Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA MR / mileage run Turnaround issues & questions (consolidated)

AA MR / mileage run Turnaround issues & questions (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 3, 15, 6:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Mileage a Run and Related Turnaround Questions and Discussion

Will I need a visa? How can I find out?

Airlines use IATA TIMATIC to tell them if they will allow you to board. United Aitlines offers free access to TIMATIC here: UA Passport, Visa and Health Requirements.

Will I need to go through immigration formalities?

If the airport is international and offers a transit path, you may be able to access this transit / flight connections path.

Will I have to recover baggage? Can I short check baggage?

If you must pricess immigration, you may well have to recover baggage, process customs and re-check your baggage.

Airlines may deny short- checking baggage even for an apparently good reason presented them.

Is there anything I can do to make turnaround easier?

Fly with carryon baggage only, carry a printed copy of your e-ticket (with ticket numbers) and return boarding pass if you can print it out. Study the particular airport's layout and try to determine answers to immigration, etc. before you arrive. Feel quite free to inquire of airline or official personnel. Be assertive about queues etc. but don't become upset or overbearing; this can engender resistance from some.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 25, 15, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
The visa fee is a reciprocity fee, pure and simple, charged by Argentina and Brasil (Canadians pay $65, Australians $35 in reciprocity fees). Many South American countries have agreements with the USA now waiving fees (e.g. Chile, which used to have a $160 fee).
The big difference between Brazil and Argentina is that Brazil requires that you either go to a consulate or send your passport off with pictures and forms and can take a while, Argentina is an easy on-line application and payment where you print your own form to take with you.

In my opinion, for a mileage run Santiago is easiest, followed by Buenos Aires.
Old Jul 25, 15, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TWAL10114Ever View Post
Thanks for all the info guys! Is Brazil unique in that you need a Visa or not? I'm just trying to find mileage runs affordable where I don't have to stay overnight.
Many other countries require a visa or entry fee as well. It is recommended you look into entry requirements before booking international trips.
Old Jul 27, 15, 8:34 am

Programs: *wood P, *alliance UA MM, AA Au (0.95MM)
On the other hand, Rio is one of the cities worth spending than a 12 hour layover!
Old Jul 27, 15, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by TWAL10114Ever View Post
So I'm a newbie to this International stuff. Been an EXP for a few years just flying domestic, but my travels this year won't re-qualify me for EXP next year without some mileage runs. So I have a ticket on hold - DFW-MIA-GIG-MIA-DFW for a good price. My question is, since I'll be in Rio less than 12 hours, will they give me a hard time at customs? Obviously I'll only have carry on bags. I know people do these mileage runs to foreign countries and come back on the same plane, but I didn't know if they give you trouble at customs. Please advise.
Great mile run. Need visa - depending on your location, can be as much as 3-4 weeks for your visa. Expediting services can help, but not by much.

As far as AA issuing a boarding pass, no visa, no boarding pass (from a conversation at the EXP check-in desk at JFK). My visa is in my expired passport. I forgot it, and the agent said, fortunately you don't live that far, but for me to issue the BP, I need to see your visa.

Immigration at GIG from experience has been very easy for me - even with quite a bit of checked luggage, we're in our car service usually 45 minutes after landing.

The location of GIG will allow you good sightseeing opportunities in that 10 hours plus or minus. Rio is too much fun for a daytrip however - consider staying the night..... or the weekend !
Old Jul 30, 15, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP-6MM; Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Turnaround time at ICN

Not sure whether to post in MR, Korea or here... Flying DFW/ICN AA 281/280 with a 3:15pm arrival and 5:15pm departure. Does one need to go through customs/immigration or just transfers and security? Will have my return boarding pass in hand when leaving Dallas. Thanks for your reply in advance.
Old Jul 30, 15, 8:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
No need to go through customs and immigration. As you deplane look for the transfer signs to the gates in your own terminal . You should be back on the departure concourse within 10 minutes. But remember, look for the transfer desk for your own terminal not the other main terminal.
Old Jul 30, 15, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Hyatt DSC, HHonors/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT
Did this MR recently. Skun is right. I recommend the Asiana Business Lounge if you have Priority Pass in the main terminal.
Old Jul 31, 15, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Make sure you have BP or copy of your e-ticket/itinerary for the return journey as the security people will want to see it before letting you go through for transfer.

You can get your return boarding pass in DFW before boarding the flight to ICN since the return will be under 24 hours.
Old Aug 3, 15, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy View Post
Did this MR recently. Skun is right. I recommend the Asiana Business Lounge if you have Priority Pass in the main terminal.
The "official" AA lounge is Korean Air and it is pretty bad. VERY poor alcohol selection and for the hour I was in it last week food service was the bare minimum and kept on running out.

There is a OneWorld lounge for CX so as an EXP it is also available and closer to the AA departure gate
Old Aug 3, 15, 10:31 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Should be a breeze transferring. There's signs for international transfers upon arrivals.
Old Aug 3, 15, 10:47 am

Programs: Amex Plat, UA, AA ExPlat, AS, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred, Marriott, Priority Pass
I have done this MR twice. Love it. Very easy. ICN is a great airport. You do have to go through a TSA-like to go upstairs to the departure level. BUT it was very simple. I plan to keep SEA DFW ICN DFW SEA as my "go to" MR route. Enjoy your MR.
Old Aug 3, 15, 12:05 pm

Programs: Free agent for now....
I'm thinking about doing this same MR.... Do US citizens need a visa??
Old Aug 3, 15, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by FlyingLaw View Post
I'm thinking about doing this same MR.... Do US citizens need a visa??
No.

From the US State Department website (same verbiage is on South Korea's government website):

"U.S. citizens can enter the Republic of Korea without a visa for a stay of 90 days or less for tourism or temporary business purposes."
Old Aug 3, 15, 3:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Curated, consolidated and set free in the Combined forum with trailing link. /Moderator
Old Dec 18, 16, 9:17 am

I've searched around but the last info I could find on this is from March 2016. Just want to look if anything has changed before I book.

Planning to do a turnaround in SAL (San Salvador) without going through immigration/customs. Is this still possible?

Basically, I'll arrive in the morning, spend 5 hours in the transit area and go back on a different flight. Any advice regarding this?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: