Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Booking an extra seat on for POS (Persons Of Size) or other reasons
American Airlines sells adjacent seats for various reasons; the most common one is for persons of size who can't comfortably occupy a single "Main Cabin" (Economy) seat, though others might consider purchasing an extra seat for comfort or to protect items of exceptionally high value. This seat was referred to by AA as "XTRASEAT" or “EXST”, and this JOHN BROWN
EXST BROWN
is how it will reflect in some documentation. There is no discount for the second seat, which must be purchased in advance; walk up purchases of extra seats will incur full "walk up" fares, if available.

As these can not be booked online, calling will work best; no telephone service charge will be made.

The extra seat does not earn Elite Qualifying or Redeemable miles or earn extra baggage allowances, etc. EQ instruments can only be earned by the individual person occupying a seat on AA (not an empty seat, a "proxy passenger" or animal or inanimate object). In the example above, EXST BROWN will have no AAdvantage earnings.

Extra space during travel Link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
Other reasons for purchasing extra seats would be for allowed musical instruments, objects of high value such as art works, or materials for human transplantation.
Print Wikipost

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Wayfarer223
I doubt that they will book an extra seat for passenger size issues in an exit row.
Which is not the only reason to book an extra seat; on the 777, 31H/J with no seatmate is almost as good as J - I could see, if my budget permitted it, I couldn't upgrade, and both seats were available, paying for them.

I can tell you from experience that if you are in an exit row and ask for a seat belt extension they will relocate you.
If so, the rule is either recent or enforced inconsistently, as I've had to travel with someone who did (and I greatly appreciated them having the hard divider between me and them!)

Originally Posted by NWAMileageSlave
Exit rows would defeat the purpose of the extra seat, as American's exit rows tend to have hard sided dividers betweent the seats.
Certainly for those whose problem is not fitting into the seat on the bottom. Even for passengers-of-size, that's not the only way one can be too large to comfortably share space with others in coach. (I've probably told this story to death but the single worst seatmate I've ever had was a guy on a BA flight who must have been in the 6'8"-7' and hardly fat... and who had a terrible sense of entitlement about the space around him. Far more unpleasant than any fat person I've sat next to.)
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
Nothing is said about earning miles on that page
Well I don't think anyone claimed that AA would give miles for the extra seat; the assumption is the opposite. But it's not at all surprising that AA doesn't address the issue at all. There certainly other things that AA seems to neglect spelling out in its public documentation.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
If so, the rule is either recent or enforced inconsistently,
That’s very possible, the only thing airlines seem do consistently is be inconsistent. And thanks to a nice FA on one flight last year I now have my own extension. Interestingly enough there is no rhyme or reason as to when I need one, some times even in F.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
That’s very possible, the only thing airlines seem do consistently is be inconsistent.
Isn't that the truth!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
I doubt that they will book an extra seat for passenger size issues in an exit row. I can tell you from experience that if you are in an exit row and ask for a seat belt extension they will relocate you. I was told that if you can’t use the standard belt you can not be seated in an exit row per FAA regulations.
This has come up before and staff who post here have stated that this is not in fact the case.

Needing an extension does not disqualify you from an exit row seat.

A FA may form the view that someone is not suitable for the exit row but that is not predicated purely on the request for an extension.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: aa advantage, marriott rewards
Extra seat question

I'm a relative newbie to international travel so excuse me if I missed this question in the FAQ's. As an alternative to buying to first class tickets I'm thinking of just staying in coach and buying a third seat so the bride and I won't have to be crunched in on a flight from NYC to Europe. Is this permitted? I'll check with the airline but I'd like to have some knowledge before I call. Thanks.

Last edited by hornet25; Dec 8, 2010 at 9:05 am Reason: SP.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I think, but am not sure, that you can buy that empty seat. I have heard of people buying a seat for a wedding dress or cello. Don't take my word for it, though.

I do suggest you investigate business class. You get quite a bit more room than in Coach, but for a lower fare than First. Crunch the numbers. See if Business Class might work for you.

I have seen Business Class, many times, on my way back to Coach, on international flights. It looks nice.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The answers are at http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...xtra_Seat_(AA)

If not everything is covered there, please update the Wiki entry!
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: aa advantage, marriott rewards
24 minutes to get more accurate info than I could have hoped for. You folks really are the experts. Next time I'll be more diligent in searching for an answer before posting a question.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by hornet25
24 minutes to get more accurate info than I could have hoped for. You folks really are the experts. Next time I'll be more diligent in searching for an answer before posting a question.
Yep, search would have gotten it in far less than 24 minutes
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:51 am

Buying a spare seat

Wondering the cost of buying a spare seat for a LHR-JFK flight.
ie 2 seats for 1 person.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by dave111
ie 2 seats for 1 person.
It's not uncommon, but you need to call AA for the price.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
ie 2 seats for 1 person.
Double the available fare, minus the fees involved for security, immigration, etc.
This, of course, varies depending on what is available.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton diamond, Hyatt Diamond
ie 2 seats for 1 person.
Wouldn't the cost be the same as buying a regular seat? I don't think they give you discounts for "buying an extra" seat for yourself.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dopey!
Wouldn't the cost be the same as buying a regular seat? I don't think they give you discounts for "buying an extra" seat for yourself.
I was wondering the same thing. Why would an airline give you a discount if they can sell it to someone else for the regular price?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.