Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
oneworld nonstop flights between USA and Australia are operated by American Airlines / AA and Qantas / QF. US gateways include DFW, JFK, LAX, SFO. Australia gateways include BNE, MEL, SYD.

Alternatives include using Hawaiian / HA from HNL, Fiji Airways / FJ from Los Angeles / LAX or SFO via NAN or Air Tahiti Nui / TN via PPT. (QF codeshares on Jetstar are no longer bookable as AA awards). You must route direct or South Pacific; awards via Asia, or transatlantic require two awards. Premium Economy services may not be booked with AAdvantage miles yet.

Awards using HA / Hawaiian Airlines require two awards, and one may not use HA between the mainland and Hawaii.

Only MileSAAver Awards are available on AA partners.

The usual award rules regarding Maximum Permitted Miles (MPM) and unconstructed origin-destination routings sold by the prevailing carrier apply.

Qantas releases awards ~355 days out; AA can not book anything beyond 331 days out. Qantas awards are challenging to secure. AA MileSAAver flights seem to be scarce on the LAX-SYD routing, even when aircraft go out with empty seats. AAnytime awards can be used on AA, but dynamic pricing may see those for as much as 225,000 miles one way in First.

Note: there are fees involved in award changes from oneworld airlines to non-oneworld partners or vice versa.

See here for current AA redemption charts.

Threads that can help include:

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) (you must use MileSAAver awards on partners; AAnytime wards may only be used on AA.)

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) (consolidated)

AAdvantage Miles Awards: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, awards, etc. (consolidated)

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AAdvantage miles awards to / from Australia (consolidated)

Edit (post pandemic list at 06 Aug 2022 by Mwenenzi)
Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia. Following the pandemic, routes are being restabilised and some new routes. Schedules can change. Route restart dates subject to change.
  • Air Canada AC YVR – SYD BNE. [Star Alliance] .
  • Air New Zealand NZ LAX SFO IAH YVR via AKL. [Star Alliance]
  • Air Tahiti Nui TN LAX – via Tahiti & AKL. Last segments on QF codeshares. (AA & DL partner)
  • American Airlines AA LAX-SYD due to restart 29 Oct 2022 [OneWorld Alliance]
  • Delta DL LAX – SYD. [Skyteam Alliance]
  • Fiji Airways FJ LAX SFO HNL – BNE SYD MEL via NAN Fiji. (OneWorld Alliance connect. QF AA & AS partner)
  • Hawaiian HA HNL – SYD. Pre CV19 also used to fly to BNE (AA & VA partner)
  • Jetstar JQ HNL – SYD. Pre CV19 also used to fly to/from BNE & MEL.
  • Qantas QF SYD - LAX DFW HNL YVR*; BNE - LAX ; MEL- LAX. {* seasonal}. MEL-DFW due to start 02 Dec 2022 (new route). SYD – SFO due to restart 30 Oct 2022. Pre CV19 also had SYD-SFO & SYD-JFK(via LAX). [OneWorld Alliance]
  • United UA MEL-SFO, SYD-LAX SFO. BNE-SFO from 31 Oct 2022 (new route). MEL-LAX and SYD-IAH due to restart 30 Oct 2022. [Star Alliance]. (VA partner)
  • and others via Asia & Middle East
Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from New Zealand (not from all airports to all airports)
Following the pandemic routes are being restabilised and with some new routes. Schedules can change. Route restart dates subject to change
  • American Airlines AA . DFW-AKL due to start 29 Oct 2022 to 25 Mar 2023(new route) LAX-AKL due to restart unknow. AA was to fly LAX-CHC 3 days a week from Oct 2020. [Oneworld Alliance]
  • Air Canada AC YVR – AKL Due to restart 12 Nov 2022 [Star Alliance]
  • Air New Zealand NZ LAX SFO IAH YVR – AKL. Pre CV19 also had ORD. [Star Alliance]
  • Air Tahiti Nui TN LAX - AKL via Tahiti (AA & DL partner)
  • Fiji Airways FJ LAX SFO HNL - AKL via NAN Fiji Pre CV19 used to fly to WLG CHC. (QF AA & AS partner).
  • Hawaiian HA HNL – AKL (AA & VA partner)
  • Qantas QF LAX SFO DFW JFK HNL YVR* via SYD BNE & MEL. {* seasonal} [Oneworld Alliance])
  • United UA SFO – AKL [Star Alliance]
  • And others via Australia, Asia & Middle East

Member Mwenenzi posted

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Mxflyer Welcome to FT

Many threads on this topic.
USA <---->Australia business class awards are one of the hardest to get. An award in ~6 to 8 weeks time (short notice) even harder. 2 people on the same flight harder again.
Hard but may not be impossible. At times availability can increase close in.
What ffp's are you currently a signed up member of?

If you look only at LAX SYD you are restricting your options a lot, and then some. Look at SFO, IAH & DFW and BNE MEL. BNE can have better availability than other airports. Domestic USA & Australia flights as needed

Via Asia is the other option, but would be 2 awards. BKK, HKG, TPE, SIN, NRT, HND and others. Due to political unrest some HKG flights have low loads

They do not need to fly the same airline/ffp/routes/airports out & back. Look for one ways.

AA ff miles cannot be used to upgrade QF flights. Anyway upgrades, with any airline on the USA Aust routes are hard.
Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia
Edit
List deleted due to out of date post Covid-19 pandemic (see above)

AA & UA also fly LAX-AKL. Then a 3:30hr flight across to Aust.
Via Fiji or on TN can work

AA forum
Consider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews

Credit card transfer links
Print Wikipost

AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Granlor
You could also try via LAX/PPT/AKL on TN but the holiday timing is against you.
Yeah I will keep that option in mind. It does seem like from most the posts here that a lot of the success is coming from the LAX->BNE->SYD->AKL route which may not be worth it given all the time it adds (esp from DC). Crazy to look at all the business seat availability on the direct flight and no awards. Will have to be vigilant and hope.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
delete
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by burnthebarn
I'm in a similar boat to previous poster. My fiance has her eye on a honeymoon in NZ. The time that works best for me given work is around the holidays when everyone else is off. Thus I was thinking around December 2019. I've been racking up AA miles for the trip hoping to score business savers on the way there and flying economy on the way back. I recently noticed as posted here that most of those 80k business savers are economy over the pacific. Some of the first savers at 110k are first/business all the way. I feel somewhat confident that we could find econ availability in December both ways (misplaced?). My main questions would be

1) Anything in particular I should be doing to look for these business award savers? I've been looking on qantas and alaskan for fiji availability about 330 days out from today just as a reference point. As this December/January rolls around I will call AA since I know there's availability they see that we can't. Seems like its also worth trying that aussie line
2) Debating getting a FE subscription for a few months as well, worth it? Is it helpful?
3) Do the 80k awards even exist anymore with bis/first all the way or do they typically come at 110k?
4) Will it be impossible to find 2 seats in early december returning mid december? love to go later around xmas but assuming that's impossible / blacked out?
5) I'm guessing the answer is no but can you go from CHC or AKL to NAN using AA miles as a standalone flight?

Flying from RIC/IAD/DCA. Dream would be to go IAD->LAX->AKL (80k saver) AKL->CHC (paid) CHC->NAN (paid) NAN->LAX->IAD (40k or 80k saver)

Any recent thoughts / tips / success DPs would be helpful thanks
Since you are asking what is happening in the great future it's hard to answer, any DP now, won't be valid in Dec 2019. As others have pointed out there are many ways to get there, of course, non-stop flights are preferable but I have a feeling that won't happen. LAX-HKG, then HKG-AKL.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Flying from RIC/IAD/DCA. Dream would be to go IAD->LAX->AKL (80k saver) AKL->CHC (paid) CHC->NAN (paid) NAN->LAX->IAD (40k or 80k saver)

I've had more success routing via BNE or SYD than direct. I've only been able to find single tickets in J on AKL-LAX, then had to purchase additional with cash.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:59 pm

I'm in a similar boat to previous poster. My fiance has her eye on a honeymoon in NZ. The time that works best for me given work is around the holidays when everyone else is off. Thus I was thinking around December 2019. I've been racking up AA miles for the trip hoping to score business savers on the way there and flying economy on the way back. I recently noticed as posted here that most of those 80k business savers are economy over the pacific. Some of the first savers at 110k are first/business all the way. I feel somewhat confident that we could find econ availability in December both ways (misplaced?). My main questions would be

1) Anything in particular I should be doing to look for these business award savers? I've been looking on qantas and alaskan for fiji availability about 330 days out from today just as a reference point. As this December/January rolls around I will call AA since I know there's availability they see that we can't. Seems like its also worth trying that aussie line
2) Debating getting a FE subscription for a few months as well, worth it? Is it helpful?
3) Do the 80k awards even exist anymore with bis/first all the way or do they typically come at 110k?
4) Will it be impossible to find 2 seats in early december returning mid december? love to go later around xmas but assuming that's impossible / blacked out?
5) I'm guessing the answer is no but can you go from CHC or AKL to NAN using AA miles as a standalone flight?

Re QF to OZ: December is even more difficult given the time of year, but certainly not impossible. The key is persistence and flexibility. These long-haul awards are really where I think EXP shines since EXPs have the ability to grab award tickets as they pop up and then refine as necessary when things change. I think getting an EF sub is a no brainer and couldn't even fathom trying to get 2 R/T tix to OZ/NZ without it. I'd keep watching QF space (as others have said, keep an eye on BNE as that tends to be a bit easier than SYD/MEL). FWIW, I actually think QF's DFW flight is the easiest to get P or U space and I tend to see that more frequently than I see LAX-SYD/MEL. And, of course, your U/T space from WAS to DFW will be easier than to LAX (U is very rare on the DCA-LAX flight. It pops up occasionally on the IAD flights, but it's typical 1 U and 1 T seat far out. If you don't mind burning the day in LA on the return, the LAX-IAD redeye is usually the flight with best availability).

80k exists.

IME QF will randomly open up fairly decent award space a few times per year. It tends to be completely random, but one day, I'll notice there is decent space. It usually lasts a few days and then dries up. (In fact, last Tues or Wed this happened and there was lots of P and U space for next spring. Lots has tried up, but still decent space there). When that happens, keep an eye on the mid-week flights and make sure you're looking for both P and U. I often will see 1 P and 1 U seat on the same flight, which is great. If that happens, take them.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by deeruck
I've had more success routing via BNE or SYD than direct. I've only been able to find single tickets in J on AKL-LAX, then had to purchase additional with cash.
Thanks for the feedback, I've noticed the same myself just scrolling through the coming months and managed to find one J through BNE at 80k, and nothing else.

This makes me wonder if there are DPs on attempting to use two different browsers to book the same 80k award ticket at the same time when they are showing 1, would they approve both? I've done this when two paid fares independently are less expensive than two together and it has worked (i.e. I was able to book two separate tickets at the same listed fare which was lower than buying 2 at once). Fully acknowledge this may not work with awards, but would be interested to hear thoughts/DPs.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0
Re QF to OZ: December is even more difficult given the time of year, but certainly not impossible. The key is persistence and flexibility. These long-haul awards are really where I think EXP shines since EXPs have the ability to grab award tickets as they pop up and then refine as necessary when things change. I think getting an EF sub is a no brainer and couldn't even fathom trying to get 2 R/T tix to OZ/NZ without it. I'd keep watching QF space (as others have said, keep an eye on BNE as that tends to be a bit easier than SYD/MEL). FWIW, I actually think QF's DFW flight is the easiest to get P or U space and I tend to see that more frequently than I see LAX-SYD/MEL. And, of course, your U/T space from WAS to DFW will be easier than to LAX (U is very rare on the DCA-LAX flight. It pops up occasionally on the IAD flights, but it's typical 1 U and 1 T seat far out. If you don't mind burning the day in LA on the return, the LAX-IAD redeye is usually the flight with best availability).

80k exists.

IME QF will randomly open up fairly decent award space a few times per year. It tends to be completely random, but one day, I'll notice there is decent space. It usually lasts a few days and then dries up. (In fact, last Tues or Wed this happened and there was lots of P and U space for next spring. Lots has tried up, but still decent space there). When that happens, keep an eye on the mid-week flights and make sure you're looking for both P and U. I often will see 1 P and 1 U seat on the same flight, which is great. If that happens, take them.
Thanks for the thorough response. Even with the EF sub are you still checking QF/FJ daily weekly?

The upside is that we should be pretty flexible with our schedules, just want a decently long trip sometime in December that hits both NZ plus Fiji
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Just an FYI, I was browsing the Qantas forum and noticed this:
qantas to fly BNE/ORD/BNE nonstop in JV with AA approved

Flights between BNE and ORD may benefit some folks looking for mileage redemptions.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:21 am

Is FJ award availability on AA.com a new (and real) enhancement?
FJ 811
11:00 PM
LAX
5:20 AM
NAN
Fiji AirwaysMeal: Breakfast Aircraft: 332 Booking Code: U Class: Business
FJ 923THU MAY 23

8:40 PM
NAN
10:55 PM
BNE
Fiji Airways Meal: Beverage service Aircraft: 73H Booking Code: X Total travel time: 30hr 55min Class: Economy
JDiver and Spiff like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Yep, announcement was reported in a number of places a couple of days ago.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
FJ 811
11:00 PM
LAX
5:20 AM
NAN
Fiji AirwaysMeal: Breakfast Aircraft: 332 Booking Code: U Class: Business
FJ 923THU MAY 23

8:40 PM
NAN
10:55 PM
BNE
Fiji Airways Meal: Beverage service Aircraft: 73H Booking Code: X Total travel time: 30hr 55min Class: Economy
who takes 30 hour segments?

especially in economy?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by wco81

especially in economy?
You wouldn't enjoy a full day in Fiji? There are shorter connections available in the schedule.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by wco81

especially in economy?
Ummm, that has no relevance to the point of the post and in any event the longest segment in the example posted is in Business @:-)
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
FWIW I wanted to use my miles to fly to Australia, so I booked the following

JFK-MAD-TLV using AA miles
TLV-IST-SIN using SQ miles
SIN-SYD using AA miles.

all in business, low level award.

Great success! /sarc
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:22 pm

Is dfw-> syd-> mel economy for May/june 2019 on QF the best bet to get to Mel from DFW using AA miles with no chance of availability of 4 biz seats with any other possible decent routing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.