Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Infant and lap child fares and fees on international travel, including award & upgrades

N.B.: This thread is restricted to discussion of AA (and AA awards, upgrades) ticketing rules for infants. Please do not use this thread to discuss opinions on safety issues associated with travel with lap children versus infants with their own purchased seats. Those discussions should be carried out in the

Travel with Children forum, where many opinions have been shared and are welcome. Thank you for your cooperation.
On AA there is no charge for a lap child on domestic flights. In most instances for international travel the cost will be 10% of the adult fare in the cabin of travel (be aware in some instances / on some other airlines, it can be 25% of the cost of an adult ticket). From aa.com:

Are you traveling with an infant?

Passengers are considered infants if aged over 2 days and less than 2 years at the beginning of their journey. To travel with an infant, you must be an adult passenger aged 16 or older. Adults can travel with up to two infants and in these circumstances, can purchase an additional seat at a child fare.

Although infants can travel as early as 2 days after birth, you'll need to provide a medical certificate for infants traveling within 7 days after birth. Please contact Reservations for more information.

On U.S. domestic flights:

Infants not occupying a seat travel for free. If you prefer to book a seat for your infant, a child fare will apply.

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation. The lap infant will NOT appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may check in online, for domestic flights only, and the boarding pass will be annotated with the words "WITH INFANT" immediately after the traveler's name.

On international flights:

Infants not occupying a seat benefit from a 90% discount on most adult fares

If your infant turns 2 during your trip, we'll provide you with a complimentary seat on the return flight. If the return journey is not on American Airlines, please contact the other airline to check if a seat must be purchased. (Infants and children must provide passports with any required visas; all children not traveling with both parents may be required to have a Letter of Consent signed by both parents.)

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation, and will need to pay the fare at that time. The lab infant and fare WILL appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may NOT check in online for international flights and must check in at the airport.

NOTE: AA will not generally block a complimentary spare seat to be used by an infant or lap child. If seats are available at the airport, it might be possible to be assigned seating to include an adjacent empty seat if the flight will depart with sufficient empty seats.

Bassinets: These are portable, not bulkhead fastened, floor bassinet boxes. Not all aircraft may offer these, and generally are restricted to bulkhead seats.

See the bassinet thread here."]here.

See more here on aa.com.

For AA policies on required documentation for children, see here.

and

This thread regarding the use - and prohibition, on some aircraft - child safety seats.

For older threads on this topic, see:

Print Wikipost

Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by XCstud
I have a couple of domestic flights next month with a lap infant. Do I need to call in and add him to the reservation ahead of time or do I just do it at check-in at airport?
I would do it ahead of time. The simplest way to add lap infants is to give name and DOB along with all relevant Record Locators to AA Twitter team. This will then allow you to do OLCI and save the headache of having to see an agent.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Admirals, Accor, HHG, Global Entry
We took our 1 year old on a single leg in-lap and were able to add the infant during booking. I just checked and you still can do it that way. I suggest for the future, if applicable, adding at the time of booking. Our children also have FFA's. When we book, the only thing we have to type in is those numbers and everything fills in from there. We did find it worth it to buy the extra seat @ about $313, although barely used. And traveling with all girls, we could use the extra 3 bags. When we go to Disney, the curbside check-in asks if we are moving to Orlando. hehehe
That is interesting about the Twitter method. What do you do? Just publicly tweet the record locator and personal information? I would be surprised they do that. Is the communication blocked from others seeing it?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by JMGPhila
We took our 1 year old on a single leg in-lap and were able to add the infant during booking. I just checked and you still can do it that way. I suggest for the future, if applicable, adding at the time of booking. Our children also have FFA's. When we book, the only thing we have to type in is those numbers and everything fills in from there. We did find it worth it to buy the extra seat @ about $313, although barely used. And traveling with all girls, we could use the extra 3 bags. When we go to Disney, the curbside check-in asks if we are moving to Orlando. hehehe
That is interesting about the Twitter method. What do you do? Just publicly tweet the record locator and personal information? I would be surprised they do that. Is the communication blocked from others seeing it?
1. I think you can only add FF# if you are buying the infant a seat. Otherwise AA.com offers no way to add a lap infant online.

2. Only use Direct Messages (DM) on Twitter. I do not send any sensitive information like Record Locator or DOB via regular tweets. That being said, DM doesn't feel super safe either but I have used it for expediency.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by smilinganddialing
1. I think you can only add FF# if you are buying the infant a seat. Otherwise AA.com offers no way to add a lap infant online.

2. Only use Direct Messages (DM) on Twitter. I do not send any sensitive information like Record Locator or DOB via regular tweets. That being said, DM doesn't feel super safe either but I have used it for expediency.
You are correct. I was completely wrong. I am not sure why I was so positive you can book an In-lap online... Maybe that was US Airways days???
Thanks for the tip about Twitter. I do not have any interest in it, but maybe I will sign-up so I can communicate that way in the future. Sounds helpful.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
I always called in advance for our twins when they were lap infants. IMO it made life a lot easier as their information was in the record.

I believe technically one doesn't need to call in advance however.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by smilinganddialing

Asked my wife. She said I called US Airways to make the reservation over the phone after I picked the flights we wanted, viewing them online. We booked one-way to MCO with Lap-Infant. On the route back, I booked online after I signed her up for FFA and we bought a seat for her just in case we wanted to use it. It was on an A330 and being a week under 2 years old we were nervous her being four feet away, but she was allowed to sit in-lap during take-off and landing and was lying back watching Planes Fire & Rescue for most of the flight. She came and sat with me and played Bejeweled for a bit. Quiet as could possibly be. Thank goodness... When we would fly that aircraft subsequently, my wife and her would sit in consecutive middle seats, so she was able to reach to hand her stuff. My other daughters of course had to have window seats. I wish AA would continue using that aircraft on that route.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:20 am

TATL Infant Bassinets - which aircraft?

Does anyone have any experience on AA international flights with bassinets (ex-NYC)? Seems like most of their TATL flights don't have bassinets or its on airport request only. Which aircraft models have bassinets? Any tips much appreciated.

I know BA and the EU carriers are pretty decent at providing them.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC
on airport request only
That's the routine documented on aa.com.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...g-children.jsp
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:38 pm

AA award ticket on Cathay (and infant fare - to merge)

guys

after buying a business class award ticket on AA, can I then call Cathay directly to buy the lap infant fare? That's what an AA person told me.

In the case if I buy it directly from AA, the agent was unclear if I pay 10% of the current business class revenue ticket or 10% of the full fare. He said he didn't know till the reservation was fully booked which I wasn't willing to do yet

Thanks
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sam007
guys

after buying a business class award ticket on AA, can I then call Cathay directly to buy the lap infant fare? That's what an AA person told me.

In the case if I buy it directly from AA, the agent was unclear if I pay 10% of the current business class revenue ticket or 10% of the full fare. He said he didn't know till the reservation was fully booked which I wasn't willing to do yet
Need to check if it's 10% to begin with, there's a chance it might not be:

Infant Fares - CX Prime or AA Codeshare Operated by CX

...The fare may be 25% of the adult fare rather than the 10% we normally see.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:46 pm

I guess it's better to just purchase a seat with miles in that case
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Can you use AA miles for an infant ticket?

Looking at CX's lowest business class fare from LAX-HKG for example, the infant fare is 10% of the base fare , plus taxes

If purchased from AA, it will be 10% of the lowest fare that it can sell for travel on CX. Some discount fares may not be able to be sold by AA

If you go to CX for the ticket, you are likely to be directed back to AA to issue the associated infant ticket
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:22 pm

Turns out it's $800 odd for a JFK-HKG flight which is better value than using 140k miles

I actually have my AA miles distributed amongst 2 accounts which sucks because I can't do everything on a single PNR which would help if I cancel as cancelation fees are lower. Any tricks to do a reservation on a single PNR but pull miles from 2 accounts?

Thx
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are using 2 accounts, then you will be needing to have 2 bookings
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Jelly of the month club
Using SWUs for J to F

I booked a package through AAVacations in Business from JFK to LHR with a lap infant. I called the EXP line to apply SWUs for my wife and I for the outbound and was given a figure of $700 EXTRA for the lap infant. I understand its 10% of the fare, but this would be 10% of the current roundtrip fare and ignore the 10% paid for the business fare.

Is that correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.