Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Award: Cathay Pacific / CX availability, etc. (2018-2022 archive)

Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Awards: All Cathay Pacific / CX (Including First and Business Class)
Questions, Availability, Discussion

NOTE: Multiple reports starting in June 2021 that CX is allowing only a 24 hour hold and could cancel reservations not being ticketed beyond 24 hours.

Please feel free to use this thread for questions regarding CX Economy, Premium Economy, First and Business Class award redemption using AAdvantage miles, as well as questions regarding award availability, routings and related issues. Please go to the Cathay Pacific Asia Miles Forum to discuss or ask about meals, equipment, service, etc. on CX, as there is an existing wealth of information there - and this is the American Airlines AAdvantage Forum .

AA Flight award chart for oneworld and partner airlines

Other related threads that may be of interest:

FT Discrepancy between CX Award Search and AA availability: Discrepancy between QF and CX award search and AA availability

FT How , When to Select CX Seats on CX Award: How / when to select seat on a Cathay (CX) award / flight (consolidated)

FT Cathay Pacific Experience - Seats / Interline/ Baggage FAQs: Cathay Pacific Experience / Seats / Interline / Baggage FAQs

Also, for Rules about awards, see AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on).

Expert Advice:

Only "MileSAAver" awards apply to oneworld and AA partners.
Premium Economy seats are not available with AAdvantage awards, may be soon as AA sells Premium Economy Feb 2017.

Be aware that what you see on the BA, JL, or QF sites may not be visible to the AA reservations folks. You may want to note the flight on which the F award seat is shown as "available" on those sites and if the AA agent doesn't see any availability suggest that the AA agent check that specific one again. If the AA agent still cannot see it, thank them, hang up, and call back a little later.

Sometimes CX will make flights available for award booking to CX frequent flyers, but not release the seats immediately for other oneworld frequent flyers. Usually though, the seats, if not taken by CX frequent flyers, are released after a while to other OW programs.

Although CX may release seats for award earlier, AA can book them no more than 331 days prior to departure. The awards that CX does release are available as early as 355 days prior to departure for CX and BA frequent fliers, and sometimes that means the awards you want w AA miles will be snatched up prior to the 331 day mark.

*** AA does not have a set schedule to load flights. They can load it anytime after midnight 331 days out. Most of the time it is within a couple to 12 hours of that. Other times, it can be a full day or a day and a half afterwards, especially on the weekends where there's most variability. Unlike JL award space, it is not a specific time of day.

4Keep in mind that when booking eastbound space to North America that it's one day later in HKG so that space usually becomes available 330 days in advance to North America; this is not always true, since CX has already loaded the availability a month prior to AA - it is just up to AA to load and release the seats on SABRE, so it typically ends up being 330 days out, but not necessarily.

Similarly... if you are trying to book westbound, US->HKG->Somewhere then AA may not be able to book the HKG->Somewhere segment 331 days in advance of the US->HKG flight, if it is still 332 days out in HKG. As it is the flights from US->HKG that are hardest to get, if you find a seat US->HKG at the 331 day mark when it is first available for booking through AA but cannot book the continuation, you can just put that US->HKG segment on hold with AA, then call back the next day when connecting flights will be loaded into the system to try to book the onward flight from HKG.

AA does not charge "YQ" surcharges [what they sometimes call "fuel surcharge"] on CX award segments (BA Avios does), thus the taxes and fees on your "free" ticket on CX or KA are almost always significantly less than for the same routing on BA.

There is a Hong Kong Departure Tax (HK) of $120 HKD (approx $15.50 USD) on every segment departing Hong Kong. Exemptions apply. If your ticket includes this tax and you qualify for an exemption, a refund can be applied for either in person at HKIA landside or via post to Civil Aviation Department. AA charges this tax for children under 12 years of age despite the exemption. In order to obtain a cash refund at HKIA, you will need passenger passport, passenger boarding pass, passenger ticket receipt showing the fare calculation line which will show the HK tax being charged. This receipt can be obtained at any AA counter worldwide including HKIA as well as Airport Express in-town check-in (AA check-in). As the AA counter at HKIA operates only during limited hours, Airport Express in-town check-in would be the the convenient option.

Not all CX flights offer First class; CX Business is markedly different on long haul and regionally configured aircraft.

If you're looking for multiple seats in First on a particular flight but can find only some but not all that you're looking for, take what's available in F, then take the rest of the seats you want on J (if available) on the same flight, and check back periodically to see if an F seat has opened up for award. There is no additional charge (in money, although there will be in miles) to change to an award to a higher cabin of service (e.g., J to F, Y to F, Y to J) as long as the award keeps the same origin/destination airports.

Be aware your award must conform to some rules on a) MPM (Maximum Permitted Mileage - your award routing can not exceed 125% of the most direct routing available); a useful tool is Great Circle Mapper.

The Most Significant Carrier (transpacific usually, CX in most of these posts,) must offer a non-"constructed" fare between your origin and destination (you might find an unconstructed fare between DFW and SIN, but might not from Killeen to SIN).

If you can't pick your CX seats online, either due to them being blocked or you just want to call, you need to first get the CX PNR from AAdvantage at 1-800-882-8880. Then call CX at 1-800-233-2742. Some seats that are blocked on CX website are assignable via AA reservations. Close to departure AA can even assign 2A, 2K.

Note: if the Cathay Manage booking tool doesn't appear to recognize your CX PNR, you need to enter your first name AND middle name, separated by a space, in the "First Name" field.

AAward bookings containing CX flights that are put on hold will be restricted to only 24hrs, not the usual 5 days.

Frequently Asked Questions
What are the patterns for west coast routes?
Because LAX has 4 daily flights to HKG, it tends to be the easiest option for blocks of 3 or more J award seats. SFO and YVR only have 2 daily flights and even if 5 award seats were initially released at 355 days prior to departure, some of those may be gone by the time the 331 day mark rolls around. If you need 4 or 5 J award seats on these west coast routes, either use Avios to book at 355 days or consider routing through LAX where there may still be availability at 331 days out.

Can I visit my companion in First Class if I'm in Business Class?
"Up-cabin visits" are not permitted per CX policy, though have been granted under special circumstances. But putting crew in the awkward position of being asked to violate policy is generally frowned upon. Down-cabin visits are permitted ex-USA. However, on flights to the USA, down-cabin visits are not permitted and this rule is vigorously enforced.

Posts made in 2017 may be read in ARCHIVE: 2017 AA Awards in Cathay Pacific / CX, KA...

Posts made in 2016 may be read in ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016).

Posts made in 2015 may be read in ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015).

Posts made in 2014 may be read in ARCHIVE: Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - 2014.

N.B. Older posts have been moved and archived to: Cathay Pacific / CX (inc. First and Business Class) award - ARCHIVED.
Print Wikipost

AA Award: Cathay Pacific / CX availability, etc. (2018-2022 archive)

Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by soartoday
Is it pretty common for intra-asia Cathay Dragon flights to be available on AsiaMiles award but not partner?
Originally Posted by percysmith
Absolutely. There's a 25% conversion promo on for Avios but we're all looking at each other wondering if we should bite given the above happens a lot.
It is also common for the Intra-Asia flights to be unmarried for AsiaMiles redemptions but married for partner redemptions. So, if you are interested in an Intra-Asia flight that connects to another CX flight it would behoove you to search for the complete journey as well as individual segments as you may be able to find partner availability for an Intra-Asia flight when married to another CX flight even when the Intra-Asia flight has no partner availability separately. The Qantas search engine is one of the best to search for this married segment availability.
soartoday likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
It is also common for the Intra-Asia flights to be unmarried for AsiaMiles redemptions but married for partner redemptions. So, if you are interested in an Intra-Asia flight that connects to another CX flight it would behoove you to search for the complete journey as well as individual segments as you may be able to find partner availability for an Intra-Asia flight when married to another CX flight even when the Intra-Asia flight has no partner availability separately. The Qantas search engine is one of the best to search for this married segment availability.
Originally Posted by percysmith
Absolutely. There's a 25% conversion promo on for Avios but we're all looking at each other wondering if we should bite given the above happens a lot.
Thank you both! Just wanted to confirm I didn't search the incorrect way.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
I was about to ask the same question. Has anybody seen an F award departing US in the past several months?
I haven't seen this discussed anywhere else, but I have been looking for close in F space on the US<->HKG routes for at least 6 weeks and have not seen a single seat. (In fact the one seat I did see open happened ~2 months out.) Multiple flights at F4+, plenty at F5 (though not many truly empty cabins).

Seems worth sounding the alarm.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:01 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UnitedConnection
I haven't seen this discussed anywhere else, but I have been looking for close in F space on the US<->HKG routes for at least 6 weeks and have not seen a single seat. (In fact the one seat I did see open happened ~2 months out.) Multiple flights at F4+, plenty at F5 (though not many truly empty cabins).

Seems worth sounding the alarm.
I just ticketed Feb-Mar ORD-HKG-ORD a couple of weeks ago in F (AA award).

As usual, I shopped for inventory on ba.com before calling AA.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by roberto99
I just ticketed Feb-Mar ORD-HKG-ORD a couple of weeks ago in F (AA award).

As usual, I shopped for inventory on ba.com before calling AA.
This is different - I'm referring to close-in space. Historically CX was very reliable in releasing [available F seats less 1] to partner awards ~14 days out on most flights (see wiki). This has definitely changed in the past few months for US<->HKG routes as flights are routinely going out at F4, F5, etc.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by UnitedConnection
This is different - I'm referring to close-in space. Historically CX was very reliable in releasing [available F seats less 1] to partner awards ~14 days out on most flights (see wiki). This has definitely changed in the past few months for US<->HKG routes as flights are routinely going out at F4, F5, etc.
This may still be residual from the Vietnam fare.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
So CX hasn't been releasing close in F since then? I hadn't been following until the past couple months
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I don't follow. If it is F4 F5 12 hours to departure, I don't see how Vietnam fare got to do with it. Incremental revenue is still revenue even if the 1 or 2 sold F seat was on Vietnam fare.

Seems like CX is fundamentally rethinking the model of making last minute F award seats predictably available last minute.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by seawolf
I don't follow. If it is F4 F5 12 hours to departure, I don't see how Vietnam fare got to do with it. Incremental revenue is still revenue even if the 1 or 2 sold F seat was on Vietnam fare.

Seems like CX is fundamentally rethinking the model of making last minute F award seats predictably available last minute.
You're correct that correlation does not mean causation if that's your point. There is clearly some level of behavior change at CX around this fare (just take a took at the appropriate threads).
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: Olympian, no medals (non-elite status :p )
You're correct that correlation does not mean causation if that's your point. There is clearly some level of behavior change at CX around this fare (just take a took at the appropriate threads).
CX has stopped releasing close in F space to the USA. I searched all routes in next couple of weeks, nothing. Been doing so for the past month, space doesn't open up.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by DrDrDr56
CX has stopped releasing close in F space to the USA. I searched all routes in next couple of weeks, nothing. Been doing so for the past month, space doesn't open up.
Have you checked to make sure the space actually exists? The CX F mistake fares from last year have done a number on overall availability
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Ive been watching CX881 LAX-HKG for the past month, and it is F6 for this Wed 7/24, and no availability has opened up. Close in space opening up is done.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by peezondeez
Ive been watching CX881 LAX-HKG for the past month, and it is F6 for this Wed 7/24, and no availability has opened up. Close in space opening up is done.
I concur similar behavior with JFK HKG. No close in despite F4 F5.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: pleb
Has anyone experienced on the BA site where a bunch of J seats will open up for an approaching date, but then after a few minutes all those availabilities disappear? It's happened to me two mornings in a row now, looking at HKG-JFK for Aug 11/12. I've seen 3-5 spots open up suddenly, I'll call AA immediately but when they check the specific flight they don't see anything. I'll refresh BA and none of those award space are available anymore. Glitch?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:08 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by nightkhan
Has anyone experienced on the BA site where a bunch of J seats will open up for an approaching date, but then after a few minutes all those availabilities disappear? It's happened to me two mornings in a row now, looking at HKG-JFK for Aug 11/12. I've seen 3-5 spots open up suddenly, I'll call AA immediately but when they check the specific flight they don't see anything. I'll refresh BA and none of those award space are available anymore. Glitch?
BA phantom?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.