Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA MR / mileage run Turnaround issues & questions (consolidated)

AA MR / mileage run Turnaround issues & questions (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 3, 15, 6:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Mileage a Run and Related Turnaround Questions and Discussion

Will I need a visa? How can I find out?

Airlines use IATA TIMATIC to tell them if they will allow you to board. United Aitlines offers free access to TIMATIC here: UA Passport, Visa and Health Requirements.

Will I need to go through immigration formalities?

If the airport is international and offers a transit path, you may be able to access this transit / flight connections path.

Will I have to recover baggage? Can I short check baggage?

If you must pricess immigration, you may well have to recover baggage, process customs and re-check your baggage.

Airlines may deny short- checking baggage even for an apparently good reason presented them.

Is there anything I can do to make turnaround easier?

Fly with carryon baggage only, carry a printed copy of your e-ticket (with ticket numbers) and return boarding pass if you can print it out. Study the particular airport's layout and try to determine answers to immigration, etc. before you arrive. Feel quite free to inquire of airline or official personnel. Be assertive about queues etc. but don't become upset or overbearing; this can engender resistance from some.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 12, 11, 9:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton, Marriott/SPG Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
The name may have changed but it is still sitting there outside the main building ready for business, first and EXP check-in.
The Park Avenue check-in is gone, along with the building it occupied. It has been replaced with Flagship Check-in. It has a different name and building. This is what I was pointing out.
Old Dec 12, 11, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP HH GOLD EY GOLD
Did the MR in Nov, used international connections. No sticker was placed at FL and in fact was stopped at gate lounge and then asked those silly questions, can't recall being asked of where I started my journey today.

It sure helped to have the return BP printed at AC at DFW, by the agent sharing the first name of a famous but short temper tennis player.

LHR is not my fav MR destination, but sometimes you have to play the cards one is dealt :-)
Old Dec 12, 11, 11:58 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
ICTS does the stickering at the gate if you don't get stickered at the checkin-counter (FRA used to do it in the AC. ). Of course, you might not get stickered at all, but UK's paranoia level is High to Severe...
I believe the UK Paranoia level is actually Mandatory Imposed by US Homeland Security on Flights to America : Questioning at Check-in, Random Jet-Bridge Searches, APIS etc. For 90% of Passengers Departing UK there's less hassle than US Domestic Security..ie no ID Checks before Bag Screening.
Old Dec 13, 11, 12:20 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by UncleDude View Post
I believe the UK Paranoia level is actually Mandatory Imposed by US Homeland Security on Flights to America : Questioning at Check-in, Random Jet-Bridge Searches, APIS etc. For 90% of Passengers Departing UK there's less hassle than US Domestic Security..ie no ID Checks before Bag Screening.
Not to go too off-topic but the UK "security" stupidity is also homegrown from the DfT. They're the original Liquid Liars, and much nonsense occurs in the UK away from US departure gates: shoe and belt carnival for some, backscatter nudeoscope with no opt-out permitted. Some of it is US-imposed, but the UK shows a remarkable degree of Idiocy Ingenuity.
Old Dec 13, 11, 7:51 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
and much nonsense occurs in the UK away from US departure gates: shoe and belt carnival for some, backscatter nudeoscope with no opt-out permitted.
My last couple of times through LHR (last month) - no shoes, no belt, no scope. Unlike the US where all were required on the flights. London is a definite improvement over the US in terms of airport security minimalism.

Cheers.
Old Dec 13, 11, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by brp View Post
My last couple of times through LHR (last month) - no shoes, no belt, no scope. Unlike the US where all were required on the flights. London is a definite improvement over the US in terms of airport security minimalism.

Cheers.
They hit me with it all except scope. You must be lucky. I have found LHR the OG of dumb security, dating back as far as I can remember.
Old Dec 13, 11, 8:04 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by gegarrenton View Post
They hit me with it all except scope. You must be lucky. I have found LHR the OG of dumb security, dating back as far as I can remember.
Oh, it's typically been worse. This late-November trip was less intrusive. It's always a fast transit (30-45 minutes from on-the-plane to the lounge on the far side) but more often than not has involved shoes in the past. This time nada, T3->T5 and T5-> T3.

Cheers.
Old Dec 13, 11, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.0MM
Originally Posted by brp View Post
My experience too on December 4 - only additional overhead was having to remove my iPad from my briefcase. In the US I'm allowed to leave the iPad in the bag. After transit from T3 the priority lane for boarding pass and passport check before going upstairs in T5 channeled me to what seemed to be shorter lines for security immediately at the top of the escalators.
Old Dec 13, 11, 10:15 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
"They hit me with it all except scope. You must be lucky. I have found LHR the OG of dumb security, dating back as far as I can remember."

I have to agree on this one. But thinking about it, the folks that man the "security" theater are very low paid staff with high turnover, hence focus and dedication on doing the job well is pretty hard to maintain when you're seeing a non-stop line of people jostling with their belongings to get through. As I always say, you pay peanuts, you will get monkeys.

Last edited by yabadoo; Dec 13, 11 at 10:17 am Reason: Quote
Old Dec 13, 11, 10:34 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by yabadoo View Post
"They hit me with it all except scope. You must be lucky. I have found LHR the OG of dumb security, dating back as far as I can remember."

I have to agree on this one. But thinking about it, the folks that man the "security" theater are very low paid staff with high turnover, hence focus and dedication on doing the job well is pretty hard to maintain when you're seeing a non-stop line of people jostling with their belongings to get through. As I always say, you pay peanuts, you will get monkeys.
There's no need to pay astronomical sums of money when the job should consist only of WTMD, ETP/ETD, and x-ray of bags. Nothing more. The job should be done by airline staff and their pay should be dictated by the airline and the free market.
Old Dec 13, 11, 12:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AAdmirals Club, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
You are going to love the new changes then

As of last month the questioning went up a few notches, they will ask where you started your journey that day and related questions regarding how long it took to get there where the start point is etc. then they move on to details about the purpose of your trip etc. Almost no focus on the old 'did you pack your bags yourself' stuff.
Was through LHR on 12/8 - I stopped for my sticker at the AA counter area that is located just prior to the main T3 shopping/restaurant area and got the new series of questions as reported above.
Old Dec 13, 11, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Perhaps off topic but perhaps not, and this question is part of one I just asked through a post to Newbie lounge. What would an appropriate connection time be in LHR for an AMS --> LHR --> JFK itinerary mid week, late afternoon in February? I believe from reading posts that this would be a T5 to T3 transfer. I'm EXP so I can board early but would like time for a lager or two in AC with me wife before boarding the flight over the pond.
Old Dec 14, 11, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
TGU quick turn??

Is there any detour back to departures in TGU (like GUA) or are you forced to go through immigration? Anyone ever been successful with a quick turn at TGU?
Old Dec 15, 11, 5:26 am

Programs: Former AA EXP; 2M Lifetime PLT member- DL SILVER Medallion
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
Is there any detour back to departures in TGU (like GUA) or are you forced to go through immigration? Anyone ever been successful with a quick turn at TGU?
not sure about the quick turn at TGU airport, but certainly there is a big turn just before landing--- check out this video for the landing approach at TGU on a B 757.... have fun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loyKf...eature=related
Old Dec 30, 11, 4:43 pm

We're looking at a MR for this upcoming June and MGA seems to be the cheapest sameday turn around however after reading this thread we'll either overnight in MGA or same day turn in PTY.

Awesome thread, thanks all who contributed. ^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: