Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Club History and Background

Background

The Admirals Club was the first of the airline VIP clubs. In 1936, the commercial aviation industry had few strong supporters and American Airlines Chairman C.R. Smith (1934-1968) wanted to recognize them (and recruit them as advocates of air transport). He began naming honored passengers and friends of the airline by coining the term "Admirals" in keeping with the designation of the airline's planes as the "Flagship Fleet."

"Admirals of the Flagship Fleet" were presented with nicely printed certificates attesting to their status (in keeping with the "Kentucky Colonels" who never were) framed and ready to be proudly displayed on one's office or Board Room wall.

(The AA fleet was named "the Flagship Fleet" early on, in a nautical theme that carried over to the uniforms pilots now wore and their rank - Captain and First Officer, aided in those days by an Engineer, Radio Man, Navigator as necessary. When the low wing twin engine all metal monocoque DC-3 came online, it was named the "Flagship" aircraft (Flagship Detroit at the C. R. Smith Museum is an example), and on the ground each Flagship flew a four star "Admirals' Pennant" from the starboard cockpit window.)

New York - La Guardia Field opened in the 1930s and AA was a prominent early tenant, relocating its hangars and offices from Chicago. (Pan American became the tenant at the Marine Air Terminal, and TWA was also a main tenant.)

Original American Airlines Admirals Club History, removed from the AA pages since the US Airways reverse takeover:

"In 1939, American decided Admirals deserved a special place to relax before or after a flight. The original Admirals Club shared a space in the just-opened New York LaGuardia Airport with Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia. Press criticism of the mayor's large, well-equipped offices had prompted him to offer to rent out the space. American Airlines representative Red Mosier immediately accepted the offer and the private airport club was born. Ironically, when the papers were drawn up for the club's liquor license, a judge refused to grant the name "Admirals Club" on the grounds the public might think it was a facility for Navy admirals only. So the club was initially called the "Flagship Club" until the legal hurdles were overcome.

In the early years, membership in the club was solely at the discretion of the airline's sales people. Memberships were given to frequent fliers or VIPs. In keeping with the nautical theme, the club's receptionists were called "skippers" and bartenders were called "stewards."

The airline's second club was at Washington's National Airport and opened with the airport in 1939. Located in a "dry" area, the club was prohibited from selling alcoholic beverages. For a nominal fee, however, the club stored bottles for its members. When the Virginia liquor law changed in 1970, so did this club policy. At one point, the club had more than 9,000 bottles stored. Many bore the names of powerful U.S. politicians.

A change in Admirals Club membership eligibility was made in 1967 when American established an open policy of accepting dues-paying members – a policy that remains in effect today.
Paid airline lounge Club membership came about after the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was enacted. Admirals Club was somewhat like CK in that membership was granted by sales personnel to AA to VIPs who were generally influencers of air travel (legislators, corporate heavyweights, etc.) and sparse of people of color, etc. US airlines established a paid membership system any member of the public was able to purchase, choosing not to change to a scheme more commonly used abroad wherein class of service is an admission criterion regardless of domestic or international routing.

The dues in 1967 were $25 per year, or $250 for a lifetime membership. Almost all Admirals at the time decided to pay the fees and retain their memberships.

Today, all persons 18 and over can purchase an Admirals Club membership. Pricing for Admirals Club memberships is based on the customer's tier level in the American AAdvantage membership program. Pricing ranges from $450 or 60,000 AAdvantage miles annually for a new Executive Platinum membership, to $550 or 85,000 miles annually for a regular membership. Membership is also provided to holders of the Citi/AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard ($450 annual fee). One-day passes are available for $59 each.

The clubs were designed to simply provide a quiet haven away from the clamor of the airport terminal. Today they also offer flight information for American and American Eagle as well as a host of amenities that significantly differentiate the travel experience. There are now over 40 Admirals Clubs at 36 airports in the American Airlines system. These include(d) Atlanta; Austin; Bogotá; Boston; Buenos Aires; Caracas; Chicago O'Hare; Dallas/Fort Worth; Denver; Honolulu; Kansas City; London-Heathrow; Los Angeles International; Mexico City; Miami; Nashville; New York-Kennedy; New York-LaGuardia; Newark; Orange County (Calif.); Panama City (Panama); Paris; Philadelphia; Raleigh-Durham; Rio De Janeiro; São Paulo; San Diego; San Francisco; San Juan (P.R.); Santiago, Chile; Santo Domingo; St. Louis; Tokyo Narita; Toronto; Washington D.C.-Dulles; and Washington, D.C.-Reagan. <extract> "

Link to archive

Unfortunately, the new American has deleted its online Official Admirals Club history page at: https://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corp...alshistory.jsp

Link (now not working) to Point Me to the Plane brief article and AA photos at early LGA

Link to PDF history of New York - LaGuardia International Airport (NYC Aviation)

The 01 Aug 2009 American Way in flight magazine had an article by then-CEO Gerard Arpey on Admirals Club history in the Vantage Point column. You can read an online version of the August 1, 2009 American Way magazine article here (not working) or see post #3.

Print Wikipost

Admirals Club History, Logo, Name

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
And the new logo does incoroprate the Admirals Club Star. Haven't noticed? See if you can figure it out!
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for the correction! That's the great thing about FT; someone with the knowledge will be able to correct / guide / provide information.

Originally Posted by Djokison
Wow, thanks for that JDiver. Was an interesting read.

Also, the larger MIA club is the one at D30.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Admirals Club History

Friend was talking about the clubs during the heyday of the 1990's and I wondered about what they were like in terms of amenities (e.g. Food and beverage, showers, etc), compared to today's typical clubs? Also, I cant recall the advent of the Flagship Lounges, when did those emerge? My recollection of the Flagship lounges in the early 2000's was that they had many more F + B offerings and amenities than what is on offer today but perhaps my memory is getting the best. Appreciate any historical information!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Not relating directly to the OP's question (which I would love to hear about, too), but why is it the "Admirals Club"? An airline isn't the Navy. Sometimes, as an old timer, I slip up and say "Ambassadors Club" after the TWA offering. I think this, or something else, would be a better name for an AIRLINE lounge system.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Some info here.

The whole thread is interesting...
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Thanks! Good historical information, but, maybe, with the merger it's time for a change.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by relangford
Not relating directly to the OP's question (which I would love to hear about, too), but why is it the "Admirals Club"? An airline isn't the Navy.
AA has always had a nautically themed branding. "Flagship" service/lounges. "Luxury Liners." The nautical Admiral's pennants on the DC-3s. I believe that AA used to refer to its frequent fliers as "Admirals of the Sky" (circa 1930s) - hence naming the lounge the "Admirals Club." Initially when the first lounge was opened in LaGuardia it was invite-only for the exclusive use of these "Admirals."

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I remember going to the Admiral's Clubs in SJU and BOS in the 80s. They were simple -- just a place to hang out and maybe have a Diet Coke or coffee prior to a flight. They were also small, and the Aangels were almost always the same, so they recognized even a semi-regular kid like me (I traveled during long weekends and school holidays). I don't remember much of anything on offer other than maybe pretzels. Back then, this was where you could buy sticker upgrades, if you wanted them.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:32 pm

They named it the "Admiral's Club" in the 1950s so the Soviets wouldn't know where our admirals really hung out.
Old May 1, 2014, 12:14 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by JohnnyUMF
Friend was talking about the clubs during the heyday of the 1990's and I wondered about what they were like in terms of amenities (e.g. Food and beverage, showers, etc), compared to today's typical clubs? Also, I cant recall the advent of the Flagship Lounges, when did those emerge? My recollection of the Flagship lounges in the early 2000's was that they had many more F + B offerings and amenities than what is on offer today but perhaps my memory is getting the best. Appreciate any historical information!
DFW used to have a FL lounge adjacent to an AC (D I think). It was very nice and there were large showers. I still have a scar on my rear end from a heated towel rack (a story for elsewhere) given the adequate size for two people.

MIA also used to have a small but very nice FL lounge.
Old May 1, 2014, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
AA has always had a nautically themed branding. "Flagship" service/lounges. "Luxury Liners." The nautical Admiral's pennants on the DC-3s. I believe that AA used to refer to its frequent fliers as "Admirals of the Sky" (circa 1930s) - hence naming the lounge the "Admirals Club." Initially when the first lounge was opened in LaGuardia it was invite-only for the exclusive use of these "Admirals."

-FlyerBeek
That's all correct. The original Flagship Club (as stated by AA, the judge would not grant a liquor license to the "Admirals Club" because he felt the name was misleading) was actually a piece of Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia's office rented to AA, after he was criticized for having such grand offices. Some feel C. R. Smith and his station chief were quite clever opening this pleasant place where VIPs like LaGuardia could relax before a flight - VIP meaning to include those who were in positions to advocate for AA in terms of mail contracts, airways, etc. and public influence.

The fact the second location, which included a "bottle club" (these were ubiquitous at one time in "dry" locations, such as pre-1970 Virginia) where the only liquor that could be served was that owned by "members" and stored by the management - one could buy "setups" for mixed drinks*), where many US legislators stored their hooch and were presumably impressed by AA, was at Washington National - DCA.

Members in those days received elaborate certificates enrolling them as Admirals of the Flagship Fleet.

<dead link removed>

In 1967, the Admirals Club became a paid membership organization. It's probably not a coincidence that this occurred soon after the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed and many "membership by invitation" organizations were seen as at least de facto discriminating against women, Jewish people, Black Americans, etc. (I'm not much of a believer in coincidence.) Perhaps the most shortsighted move I never made: $250 bought one a lifetime membership!

*San Antonio was such a place. We'd buy wine or liquor, bring it with us - the Menger Hotel (where we stayed) restaurant enrolled us as members pro forma as guests, stored our alcohol, sold us setups and served us our liquor or wine.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 6, 2018 at 11:23 am
Old May 1, 2014, 12:57 am

Thanks! Good historical information, but, maybe, with the merger it's time for a change.
Why? Companies that discard good branding do themselves a disservice.
Old May 1, 2014, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
DFW used to have a FL lounge adjacent to an AC (D I think). It was very nice and there were large showers. I still have a scar on my rear end from a heated towel rack (a story for elsewhere) given the adequate size for two people.

MIA also used to have a small but very nice FL lounge.
These still existed until recently within the DFW-A Club. They used to be the Flagship Lounge and the Arrivals Lounge. They were still there until the 2018refurbishment, and some nice reminiscences could be had. As you exit the lift in the Club, the doors are directly left and right of you, same wall as the lift.

Those of us who know never bother with any other Club if we want a shower - whilst "D" showers may have a queue at times, "A" usually don’t, and the spacious rain showers are the best! You could (theoretically) accommodated more than two. There was also a small, adjacent exercise room to boot.)

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 6, 2018 at 11:25 am
Old May 1, 2014, 1:24 am

Not relating directly to the OP's question (which I would love to hear about, too), but why is it the "Admirals Club"? An airline isn't the Navy. Sometimes, as an old timer, I slip up and say "Ambassadors Club" after the TWA offering. I think this, or something else, would be a better name for an AIRLINE lounge system.
Naval traditions were valued (the US Army Air Corps was a bit late, and it only spun off to become the US Air Force after WWII). Naval aviators were also considered the best and had skills needed in the early days of aviation - navigation and the use of sextants, for instance. (Ask a naval aviator today - they'll insist that hasn't changed .)

By necessity and tradition, airlines salted their terminology and sales talk with naval talk. Early long haul aircraft were usually "Flying Boat" seaplanes. Aft, forward, port and starboard*, bulkhead; the Captain, First Officer, Purser, Steward, Stewardess are all of nautical origin. Pan Am particularly, but for a time, Delta too, preferred Navy trained aviators (with old PA at least it's understandable given PA long haul aircraft were all seaplanes), as well as preferentially hiring married men. (Some airlines even asked questions about wine matching on some personnel tests, patently ridiculous, but this was before the day of "BFOQs" - Bona Fide Occupational Qualifications - became the order of the day.)

(I've visit the old PA base at Midway Island, where passengers overnighted in lodging brought piecemeal from the mainland, assembled on site and provided with solar heated hot water, etc. while the Clippers were serviced. Very impressive, for the day.)

Having an old geezer like me around sometimes has its AAdvantages, as I actually remember some of this stuff, and I had friends who flew for PA, PANAGRA, CP, AOA, etc. ) ¡Hola! from Barcelona.

* Port and starboard sides date back to the Norse (Viking) custom of having the stýri borð at the stern of the ship for easier control, and as most men were right handed the stýri borð was on the right side aft. In Old English, the steering board (stēorbord) or steering oar was the same. To prevent breakage the left side was the side the ship that was tied to the dock for loading and unloading (particularly after the term “larboard” was discarded, probably due to the confusion generated when an order was shouted in battle or storm conditions and “larboard” was too close to “starboard”). Note that with a very few exceptions (the early DC-3 and DST aircraft) aircraft still loaded from the port side, and airports are designed to serve aircraft with jetways, etc. to the port hatches.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 6, 2018 at 12:05 pm
Old May 1, 2014, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Why? Companies that discard good branding do themselves a disservice.
Kind of reminds me of Coca Cola coming out with New Coke.
Right.. you have the number 1 selling soft drink and the world and you think you should change the taste...........LOL
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.