Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Infant and lap child fares and fees on international travel, including award & upgrades

N.B.: This thread is restricted to discussion of AA (and AA awards, upgrades) ticketing rules for infants. Please do not use this thread to discuss opinions on safety issues associated with travel with lap children versus infants with their own purchased seats. Those discussions should be carried out in the

Travel with Children forum, where many opinions have been shared and are welcome. Thank you for your cooperation.
On AA there is no charge for a lap child on domestic flights. In most instances for international travel the cost will be 10% of the adult fare in the cabin of travel (be aware in some instances / on some other airlines, it can be 25% of the cost of an adult ticket). From aa.com:

Are you traveling with an infant?

Passengers are considered infants if aged over 2 days and less than 2 years at the beginning of their journey. To travel with an infant, you must be an adult passenger aged 16 or older. Adults can travel with up to two infants and in these circumstances, can purchase an additional seat at a child fare.

Although infants can travel as early as 2 days after birth, you'll need to provide a medical certificate for infants traveling within 7 days after birth. Please contact Reservations for more information.

On U.S. domestic flights:

Infants not occupying a seat travel for free. If you prefer to book a seat for your infant, a child fare will apply.

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation. The lap infant will NOT appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may check in online, for domestic flights only, and the boarding pass will be annotated with the words "WITH INFANT" immediately after the traveler's name.

On international flights:

Infants not occupying a seat benefit from a 90% discount on most adult fares

If your infant turns 2 during your trip, we'll provide you with a complimentary seat on the return flight. If the return journey is not on American Airlines, please contact the other airline to check if a seat must be purchased. (Infants and children must provide passports with any required visas; all children not traveling with both parents may be required to have a Letter of Consent signed by both parents.)

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation, and will need to pay the fare at that time. The lab infant and fare WILL appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may NOT check in online for international flights and must check in at the airport.

NOTE: AA will not generally block a complimentary spare seat to be used by an infant or lap child. If seats are available at the airport, it might be possible to be assigned seating to include an adjacent empty seat if the flight will depart with sufficient empty seats.

Bassinets: These are portable, not bulkhead fastened, floor bassinet boxes. Not all aircraft may offer these, and generally are restricted to bulkhead seats.

See the bassinet thread here."]here.

See more here on aa.com.

For AA policies on required documentation for children, see here.

and

This thread regarding the use - and prohibition, on some aircraft - child safety seats.

For older threads on this topic, see:

Print Wikipost

Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
The actual fare rules (not guidance to agents) is murky on this point.

Someone should press a case with DOT.

AA says '10% of the applicable fare' but fails to actually say (what dave noble said) and that is 'what it would cost today if an adult were flying'. The word "Current" is NOT in the fare rule.

That is how aa interprets this rule- no doubt about that- but it is an interpretation of a poorly written tariff. IMO
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Applicable fare is the fare that is applicable to the journey. If one has not met the AP restrictions of a fare, then that fare is not applicable for the journey

I do not see any confusion in the wording
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
AA ( like other carriers ) will charge 10% (excluding taxes) of the lowest available adult fare that it can sell for that journey . (...)
Thank you Dave Noble for the clear and detailed explanation!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Any recent experience with what AA is charging for infant fares on EY award tickets?

I called the AA office in India and put the following flights on hold for 2 adults and 1 infant

BOM - AUH - CDG
INV - LHR - AUH - BOM

Other than the INV - LHR which is in BA economy everything else is in EY First.

AA initially asked me to contact EY to issue infant ticket.

EY quoted me ~ US $ 900 for the infant ticket but said since there is a segment on BA I should check with AA/BA.

I then called AA US back who after putting me on hold for a long time quoted me ~ US $ 1,100 for the infant ticket. I called back once more and they quoted me the exact same far.

Will the infant fare be cheaper if I switch to

BOM - AUH - LHR
INV - LHR - AUH - BOM

Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Approximate Amount of Lap Child Cost from US-Cancun

Has anyone recently flown to Cancun on AA with a lap child that could approximate how much it would cost for the lap child.

The flights we're looking at on American are around $500 all-in in coach. Is it usually around 10% of that fare plus the $70 in taxes or so it costs to go to Mexico?

We're trying to decide on a few short-haul places for vacation, some of which are in the US with no fee, and some in Mexico or Caribbean.

Thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yoshapman
Has anyone recently flown to Cancun on AA with a lap child that could approximate how much it would cost for the lap child.

The flights we're looking at on American are around $500 all-in in coach. Is it usually around 10% of that fare plus the $70 in taxes or so it costs to go to Mexico?

We're trying to decide on a few short-haul places for vacation, some of which are in the US with no fee, and some in Mexico or Caribbean.

Thanks.
It's exactly "10% of the adult revenue fare, plus taxes & fees"
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold

Thanks.
If your search is broader than Cancun, we recently went to the Dominican with our then two-month-old, and AA charged us the $17 in taxes only.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:26 am

Thanks.
I'd be around $110-120. Not something I would let determine my destination as it likely is only a very small % of your total travel cost.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:30 am
Suspended

Up until about 2.5 years ago, for a period of time, Mexico was a particularly good deal in this regard as lap-infant was a flat rate of $30.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
It's exactly "10% of the adult revenue fare, plus taxes & fees"
Not always. Some infant fares have no base fare and are taxes only; I've seen this a lot to the Dominican Republic, for example.

AA's published infant fares for MIA-CUN and CUN-MIA are all $0 for the random dates I pulled up. Taxes should come out to about $17.50, generally the US APHIS, customs, and federal inspection fees (in fact, it looks like the APHIS user fee has gone down recently).
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Question about changing ticketed infant in seat to lap child.

Hello all,

I have a quick question.

My wife, son (7 months) and I are currently in Japan. We are in the middle of LAX-HND-LAX and we are to head back to LAX on Friday 1AM Japan time.

We are all ticketed (econ, SWU on return pending). We bought our infant a ticket so he could be in his car seat for the flight, but he literally was in his car seat for less than 20 min the whole flight on the outbound leg as he was crying every time we tried putting him in his seat. I had used SWU's to get us all into business, but he slept w my wife in her seat. His business seat became a car seat holder!

I am trying to figure out what the best plan of action would be for our flight back. As he will not sit in his car seat, we would like to take him as a lap child. I called and tried to see if we can change his ticket. The change would eat up any residual value left in the ticket, and the infant in lap price currently is $375. If we keep the seats the way they are, I would have to waste a SWU on his seat (as we cant upgrade without him).

Has anyone ran into this problem before? Im contemplating paying the $375 and keeping the SWU but I feel silly canceling a paid ticket and paying more to have my son sit as a lap child.

Any help you guys could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Does your wife have status? If you're waitlisted, are you sure are all going to clear?

I have this issue a lot traveling with our 8mo old, too. My wife does NOT have status, thus she is at the bottom of the waitlist whenever my SWUs are waitlisted. Usually, I get the biz seat and she doesn't.

If your wife has EXP or PLT status, this is less of a consideration.

Otherwise, I suppose it just goes back to how much an SWU is worth to you. For me, it's worth more than $375, so I would pay the lap child fee and cancel the ticket, keeping the additional SWU to use on a trip later in the year.

YMMW, of course!
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by bd24133

I am trying to figure out what the best plan of action would be for our flight back. As he will not sit in his car seat, we would like to take him as a lap child. I called and tried to see if we can change his ticket. The change would eat up any residual value left in the ticket, and the infant in lap price currently is $375. If we keep the seats the way they are, I would have to waste a SWU on his seat (as we cant upgrade without him).
If not using the SWU, doesn't the infant need a business class fare rather than an economt one?

Looking at one way fares HND-LAX for friday, the infant fare is showing as $507.16 in business class and $380.16 in economy.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the reply guys.

My wife is plat. My son has no status (yet). We cleared the swu's without splitting so hopefully will clear on the return too.

The tickets are Econ tix so from what I understand they would be 10% of the lowest available fare. Since there are (or at least we're last I checked) Econ fares left we would pay the Econ fare. I'm assuming if only biz left then we would have to pay 10% of the lowest biz fare, but this I'm not sure of.

One thing that I thought of was splitting the res so that only me and my son upgrade using the SWUs and splitting my wife off and "leaving" her in Econ. Then she could come up and take his seat and have him in her lap. But I'm guessing that the flight crew may have an issue w that.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by bd24133
Thanks for the reply guys.

My wife is plat. My son has no status (yet). We cleared the swu's without splitting so hopefully will clear on the return too.

The tickets are Econ tix so from what I understand they would be 10% of the lowest available fare. Since there are (or at least we're last I checked) Econ fares left we would pay the Econ fare. I'm assuming if only biz left then we would have to pay 10% of the lowest biz fare, but this I'm not sure of.

One thing that I thought of was splitting the res so that only me and my son upgrade using the SWUs and splitting my wife off and "leaving" her in Econ. Then she could come up and take his seat and have him in her lap. But I'm guessing that the flight crew may have an issue w that.
If not using SWUs to upgrade the infant, then I am pretty sure that the infant will need to pay 10% of the fare (plus taxes) of the cabin in which the infant travels

If in business class, will be 10% of lowest applicable business class fare, so will need to pay an additional $127 on the economy fare

If you book business class for yourself and wish to swap with wife, that will be likely allowed, but you cannot move to have the adult sharing the seat with the infant

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.