Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Infant and lap child fares and fees on international travel, including award & upgrades

N.B.: This thread is restricted to discussion of AA (and AA awards, upgrades) ticketing rules for infants. Please do not use this thread to discuss opinions on safety issues associated with travel with lap children versus infants with their own purchased seats. Those discussions should be carried out in the

Travel with Children forum, where many opinions have been shared and are welcome. Thank you for your cooperation.
On AA there is no charge for a lap child on domestic flights. In most instances for international travel the cost will be 10% of the adult fare in the cabin of travel (be aware in some instances / on some other airlines, it can be 25% of the cost of an adult ticket). From aa.com:

Are you traveling with an infant?

Passengers are considered infants if aged over 2 days and less than 2 years at the beginning of their journey. To travel with an infant, you must be an adult passenger aged 16 or older. Adults can travel with up to two infants and in these circumstances, can purchase an additional seat at a child fare.

Although infants can travel as early as 2 days after birth, you'll need to provide a medical certificate for infants traveling within 7 days after birth. Please contact Reservations for more information.

On U.S. domestic flights:

Infants not occupying a seat travel for free. If you prefer to book a seat for your infant, a child fare will apply.

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation. The lap infant will NOT appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may check in online, for domestic flights only, and the boarding pass will be annotated with the words "WITH INFANT" immediately after the traveler's name.

On international flights:

Infants not occupying a seat benefit from a 90% discount on most adult fares

If your infant turns 2 during your trip, we'll provide you with a complimentary seat on the return flight. If the return journey is not on American Airlines, please contact the other airline to check if a seat must be purchased. (Infants and children must provide passports with any required visas; all children not traveling with both parents may be required to have a Letter of Consent signed by both parents.)

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation, and will need to pay the fare at that time. The lab infant and fare WILL appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may NOT check in online for international flights and must check in at the airport.

NOTE: AA will not generally block a complimentary spare seat to be used by an infant or lap child. If seats are available at the airport, it might be possible to be assigned seating to include an adjacent empty seat if the flight will depart with sufficient empty seats.

Bassinets: These are portable, not bulkhead fastened, floor bassinet boxes. Not all aircraft may offer these, and generally are restricted to bulkhead seats.

See the bassinet thread here."]here.

See more here on aa.com.

For AA policies on required documentation for children, see here.

and

This thread regarding the use - and prohibition, on some aircraft - child safety seats.

For older threads on this topic, see:

Print Wikipost

Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by whitesol
I feel like I just got a steal. Our trip in first class (business for the last leg) only cost us $153 for our lap child! This was booked through AA on JAL and CX!

SFO > HND > HKG > CEB
Have you flown that yet?

If they messed up and you get surprised at the airport when departing it will be walk up F fares as the basis (although admittedly I dont know what JAL and CX policies are...)

Id have my travel agent look into the records and make sure the infant has a proper ticket for all legs. I recognize the tension between 'check and make sure' and 'dont look a gift horse in the mouth'
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Have you flown that yet?

If they messed up and you get surprised at the airport when departing it will be walk up F fares as the basis (although admittedly I dont know what JAL and CX policies are...)

Id have my travel agent look into the records and make sure the infant has a proper ticket for all legs. I recognize the tension between 'check and make sure' and 'dont look a gift horse in the mouth'
We fly on monday, you're right that i don't want to unnecessarily have them look at the ticket incase they dropped off the last 0 or something. I did get my JAL and CX confirmation numbers and they look correct on their website as a lap child (mentioning infant in seating). I am even able to special order diapers on all the legs plus special infant meals, so I take that as a good sign.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:24 am

Hey guys,

I did have a pretty sour experience recently. I bought reward tickets for wife and I to go to Europe this summer with our 6 month old son. Now, when I bought the tickets, I did not completely think through it and bought 3 one way tickets. In my defense, I was essentially looking to lock in those legs that had availability. We ended booking MIA-HEL as there was a good reward availability. then I got HEL-CDG and finally got CDG-MIA. Well... that turned out as a terrible move when I called to buy the infant fare. These one way international are ridiculous, including $1,700 HEL-CDG (really???). So I'm stuck paying 10% of all these fares... That's like 400 + 170 + 300... to sit on my laps. AA swore to me that they could not consolidate the awards under one record locator, that would have made it like 300 at most... Anyway, lesson learned.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL GM, Avis First, Sixt Plat
Upgraded lap infant fee process

Hi guys,

I'm taking my 13-month old son on a 9+ hour flight, so I'm considering buying coach and then using eVIPs to go to biz. I know they charge 10% of the fare for the class you fly in, but I couldn't find anything about the process and how often they really do charge extra for it.

Is it an automated system that kicks in as soon as your upgrade goes through? If not, what are your experiences with it?

Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Once you are upgraded, you will need to change the infant ticket to a business class ticket in order to travel

Will need to pay the difference between amount paid already and the current price for an infant on the route being flown

I do not believe that AA will automatically rebook and charge the infant fare

I would suggest checking what the extra cost will be for the infant before committing to an SWU upgrade to avoid an unpleasant surprise
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GiantVulture
I'm taking my 13-month old son on a 9+ hour flight, so I'm considering buying coach and then using eVIPs to go to biz. I know they charge 10% of the fare for the class you fly in, but I couldn't find anything about the process and how often they really do charge extra for it.
AA charges the lap infant the required fare and taxes (100% of the taxes) 100% of the time. If you don't arrange the upfare for the infant until you get to the gate, the 10% fare may be computed using full fare J instead of an advance purchase discount business fare, so I'd call to upfare the infant as soon as the upgrade clears.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL GM, Avis First, Sixt Plat
Cool. Thanks, guys. Probably not the smartest way of doing this, isn't it? I guess I should start calling it baby fare roulette.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:44 am

I have an award on CX using AA miles in J. Layover in HKG is more than 9 hours, I'm hoping something in J will open up in earlier flight as it closer by.
My question is should I wait till last minute to add lap infant in case things open up in earlier flight from HKG or add lap infant now and if something opens up in earlier flight cancel lap infant and re-ticket it? Not sure what the cancellation policy of lap infant is.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sheldor
I have an award on CX using AA miles in J. Layover in HKG is more than 9 hours, I'm hoping something in J will open up in earlier flight as it closer by.
My question is should I wait till last minute to add lap infant in case things open up in earlier flight from HKG or add lap infant now and if something opens up in earlier flight cancel lap infant and re-ticket it? Not sure what the cancellation policy of lap infant is.
What the cancellation fees will be will likely be dependant upon the rules of the normal adult fare to which it relates. Some airlines' fares have an exception to penalties for infant fares
Old Jun 25, 2016, 1:55 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sheldor
It may be different for CX, but for 2 award tickets I have coming up on AA flights and on EY flights, the infant fare was fully refundable for both.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Infant on domestic segment only

I have an award booked in J for MIA - JFK - ZRH. Can I bring a lap infant for the Mia to jfk leg only and not pay for it as it's domestic?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
I have an award booked in J for MIA - JFK - ZRH. Can I bring a lap infant for the Mia to jfk leg only and not pay for it as it's domestic?
Is it a single itinerary with a normal stopover / connection in JFK? How do you plan to do that... leave the child in the AC while you're gone?

J/K. I doubt you'll be able to swing this.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by econometrics
Is it a single itinerary with a normal stopover / connection in JFK? How do you plan to do that... leave the child in the AC while you're gone?

J/K. I doubt you'll be able to swing this.
Single itinerary with 6 hours in JFK. Hopefully enough time to get the kids settled by relatives, or at least find a good hiding spot for them in the AC 😀

I thought it was a long shot, but I called the exp desk and the agent said it would be fine and noted it in the record.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
Single itinerary with 6 hours in JFK. Hopefully enough time to get the kids settled by relatives, or at least find a good hiding spot for them in the AC 😀

I thought it was a long shot, but I called the exp desk and the agent said it would be fine and noted it in the record.
This is great to know, thanks for sharing your experience and I am glad it worked out! ^
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Do I need to add lap infant to reservation ahead of time for domestic flight?

I have a couple of domestic flights next month with a lap infant. Do I need to call in and add him to the reservation ahead of time or do I just do it at check-in at airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.