Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:38 pm

Got a question in regards to baggage lost/delay.

My parents flew from DFW to SFO on 9/16/17 and when they got to the baggage claim belt, they could not locate the bag. When the baggage agent checked the tags, apparently the bag did arrive and offloaded in SFO to the claim area. Well obviously they could not find it and I definitely suspect that it was stolen off the carousel.

What was weird was that the next day, they got a call saying that the bag was found and is ready to be picked up at SFO or they can arrange for delivery. They opted for pick up, but when they got to the airport the agent said the bag is not there (couldn't find) and was actually in LAX (???). He said that it was going to be shipped from LAX to SFO and my parents were told to wait for a few hours. Well nothing ever came out of that since then.

I have talked to the same agent yesterday and he claims that he never said anything about LAX and blamed my parents for their "poor english" which was a bunch of BS as there were four people (parents + two friends) that heard the same thing about LAX. As of now, the bag tag still shows "off loaded in SFO on 9/16".

I find it very odd that they called them about finding the bag and then not having it when they went to pick up. I honestly think it was stolen off the carousel. But besides the point, the bag (almost brand new B&R baseline :cry contained a lot of expensive clothes that were purchased outside of the US. They told us that if the bag was found, we will have compensation for "reasonable expenses". Well my parents are going to fly out next Monday back to Asia, so I am wondering how much their "reasonable expenses" really is and if they will reimburse them for a new bag to fly on Monday.

Sorry for the long post.. Thanks for the help in advance!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Has anyone had success having damage repaired if it wasn't spotted and reported at the airport? I didn't even notice until tonight, 27 hours after landing yesterday evening, and I accept that responsibility (we were too mentally exhausted after moving my FIL into a memory care facility, not that the circumstances change AA's liability). I called as soon as I saw, and the platinum desk agent did open the report for me and told me to call a central baggage number in the morning. I figured since I had FT open, I would gauge what my chances are.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Platinum Elite, United, Delta, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Platinum Elite,
Angry American Airlines brutalizes luggage

I have been traveling every week from LAX on American and I am constantly amazed at how brutal the luggage handlers have become. I travel with Samsonite Poly-carbonate luggage that is supposed to be virtually indestructible but leave it to American Airlines to prove that wrong! Not only have that scratched and scuffed the heck out of my bags, but they have broken the zipper handles completely off and (the best part!) collapsed the corner and cracked the poly-carbonate itself! When I went to American to complain, they offered no assistance other than a blank stare. What do you have to do to ensure that you belongings aren't destroyed?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I was going to suggest carrying on your luggage but then noticed your other thread....
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Drlamarca
I have been traveling every week from LAX on American and I am constantly amazed at how brutal the luggage handlers have become. I travel with Samsonite Poly-carbonate luggage that is supposed to be virtually indestructible but leave it to American Airlines to prove that wrong! Not only have that scratched and scuffed the heck out of my bags, but they have broken the zipper handles completely off and (the best part!) collapsed the corner and cracked the poly-carbonate itself! When I went to American to complain, they offered no assistance other than a blank stare. What do you have to do to ensure that you belongings aren't destroyed?
Carry them on and then don't complain that it takes 30 seconds extra to load an aircraft.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Why not fly with another airline that better suits your needs?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I travel with Samsonite Poly-carbonate luggage that is supposed to be virtually indestructible but leave it to American Airlines to prove that wrong!
Seems like your beef should be at least as much with whomever convinced you that your luggage is virtually indestructible.

I am sure that AA is the only airline that has ever damaged passengers' luggage.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Happened to me too! I didn't notice until I got home, so I didn't even bother calling AA to complain. Samsonite replaced it under warranty after failing to fix it, but I was "done" with the hard side luggage after that so I sold the replacement on Craigslist.

Most recently, I borrowed a hard-side piece from a cousin and it ended up (PHX not LAX) with a broken foot and broken built-in lock. Waiting to hear back from them on that claim.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Forget the bag, it's your fault for buying hard sided luggage. This is why people travel with soft luggage.

The real question is, did your items get from A to B? Yeah? What are you complaining about?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by kb9522
The real question is, did your items get from A to B? Yeah? What are you complaining about?
I think Drlamarca is having an existential crisis

"I hate checking bags because they get damaged, but I also want everyone to pay $25 to check their bags so I have overhead bin space and deplane 55 seconds earlier."
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Have you considered asking people to form a fire line and pass them to your destination for you?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by SamOF
Have you considered asking people to form a fire line and pass them to your destination for you?
Hi OP: The above is brutal .....

Suggestion:
For domestic I have a mid price carry on which is placed in the overhead bin above my seat.
For international I buy cheap soft sided "fabric" bags, last three trips...not bad for $ 30 ^
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:34 pm

Strange.. I have an older Samsonite Oyster which really DOES seem virtually impervious to whatever handling is dished out.... Ive used it on 50 trips TO/FROM the USA...and many, many flights within....
Finally, this year I had to replace the end handle (the towing handle - suitcase has 2 wheels) that's it.
Has to be hard shell..its used as a gun case. I think it's so good I searched through all the ebay type listings to find another one....(they haven't made this type for years)
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
OP is having a bad day?

I have a green Tumi rollerboard that I have had since 1998.

If hijacked, I'd use it as a Kevlar vest.

Back then, Tumi's came with a lifetime guarantee, which I have used once. That was when BA drove something over it, twisting the frame 45 degrees. It still rolled. BA, when confronted, said it had to be checked that way. My response was "Then where do you think that tread mark came from?". Response-"I'm sorry sir, but it is not our responsibility.".

In fact, its going to HKG tomorrow, tread marks and all. (Great conversation starter)
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:41 pm

Simply file a complaint - send photos and they will replace the case. I had a bag destroyed LAX-SYD and they replaced it $180 - money in bank in 3 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.