FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Award: Cathay Pacific / CX availability, etc. (2018-2022 archive) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/990738-aa-award-cathay-pacific-cx-availability-etc-2018-2022-archive.html)

sportsfan1130 Jan 4, 2018 9:26 am

AA Award: Cathay Pacific / CX availability, etc. (2018-2022 archive)

Hi everyone. I booked my leg out on Cathay Pacific using Alaskan Miles going out. Currently looking to book flight back on Cathay using AA miles. Looking to route DPS-HKG-ORD in business. Currently there is only business availability on the flight from HKG to ORD. I have two questions. 1) Can I still book the flight with AA given that only one segment has business availability? 2) If I do book and business later becomes available on the DPS-HKG segment how much more will it cost? Thank you.

andersonCooper Jan 4, 2018 9:35 am

Originally Posted by sportsfan1130 (Post 29249308)
Hi everyone. I booked my leg out on Cathay Pacific using Alaskan Miles going out. Currently looking to book flight back on Cathay using AA miles. Looking to route DPS-HKG-ORD in business. Currently there is only business availability on the flight from HKG to ORD. I have two questions. 1) Can I still book the flight with AA given that only one segment has business availability? 2) If I do book and business later becomes available on the DPS-HKG segment how much more will it cost? Thank you.

You are free to book the HKG-ORD segment. DPS-HKG is an Asia 2 to Asia 2, in business/first it will cost you 22,500 AA miles.

25milesfromhome Jan 4, 2018 10:05 am

You can book accepting a voluntary downgrade on DPS-HKG and change to business if it opens up. I've done this a number of times.

flyingeph12 Jan 4, 2018 10:07 am

If DPS-HKG has availability in economy, you can book DPS-HKG-ORD as a business class award with a voluntary downgrade for the DPS-HKG segment. If business class later becomes available on that segment, you can change without any fees.

no1cub17 Jan 4, 2018 10:28 am

Alternatively maybe keep in mind that J awards are much more plentiful (in my limited experience) from CGK or SIN. Singapore is a fun place for a day or two if you haven't been.

Miami305 Jan 6, 2018 7:35 pm

Availability on BA Avios website, but AAdvantage agent says 0 seats?

I have been using the British Airways Avios website to search for availability on a KA 0943, a Cathay Dragon flight from XIY to HKG (March 30, 2018). It shows as having Economy seats available.
When I called American Airlines, the agent said that they are not seeing any Economy availability for that flight.
I thought that the BA website was a reliable indicator of award availability? Did I make a mistake?

Fly2Where Jan 6, 2018 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Miami305 (Post 29259683)
I have been using the British Airways Avios website to search for availability on a KA 0943, a Cathay Dragon flight from XIY to HKG (March 30, 2018). It shows as having Economy seats available.
When I called American Airlines, the agent said that they are not seeing any Economy availability for that flight.
I thought that the BA website was a reliable indicator of award availability? Did I make a mistake?

I have nothing to do, so I called up AA EXP desk, check for your flight XIY 3:50pm arriving HKG at 7pm on Mar 30 2018, economy for 2 seats. Available on both Economy and Business.
I would suggest try call again.

cesco.g Jan 7, 2018 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Fly2Where (Post 29259713)
I have nothing to do, so I called up AA EXP desk, check for your flight ...

^ Kudos to you, Fly2Where! True FT spirit !!! ^

E55 Jan 7, 2018 11:12 pm

Yeah. This. Can't take the word of only one AA phone rep when it comes to partner award availability. If you see it on BA, definitely call again. MAYBE it really isn't available, but too many times (for me) one rep won't find it and another will... too many times... to just let it go from just one call. I will always call at least one more time if I see it and they don't.

Originally Posted by Fly2Where (Post 29259713)
I have nothing to do, so I called up AA EXP desk, check for your flight XIY 3:50pm arriving HKG at 7pm on Mar 30 2018, economy for 2 seats. Available on both Economy and Business.
I would suggest try call again.

TabTraveller Jan 9, 2018 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by E55 (Post 29263973)
Yeah. This. Can't take the word of only one AA phone rep when it comes to partner award availability. If you see it on BA, definitely call again. MAYBE it really isn't available, but too many times (for me) one rep won't find it and another will... too many times... to just let it go from just one call. I will always call at least one more time if I see it and they don't.

I very frequently come across this with AA and it's deeply frustrating.

Checking on BA.com there is often 100% a seat available on CX in F from HKG-LHR. Despite repeated calls, all AA agents say they can't see it. They all feed me the line about different oneworld partners having different allocations of seats, which is a load of horse manure. If it is Z2 then it is Z2, not Z2 for BA and Z0 for AA. Oddly AA never had award seats available when BA doesn't. Strange that.

jamienbaker Jan 9, 2018 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by TabTraveller (Post 29271270)
I very frequently come across this with AA and it's deeply frustrating.

Checking on BA.com there is often 100% a seat available on CX in F from HKG-LHR. Despite repeated calls, all AA agents say they can't see it. They all feed me the line about different oneworld partners having different allocations of seats, which is a load of horse manure. If it is Z2 then it is Z2, not Z2 for BA and Z0 for AA. Oddly AA never had award seats available when BA doesn't. Strange that.

point of sale may also be an issue. Sometimes switching address to UK will enable agents to see.

A1pax Jan 10, 2018 1:43 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker (Post 29271457)

point of sale may also be an issue. Sometimes switching address to UK will enable agents to see.

Am in the UK and both AA and AS have never been able to see CX availability (I could see same availability in BA, JL, expertflyer etc but neither AA nor AS saw anything!). The standard response has always been different airlines have different allocations for award redemption from a partner airline.

seawolf Jan 12, 2018 11:53 am

I just cancelled a Z on 13 JAN CX 831 (JFK-HKG). Currently shows F2. Good chance it would come back as an award.

newdaybegin Jan 12, 2018 12:20 pm

CDG - HKG - SFO is this a legit route? and how much it would cost for one way? 70K? I try to book a business class one way from Paris, thanks!

FlightNurse Jan 12, 2018 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by newdaybegin (Post 29284880)
CDG - HKG - SFO is this a legit route? and how much it would cost for one way? 70K? I try to book a business class one way from Paris, thanks!

I believe this is 2 award and would be more than 70K