Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA MR / mileage run Turnaround issues & questions (consolidated)

AA MR / mileage run Turnaround issues & questions (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 3, 15, 6:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Mileage a Run and Related Turnaround Questions and Discussion

Will I need a visa? How can I find out?

Airlines use IATA TIMATIC to tell them if they will allow you to board. United Aitlines offers free access to TIMATIC here: UA Passport, Visa and Health Requirements.

Will I need to go through immigration formalities?

If the airport is international and offers a transit path, you may be able to access this transit / flight connections path.

Will I have to recover baggage? Can I short check baggage?

If you must pricess immigration, you may well have to recover baggage, process customs and re-check your baggage.

Airlines may deny short- checking baggage even for an apparently good reason presented them.

Is there anything I can do to make turnaround easier?

Fly with carryon baggage only, carry a printed copy of your e-ticket (with ticket numbers) and return boarding pass if you can print it out. Study the particular airport's layout and try to determine answers to immigration, etc. before you arrive. Feel quite free to inquire of airline or official personnel. Be assertive about queues etc. but don't become upset or overbearing; this can engender resistance from some.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 10, 11, 9:39 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by Davidjhonda View Post
I have a reservation for a DFW-LHR MR on 12/21. Flight arrives at 9:35am and the flight back leaves at 1:30pm. All on AA.

I found some old info for this...but would like an update. (I did a DFW-NRT MR last year and went to international connections and spent the time at the AC).

1-Can I bypass customs and go to International Connections at LHR (like NRT)?
Yes.

2-Which lounges in terminal 3 will I have access to? I'm flying Business and am EXP. Basically, which lounges can I access if I don't go through customs.

The lounge information in the FAQ (where is says "Please check here first" is quite up-to-date and completely answers this.

3-Possible to take a shower in one of the lounges during the layover?

Yes. (Also likely covered in the FAQ lounge information)

4-Is a 4 hour layover doable?

Easily. We did a terminal transfer (T3->T5) with time for a lounge visit with a 1:45 layover.

Again, I searched and found old info for this...but would like an update if anyone's done this recently.
Thanks.
Cheers.
Old Dec 10, 11, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Any potential issues from the "sticker" contract security agents who ask the baggage security questions? (like ICTS at EU locations) Or will they not care?
Old Dec 10, 11, 11:01 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Any potential issues from the "sticker" contract security agents who ask the baggage security questions? (like ICTS at EU locations) Or will they not care?
I would not expect so. Just say that your bags were with you the whole time, packed yourself, yadda yadda. They have no need to know the trip started in the US that same day.

With these folks, I've found that answering the questions before they're asked (by knowing them) is actually appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Dec 10, 11, 11:03 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
ICTS does the stickering at the gate if you don't get stickered at the checkin-counter (FRA used to do it in the AC. ). Of course, you might not get stickered at all, but UK's paranoia level is High to Severe...
Old Dec 10, 11, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK, UA1K
I believe the security agents at the AC in terminal 3 will give you the sticker if you don't already have it, prior to entering the AC or the FL.

It's been a while since I haven't stopped off at Flagship Checkin first, so my firsthand info is a bit dated.
Old Dec 10, 11, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
Maybe it's the same aircraft on both legs and you can comply snooze in the J seat during the turnaround.
Old Dec 10, 11, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by EWR2AUS View Post
I believe the security agents at the AC in terminal 3 will give you the sticker if you don't already have it, prior to entering the AC or the FL.

It's been a while since I haven't stopped off at Flagship Checkin first, so my firsthand info is a bit dated.
It's still the same as of 11/27/2011.
Old Dec 10, 11, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I would not expect so. Just say that your bags were with you the whole time, packed yourself, yadda yadda. They have no need to know the trip started in the US that same day.

With these folks, I've found that answering the questions before they're asked (by knowing them) is actually appreciated.
You are going to love the new changes then

As of last month the questioning went up a few notches, they will ask where you started your journey that day and related questions regarding how long it took to get there where the start point is etc. then they move on to details about the purpose of your trip etc. Almost no focus on the old 'did you pack your bags yourself' stuff.
Old Dec 10, 11, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post

As of last month the questioning went up a few notches, they will ask where you started your journey that day and related questions regarding how long it took to get there where the start point is etc. then they move on to details about the purpose of your trip etc. Almost no focus on the old 'did you pack your bags yourself' stuff.

Wow, that is quite a change. Should make this interesting for those of us who do same-day quick-turn MRs to Europe this winter. Luckily, I am using FRA as my turnaround point, and the ICTS folks doing the security interviews on behalf of AA at FRA are VERY used to MRers there--at least, they used to be.
Old Dec 10, 11, 2:34 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We were through there two weeks ago and just had the standard questions. We'll be there again in a couple of weeks. If they have new questions, I'll learn those and answer before they ask again

Cheers.
Old Dec 10, 11, 2:46 pm

We were through there two weeks ago and just had the standard questions. We'll be there again in a couple of weeks. If they have new questions, I'll learn those and answer before they ask again
Did you go through the questions in the Park Avenue check-in or elsewhere?

The new style is more open questions rather than the old closed , yes/no approach.

I got bored with the new style on the 2nd run through and told him to turn over the passport then decide if there were any more questions needed.The back has so many stickers on it you can't even see the passport now. The questions ended abruptly and I got a new sticker for my collection
Old Dec 10, 11, 4:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton, Marriott/SPG Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Side note, but Park Avenue check-in closed some time ago, and has since been "replaced" by Flagship Check-in (Zone H, IIRC).
Old Dec 10, 11, 5:27 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was at the gate since we were in transit from ABZ (Aberdeen).

Cheers.
Old Dec 10, 11, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave View Post
Side note, but Park Avenue check-in closed some time ago, and has since been "replaced" by Flagship Check-in (Zone H, IIRC).
The name may have changed but it is still sitting there outside the main building ready for business, first and EXP check-in.
Old Dec 10, 11, 8:10 pm

This was at the gate since we were in transit from ABZ (Aberdeen).
That's why then, they don't seem to have changed the procedure there yet, but if you check-in outside then expect a more detailed questioning.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: