both upgrades clearing).
The second seat doesn't need an upgrade, as the XS is only purchased for space in Y. Up in F, the seat is wider.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yeah, see the point on getting adjacent seats. But, if I'm spending as much as I do for a human companion on the extra seat, and it only costs me stickers (which I currently have 70 of), I'd gladly pay it to ensure no one is next to me up front, too.

Anyway, it's just a hypothetical I had and who knows, maybe it does actually work just like a companion upgrade does.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: Independent
Yeah, see the point on getting adjacent seats. But, if I'm spending as much as I do for a human companion on the extra seat, and it only costs me stickers (which I currently have 70 of), I'd gladly pay it to ensure no one is next to me up front, too.

Anyway, it's just a hypothetical I had and who knows, maybe it does actually work just like a companion upgrade does.
In that situation though, your chances of getting an upgrade because you look to have a companion does decrease, does it not? In my case I don't see as huge a benefit of not having someone next to me in first, as you still have the giant arm rest int eh way and the only thing you gain significantly is a little extra under seat storage.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:00 pm

I'm not a POS, but love the feeling of having an open seat next to me, especially in domestic F. Would I be allowed to purchase an Xtraseat in F? If so, do I just purchase two seats, with the same name? Thanks.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
I'm not a POS, but love the feeling of having an open seat next to me, especially in domestic F. Would I be allowed to purchase an Xtraseat in F? If so, do I just purchase two seats, with the same name? Thanks.
What you do is stated in the Wikipost at the top of the page.

XTRASEAT can be purchased for a variety of reasons, such as POS, transplant cooler, musical instruments, etc. You’ll have to call, as there’s no way to purchase online.
JonNYC, Gino Troian and enpremiere like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Has anyone tried to purchase an XTRASEAT since basic economy rolled out? I want to purchase two seats for my mom, and BE is $60 less (each), but I wasn't sure if buying XTRASEAT would still force the system to keep two seats together. I'm not hopeful but wanted to see if there's a data point.

Assuming it will be two main cabin seats, what about if there are no complimentary aisles available at booking time (for non elites)? Will I be successful in 'booking' the middle seat and having reservations block the aisle?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines
A serious question: Is it possible to purchase two seats in first/business class?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.