Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Award: Cathay Pacific / CX availability, etc. (2018-2022 archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Awards: All Cathay Pacific / CX (Including First and Business Class)
Questions, Availability, Discussion

NOTE: Multiple reports starting in June 2021 that CX is allowing only a 24 hour hold and could cancel reservations not being ticketed beyond 24 hours.

Please feel free to use this thread for questions regarding CX Economy, Premium Economy, First and Business Class award redemption using AAdvantage miles, as well as questions regarding award availability, routings and related issues. Please go to the Cathay Pacific Asia Miles Forum to discuss or ask about meals, equipment, service, etc. on CX, as there is an existing wealth of information there - and this is the American Airlines AAdvantage Forum .

AA Flight award chart for oneworld® and partner airlines

Other related threads that may be of interest:

FT Discrepancy between CX Award Search and AA availability: Discrepancy between QF and CX award search and AA availability

FT How , When to Select CX Seats on CX Award: How / when to select seat on a Cathay (CX) award / flight (consolidated)

FT Cathay Pacific Experience - Seats / Interline/ Baggage FAQs: Cathay Pacific Experience / Seats / Interline / Baggage FAQs

Also, for Rules about awards, see AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on).

Expert Advice:

Only "MileSAAver" awards apply to oneworld and AA partners.
Premium Economy seats are not available with AAdvantage awards, may be soon as AA sells Premium Economy Feb 2017.

Be aware that what you see on the BA, JL, or QF sites may not be visible to the AA reservations folks. You may want to note the flight on which the F award seat is shown as "available" on those sites and if the AA agent doesn't see any availability suggest that the AA agent check that specific one again. If the AA agent still cannot see it, thank them, hang up, and call back a little later.

Sometimes CX will make flights available for award booking to CX frequent flyers, but not release the seats immediately for other oneworld frequent flyers. Usually though, the seats, if not taken by CX frequent flyers, are released after a while to other OW programs.

Although CX may release seats for award earlier, AA can book them no more than 331 days prior to departure. The awards that CX does release are available as early as 355 days prior to departure for CX and BA frequent fliers, and sometimes that means the awards you want w AA miles will be snatched up prior to the 331 day mark.

*** AA does not have a set schedule to load flights. They can load it anytime after midnight 331 days out. Most of the time it is within a couple to 12 hours of that. Other times, it can be a full day or a day and a half afterwards, especially on the weekends where there's most variability. Unlike JL award space, it is not a specific time of day.

4Keep in mind that when booking eastbound space to North America that it's one day later in HKG so that space usually becomes available 330 days in advance to North America; this is not always true, since CX has already loaded the availability a month prior to AA - it is just up to AA to load and release the seats on SABRE, so it typically ends up being 330 days out, but not necessarily.

Similarly... if you are trying to book westbound, US->HKG->Somewhere then AA may not be able to book the HKG->Somewhere segment 331 days in advance of the US->HKG flight, if it is still 332 days out in HKG. As it is the flights from US->HKG that are hardest to get, if you find a seat US->HKG at the 331 day mark when it is first available for booking through AA but cannot book the continuation, you can just put that US->HKG segment on hold with AA, then call back the next day when connecting flights will be loaded into the system to try to book the onward flight from HKG.

AA does not charge "YQ" surcharges [what they sometimes call "fuel surcharge"] on CX award segments (BA Avios does), thus the taxes and fees on your "free" ticket on CX or KA are almost always significantly less than for the same routing on BA.

There is a Hong Kong Departure Tax (HK) of $120 HKD (approx $15.50 USD) on every segment departing Hong Kong. Exemptions apply. If your ticket includes this tax and you qualify for an exemption, a refund can be applied for either in person at HKIA landside or via post to Civil Aviation Department. AA charges this tax for children under 12 years of age despite the exemption. In order to obtain a cash refund at HKIA, you will need passenger passport, passenger boarding pass, passenger ticket receipt showing the fare calculation line which will show the HK tax being charged. This receipt can be obtained at any AA counter worldwide including HKIA as well as Airport Express in-town check-in (AA check-in). As the AA counter at HKIA operates only during limited hours, Airport Express in-town check-in would be the the convenient option.

Not all CX flights offer First class; CX Business is markedly different on long haul and regionally configured aircraft.

If you're looking for multiple seats in First on a particular flight but can find only some but not all that you're looking for, take what's available in F, then take the rest of the seats you want on J (if available) on the same flight, and check back periodically to see if an F seat has opened up for award. There is no additional charge (in money, although there will be in miles) to change to an award to a higher cabin of service (e.g., J to F, Y to F, Y to J) as long as the award keeps the same origin/destination airports.

Be aware your award must conform to some rules on a) MPM (Maximum Permitted Mileage - your award routing can not exceed 125% of the most direct routing available); a useful tool is Great Circle Mapper.

The Most Significant Carrier (transpacific usually, CX in most of these posts,) must offer a non-"constructed" fare between your origin and destination (you might find an unconstructed fare between DFW and SIN, but might not from Killeen to SIN).

If you can't pick your CX seats online, either due to them being blocked or you just want to call, you need to first get the CX PNR from AAdvantage at 1-800-882-8880. Then call CX at 1-800-233-2742. Some seats that are blocked on CX website are assignable via AA reservations. Close to departure AA can even assign 2A, 2K.

Note: if the Cathay Manage booking tool doesn't appear to recognize your CX PNR, you need to enter your first name AND middle name, separated by a space, in the "First Name" field.

AAward bookings containing CX flights that are put on hold will be restricted to only 24hrs, not the usual 5 days.

Frequently Asked Questions
What are the patterns for west coast routes?
Because LAX has 4 daily flights to HKG, it tends to be the easiest option for blocks of 3 or more J award seats. SFO and YVR only have 2 daily flights and even if 5 award seats were initially released at 355 days prior to departure, some of those may be gone by the time the 331 day mark rolls around. If you need 4 or 5 J award seats on these west coast routes, either use Avios to book at 355 days or consider routing through LAX where there may still be availability at 331 days out.

Can I visit my companion in First Class if I'm in Business Class?
"Up-cabin visits" are not permitted per CX policy, though have been granted under special circumstances. But putting crew in the awkward position of being asked to violate policy is generally frowned upon. Down-cabin visits are permitted ex-USA. However, on flights to the USA, down-cabin visits are not permitted and this rule is vigorously enforced.

Posts made in 2017 may be read in ARCHIVE: 2017 AA Awards in Cathay Pacific / CX, KA...

Posts made in 2016 may be read in ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016).

Posts made in 2015 may be read in ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015).

Posts made in 2014 may be read in ARCHIVE: Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - 2014.

N.B. Older posts have been moved and archived to: Cathay Pacific / CX (inc. First and Business Class) award - ARCHIVED.
Print Wikipost

AA Award: Cathay Pacific / CX availability, etc. (2018-2022 archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:19 pm

thanks dkerr,

Yup, actually there were 2 award on QF30 on Oct 1 and 2 award on QF30 on Oct2 - available yesterday afternoon. I asked my wife if she'd mind travelling separate, but she needs to be back by 1st Oct to return to work 2nd Oct.

In hindsight, should have just taken them first. worst case is i lose a few grand in points to cancel....

Thanks for tip re AwardNexus. I'll give it a shot.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:52 am

Is there a general rule to when inventory on hold goes pack into the system after the hold expires?

I am waiting on a transfer of miles from SPG and have a CX F award on hold through tomorrow night. Assuming the miles do not post in time, any idea when the seat will become bookable again?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Kylash
Is there a general rule to when inventory on hold goes pack into the system after the hold expires?

I am waiting on a transfer of miles from SPG and have a CX F award on hold through tomorrow night. Assuming the miles do not post in time, any idea when the seat will become bookable again?
There's no guarantee that a cancelled award seat will go straight back to award inventory. However if it does, it's usually pretty quick, YMMV.
E55 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
There's no guarantee that a cancelled award seat will go straight back to award inventory. However if it does, it's usually pretty quick, YMMV.
Thanks - that's what I suspected.

Interestingly, I think the actual time period the reservation is held is somewhat ambiguous and often lasts longer then the five days advertised.

I have gone into my AA account on the sixth day after putting a CX award on hold and the reservation still listed as "on request." (ie. put an award on hold Friday morning US time and it was still on hold this morning).
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:27 pm

Not sure if this has been discussed before. It looks like Asiamiles is releasing a lot more J tixs to their own members than to their OW alliances. E.g. looking at HKG-SFO in J and there is plenty of availability between 8/21 and 8/25 on AM website, but none on BA and Qantas.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by pointsifu
Not sure if this has been discussed before. It looks like Asiamiles is releasing a lot more J tixs to their own members than to their OW alliances. E.g. looking at HKG-SFO in J and there is plenty of availability between 8/21 and 8/25 on AM website, but none on BA and Qantas
Have to be careful with how Asia Miles and the MPC programme now treats not only its own members but OneWorld as well.

The 22/6 mileage changes introduced Standard, Choice, and Tailored tiers for redemption. The Standard awards are the basic mileage redemptions. Standard awards seem next to impossible for anyone to get, both for MPC members and other OWs (See the CX Board for a long debate on this). The Choice awards are double the mileage of Standard awards, and Tailored is just plain usury.

Only thing is for OneWorld members, i.e. AA Advantage members only have access to the Standard inventory. The availability you are looking at could all be Choice and Tailored awards not open to AA members, and in any event CX wants stupid amounts of miles to redeem for their own members.

Anecdotally, I recently tried to get a J redemption on CX using my AA mileage the agent informed me that CX rewards had basically dried up.

BA has been restricting access to CX inventory to just a few days out of date of travel for some time. This is because of a high number of fraudulant BA redemptions on CX. Don't know about QF.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
Have to be careful with how Asia Miles and the MPC programme now treats not only its own members but OneWorld as well.

The 22/6 mileage changes introduced Standard, Choice, and Tailored tiers for redemption. The Standard awards are the basic mileage redemptions. Standard awards seem next to impossible for anyone to get, both for MPC members and other OWs (See the CX Board for a long debate on this). The Choice awards are double the mileage of Standard awards, and Tailored is just plain usury.

Only thing is for OneWorld members, i.e. AA Advantage members only have access to the Standard inventory. The availability you are looking at could all be Choice and Tailored awards not open to AA members, and in any event CX wants stupid amounts of miles to redeem for their own members.

Anecdotally, I recently tried to get a J redemption on CX using my AA mileage the agent informed me that CX rewards had basically dried up.

BA has been restricting access to CX inventory to just a few days out of date of travel for some time. This is because of a high number of fraudulant BA redemptions on CX. Don't know about QF.
the ones that I saw are Asiamiles standard award, yet not available on ba or Qantas. Ie, not available to AA.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Kylash

As an anecdote:

I was looking for multiple seats and saw the exact number I wanted for SIN-HKG-SFO using both BA and QF. I called AA to book and they only saw the HKG-SFO flight, so I took it figuring I could call back later during the hold period and add the SIN-HKG segment. Due to married segment logic, I couldn't add that segment - I could see the availability for the segment I wanted when I searched SIN-(HKG-)TPE but not standalone SIN-HKG.

While still within the hold period, I changed my award for travel the following day. Immediately I called back and the agent was able to get the SIN-HKG-SFO flights I wanted on the previous day.

At least in my experience, married segment logic is alive and well and held awards are returned immediately into inventory.

Last edited by work2fly; Aug 7, 2018 at 5:44 am
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by dkerr
Looking at paid ticket inventory on EF is not necessarily a good indicator. But that said Sept 30 looks quite full, Oct 1st is better, and Oct 2nd better still.

CX105..
9/30... J8 C8 D5 I1 W6 R6 E0 Y9 B9 H0 K4 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
10/1... J9 C9 D8 I5 W3 R3 E0 Y7 B4 H0 K1 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
10/2... J9 C9 D9 I7 W8 R8 E4 Y9 B9 H4 K9 M6 L4 V2 S0 N0 Q0 O0

QF30...
9/30... J9 C9 D0 I0 U0 Y9 B9 H9 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0 X0 E0
10/1... J9 C9 D9 I2 U0 Y9 B9 H9 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0 X0 E0
10/2... J9 C9 D9 I7 U1 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0 X0 E0

You might consider AwardNexus to automate a daily scan for award seats (not free, search for trip pass as best value)

Edited to add... there is one business award available on QF30 Oct 2nd. Of course not much good as you need three, but it is an indicator of sorts. You might grab that now and hope more open up.

DAK.

Ok just a quick update - CX opened up a lot of award availability from MEL to HKG (either direct or via SYD or ADL) on J last night. I snagged 3 seats from MEL to HKG for my 1st leg, but still having trouble looking for return flight from HKG to MEL departing 30th Sept or 1st Oct 2018.

Question - if there is no availability in the end, should I just buy a return ticket from HKG to MEL (knowing that eventually i will return to HKG one day), and set the return date for a year's time, look for availability for award redemption from this new "return" date? ie plan my second holiday? haha....

I'm surprised that there is still nothing available (not even Y) from about the 26th Sept all the way to 1st Oct! I wish there was a record of historic availability of these award seats....
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:30 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by dark8
Ok just a quick update - CX opened up a lot of award availability from MEL to HKG (either direct or via SYD or ADL) on J last night. I snagged 3 seats from MEL to HKG for my 1st leg, but still having trouble looking for return flight from HKG to MEL departing 30th Sept or 1st Oct 2018.
Probably limited to end Sep/early Oct, cos my early Jul 19 waitlists aren't clearing
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Anyone else have trouble getting their CX awards actually getting ticketed? I have four itineraries that have been ON REQUEST for at least 2-3 days now. Usually they ticket rather quickly. Have called AA and they say all looks good, just waiting to hear from CX, but something doesn't seem right.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Bonvoy Plat, National EE
I called last night to book a new award ticket and the agent said they were having issues seeing any inventory during the search.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:17 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I was able to book CX award tickets through AA without issue within the past few weeks.
E55 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:22 am

I called AA this morning and there was no issue seeing CX award inventory.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You guys need to pay attention or follow the thread in CX forum that has documented the ongoing issues, including the latest

flight Global issue with booking and online check-in

Latest update: 07 Aug 2018 19:15 HKT (GMT+8)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30056679-post612.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.